Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • For those who travel – bike travel box recommendations? Hard or soft case?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Moving back to Oz in a few weeks, want to take one bike with me on the plane so as to have something to ride for the period before all our stuff arrives by sea… trying to decide what to go for… considering the following:

Polaris EVA Bike Pod

Evoc Bike Travel Bag

ProBox Bike Carrying Case

Weight is a consideration as I also need to fit some clothes in their and stay under 20kg (hopefully), so the Polaris one is tempting, but not sure just how sturdy it would be?

What do you guys use for your travels?

crogthomas
    Free Member

For a one-off trip is there anything wrong with a cardboard box from your local bike shop? That and some spacers to go between the dropouts. Probably free, and you can spend the money saved on something more fun.

hels
    Free Member

For trips to NZ I always take the hard shell box, surprisingly hassle free. But then my dad comes to the airport with his trailer !! And it’s not easy to get on the bus, but I did manage it once..

And I go via USA where you get heaps more luggage allowance.

meandyuk

Got the Polaris Bike Pod and took it to Aus. Works well and offers decent protection, it’s in good nick still after the journey. The only downside I would say is the lack of handle which means pulling it around is a bit of hassle – you have to use the strapping.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I used to have a hard shell and it was a PITA!
    Heavy, cumbersome and a uni-directional wheel at each corner meant going round corners was a bit problematic.

Easyjet managed to destroy it and gave me a fraction of it’s replacement cost which was enough to cover the cost of a soft shell which I’m much happier with. It’s lined with a bike box, free from my friendly LBS, to give it extra rigidity.

For a one-off just a cardboard box would probly see you right.

psychle
    Free Member

What sort of bike did you take meandyuk? And was it your only piece of checked in luggage?

Will also be flying from Sydney to Townsville, and maybe one or two more flights in Oz over the next few months, hence considering purchasing a proper case… we do need to drive from Sydney airport to our folks place, so a big box will be a problem to fit in a car perhaps?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Evoc is brilliant. Quick and easy to pack and unpack. Safe and secure. Obvious choice for multiple trips. Easy to pull and stable. Used umpteen times and still looks like new. You do need to pack your bike well.

RobHilton
    Free Member

so a big box will be a problem to fit in a car perhaps

I used to get mine in the back of a VW Polo – just

chutney13
    Free Member

evoc is brilliant. Nice wide wheels so you can go fast too.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Re your comment about putting “extras” in the box, you need to read the fine print on your booking as certainly on short haul, a bike means just that. I’ve heard of the airlines making you remove helmets and shoes and they definitely take a dim veiw of non bike related luggage being in the box. The one we use is from Edinburgh bikes as we got it cheap when they opened in Sheffield, it suits a road bike best and is too small for most mountainbikes.

tonyd

Surprised no-ones mentioned Bike Box Alan yet:

http://bikeboxalan.co.uk/

Although I just looked and they’re considerably more than when I bought mine. Great box though, if you’re looking for something that will get used a lot it might be worth the investment.

I’m not sure I’d buy one if it’s just for MTB, mine was primarily for transporting a carbon road bike (but takes an Orange Five no problem).

komondor
    Free Member

How about the tifosi bike bag that chain is selling.
    Is that any good?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35557

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve seen lots of boxes, bags and cases over the last few years. The ones which have stood out for me are:
    Top Place: The Evoc bag. I wish I had one. So easy to pack and well protected. Not light but you save in the amount of padding you need. Wide wheelbase is superb for moving about without tipping.
    Second Place: Mark from STW turned up with a cardboard case with ready cut foam inside. Very well protected. Downside was that it had no wheels. I can’t remember where it was from but it was a proper thing, not home made.

I have the CRC bag. It works well, nice pockets and wheels. Downsides are no padding so you have to add your own. Also the wheels are too close together so it tips easily. (If you put a book under the BB then it helps apparently!)

