Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)
  • For those of you with automatic watches …
  • Cougar

Cougar yes you are missing the point but it’s ok, each to their own and all that

On reflection, I don’t think I’m ‘missing’ the point so much as disagreeing with it.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

That’s cool too I guess

Cougar

I think today we’ve grown as a forum.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And I don’t care. I’ll get the watch I want for my reasons. I don’t need odd cyclists telling me what to and not to buy.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“I’ll get the watch I want for my reasons. I don’t need odd cyclists telling me what to and not to buy.”

You do realise they’ll do it anyway just to make themselves feel better about their choices ? 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Unfortunate isn’t it?

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

yup 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

My Seiko slows down by 1 min every two days … 😥

I am getting a Casio digital soon …

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’ve got a prohunter explorer on order, let the lynching begin 🙂

Cougar

Who are you calling a cyclist? I’ll have you know some of my best friends are cycles.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

😆

CountZero

Bought one of these:

keeps pretty good time, not checked it accurately but it seems to be around five seconds gain a month.
    Not bad for fifty quid.
    A bit better than my twenty-odd year old TAG Series 1000 Professional black finish, £250 new.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My watch is works automatically it cost twelve pounds ninety-nine from Decathlon and it is accurate to just 2 or 3 seconds or less per month. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My watch is works automatically it cost twelve pounds ninety-nine from Decathlon and it is accurate to just 2 or 3 seconds or less per month. 😀

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

My watch is set to (or checked) to the seconed every day!!

But I am a clock engineer!! It’s a must! Also I use a £5 casio. It keep perfect time and had never adjusted it.

It’s is key that we set our clock correctly to the second

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s is key that we set our clock correctly to the second

Well it’s not really, but it is useful to have an accurate timepiece. It always amuses me that a cheapo £5 watch keeps better time than ones costing thousands and thousands of pounds. Proving that spensive watches are nowt more than jewellery and vanity objects.

No seriously, they really aren’t, no matter how many times you tell yourself it’s an ‘investment’.

And you know I’m right too, don’t you?

Woody
    Free Member

In my opinion a nice watch is the only acceptable piece of jewellery a man can wear

Absolutely correct RJ, apart from a wedding or signet ring, of course 😉

MF I’m sure your heirs would appreciate a fine watch as an heirloom. My Grandfather’s Breitling, which he left me, went missing after a house move 15 years ago and I would quite happily pay double its market value to have it back 😥

Squidlord
    Free Member

How many times would you have to shake an automatic to “wind” it? Mine stops if I don’t wear it all weekend

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Elfin, it’s one of the things the company prides it’s self on. When we refurbish, service, install or build a clock we always set it to the correct time to the second (unless the custom asks us not to)

I’m currently installing a clock and it’s my 1st project on my own! Im very proud to be able to walk away and look back and say “I built that clock”

nicko74

How many times would you have to shake an automatic to “wind” it? Mine stops if I don’t wear it all weekend

My Seamaster AT has about a 40 hour reserve, I think, so if I go away for the weekend on Friday night, it stops about 2 hours before I get home on Sunday 🙄

signet ring

That there Elizabeth Duke has a great line of men’s signet rings in 9 carat gold with diamante inlays. Great stuff for the man in your life.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No seriously, they really aren’t, no matter how many times you tell yourself it’s an ‘investment’.

And you know I’m right too, don’t you?
    Mine won’t be bought as an investment – as I have said.

MF I’m sure your heirs would appreciate a fine watch as an heirloom.

Thankfully someone has read what I have said 🙂

For ME, I want to do it simply because there has never really been anything worthy of being passed down through our family in the past. At the moment we are just discussing what to do with mum’s possessions and all I would like is a 30+ year old Kenwood Chef (if we can find it). 😐

Ohh, and a framed picture of some elephants in the Mara that I took when on honeymoon 5 years ago and they both really liked the picture so I had an enlargement made and framed up for them.

Cougar

Make sure you’re wearing it when you’re “relaxing in a gentleman’s way” and you’ll be fine.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mine won’t be bought as an investment – as I have said.

MF I’m sure your heirs would appreciate a fine watch as an heirloom.

Then:

Thankfully someone has read what I have said

So, an ‘investment’ then. You’re buying some material thing with ‘value’ as an ‘heirloom’. Don’t try to dress it up for something it’s not. 😉

In my opinion a nice watch is the only acceptable piece of jewellery a man can wear

What absolute bunkum.

Absolutely correct RJ, apart from a wedding or signet ring, of course

Only if you’re very narrow-minded and conservative, maybe. Otherwise, wear what TF you like and don’t worry about other’s petty prejudices.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Make sure you’re wearing it when you’re “relaxing in a gentleman’s way” and you’ll be fine.