I’ve seen people turning up with hard cases and they are great protection but heavy so you’ll have to be careful for allowances. Also, some of them were very tight for a proper FS bike.

psychle
    Free Member

Still trying to decide on this one… any more advice chaps? 😀

romster
    Free Member

http://www.bike-cases.co.uk/

These are veryyyyyyy nice. Well finished and look good too. More importantly will do a great job of keeping your bike nice and safe.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d go for an Evoc, all their kit seems to be really well made and designed.

NZCol

I fly backwards and forwards to NZ with my bike reasonably regularly. Always use my serfas hard case – with my Tallboy in it weighs bang on 20kg inc some other gear. Always means I can relax knowing my bike won’t turn up squashed (which has happened twice using cardboard and corflute boxes – they get put on their side and other stuff stacked on top). Saying that, its a risk/reward thing – if you are prepared to risk it then just use a decent bike box and line it with stolen real estate signs – build in some cross braces.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ahve used these http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=other&product_id=90
    and find them fine although a bit of cardboard and polystyrene helps piece of mind I have even adapted two so I can carry the tandem in them.

they work very well with the weight of the bike holding everything together as you carry them and can be folded up when not in use

DickBarton

Been abroad twice – once with softbag, once with hardbox…going by both experiences I’d say softbag every time.

Soft bag was brand new and apart from a single scuff in the bottom corner, it was still looking immaculate as it came out at either end of the trip (Edinburgh to Austria and back again). Only damage was a slight bend in the rotor as I put the wheel in the wrong way round when packing.

Hard case – trip was Edinburgh to southern Spain and back again – both done on cheaper airlines – my box got dropped from the plane to the ground unloading in Edinburgh – lost brake pads and the box was irrepairably damaged – huge hole in it and if the loose stuff wasn’t tied round the frame, I’d have lost more than just the disc pads. Only loose stuff was what wasn’t attached to the bike – pedals and seat.

No damage on way out (other than 1 lock being twisted, but again I put that down the it being a bit wobbly and probably just knocked) but way back was worrying after seeing the damage.

On that basis I think the baggage handlers took extra care with the soft case rather than the hard case incident…so I’d say go soft case!

psychle
    Free Member

Where’d you buy your Serfas Bike Armor box NZcol? Can’t seem to find a UK stockist?

andrewh
    Free Member

Take a box. A bag is not worth the risk.
    I took a box to Oz, £50 off fleabay. Yes it ate into my luggage allowance but my bike survived. Met friends there, all 6 had bags and 5 had made the journey unscathed… With several thousand pounds worth of carbon I’m not going to take any chances. Might risk a bag if taking the old SS on hols but not the race bike.
    I jus stuffed mine full of riding kit and spare tyres as padding, worked very well.

Travis

British Cycling and Team Sky use padded bags for there bikes.
    If the bike is packed properly, should be okay.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 Evoc brilliant design and very easy to get bike in and out. Easy to pull around asw ell.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve used the dhb case from Wiggle for two trips to ride the Cape Argus in Cape Town. It costs about £170 IIRC and comes with two really good wheel bags, which are useful even when you’re not using the case. The construction is just about OK; it got a real bang on the second trip, which bent the frame and distorted the lid as well as stoving in one corner but the bike was undamaged – Air France bought me a new box.

_tom_
    Free Member

Flew my bike to Canada and back with an Avenir soft case, bike padded with foam pipe lagging, discs taken off etc. The bag was lined with bike box card down the side. No problems either way. Not sure if I’d do it again without a wheeled case though unless I had direct airport-accomodation transfers, as carrying the case up 3 flights of hostel stairs, and to my main accomodation from the greyhound stop was awful.

rickmeister

Have a google for bikecrate. Good rigid box and light weight too…

HTH

blurltrider
    Free Member

+1 for the Evoc bag. Just so much easier to use.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘For those who travel – bike travel box recommendations? Hard or soft case?’ is closed to new replies.