I tried that – it started gaining about an hour a day

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

An hour a day? I’m surprised you bother with a watch; those tiny numbers must be virtually impossible for you to see… 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My Seamaster AT has about a 40 hour reserve, I think, so if I go away for the weekend on Friday night, it stops about 2 hours before I get home on Sunday

What do you mean “it stops”? Dont you take it with you? Whats the point in a £1000 watch if you dont wear it?

skiboy
    Free Member

my rolex gains around 8 seconds a day, just inside cosc standards, when i first purchased it 4yrs ago it was 1.5 seconds slow a day, i personally don’t care and have yet to be late for anything as i’m always 5 minutes early for everything by the end of the month :D,

spent 3k on a new ‘Z’ SD, it’s now worth 4.5K, you don’t get that with a casio

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Elfinsafety: No seriously, they really aren’t, no matter how many times you tell yourself it’s an ‘investment’. And you know I’m right too, don’t you?

Nice turdpost highlighting your ignorance. I’ve made lots of money over the years buying and selling watches. So yeah they can be an investment if you know what you’re doing, and you get to wear some great timepieces.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m not ignorant, you are. For I too have sold watches. So ner. You were quite ignorant to that fact, weren’t you? S’ok, apology accepted…

Beyond a simple functional object, they are jewellery. End of. I have nothing against that at all; I like nice watches. But the notion that a spensive watch costing thousands is somehow ‘better’ as a timepiece than a cheapo Casio or whatever is simply delusion.

You know I’m right, hence your angry, vitriolic outburst and personal attack. Proves me even more right. 🙂

X

randomjeremy
    Free Member

🙄

nicko74

What do you mean “it stops”? Dont you take it with you? Whats the point in a £1000 watch if you dont wear it?

I went cottaging*, and thought I’d leave it at home and take an old beat-up Seiko with me instead.
    Actually, since I took my watch to be repaired earlier this year and was told that it had been ‘bashed about so the repair isn’t under warranty’ (having done nothing more than play golf with it on and wear it day to day), I’m a bit more sensitive to doing anything mildly active with mine.

*-the Canadian way, involving going to a cottage, then boating, tubing, etc.

boblo
    Free Member

Errr, point of order Mr Chairman… being right is an absolute. You can’t be righter or wronger now can you silly boy 🙂

I like fancy watches. I buy them cos I like fancy watches and CGAF if they are an investment/waste of money/worse than a casio etc. On that basis we’d all buy the crappest, cheapest car and shop in Aldi. There’s more to life than lowest cost. Form over function, a bit like fancy mountain boiks no?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t get this ‘amazing engineering’ thing.

It costs 100 times as much as something that works better in every way. Doesn’t seem that great to me. If someone made a computer that cost fifty grand and only ran your programs when it felt like it, it wouldn’t sell.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like fancy watches. I buy them cos I like fancy watches and CGAF if they are an investment/waste of money/worse than a casio etc.

At last, some honesty. Thank you.

See, what you’ve done, randomjeremy, is you’ve read something with prejudice, then reacted according to your prejudice, rather than considering what I was actually saying. Boblo has instead bin more sensible and rational and understood what I was getting at.

I have a nice Seiko for ‘posh’; it din’t cost a fortune but at the time I bought it, I was willing to spend a lot more, several times more in fact, but it was the Seiko which I liked the most of all the watches I looked at. Truth be told, the only watches I liked more were a *lot* more than my budget would allow. Like, several times more than my maximum.

I am under no illusion that my ‘posh’ watch is anything more than a bit of functional jewellery. Because it isn’t.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

People buy expensive watches for the same reason they buy expensive cars or clothes – they are enjoyable to own and they make them feel good. Sounds reasonable enough although some of the ‘sperglords on here can’t compute 🙂

@Elfinsafety – You said watches weren’t an investment, yet I have made lots of money buying and selling watches, thus proving you wrong. Deal with it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

@Elfinsafety – You said watches weren’t an investment

And where, pray tell, exactly, did I say that? Hmm?

Well? I’m waiting…

randomjeremy
    Free Member

You posted it 2 hours ago here. Have you been taking your dried frog pills?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Read what I writed again.

Carefully.

Then tell me exactly where I said ‘watches aren’t an investment’.

See, what you’ve done, is you’ve made the common mistake of reading what you want to, rather than what’s actually written, and taking the comments out of context.

Then you’ve resorted to rudeness. 😐

bellerophon
    Free Member

elfin – No seriously, they really aren’t, no matter how many times you tell yourself it’s an ‘investment’.

I’m not saying they’re an investment or not; but isn’t that statement above you saying they’re not an investment..?

simon_g

all I would like is a 30+ year old Kenwood Chef

😆 I’ve already agreed with my mum that I’ll get her Kenwood Chef when she goes. It was a wedding present in the mid-70s and some of my most treasured memories are of making stuff with it. They certainly don’t make them like that any more, the thing will probably outlast me too.

As for watches, sure – you can look at them as jewellery. No-one really needs a watch anyway – there are more then enough clocks around to get by without one. Cubic Zirconia isn’t *that* different to diamond, after all. A bespoke suit isn’t *that* different to an off-the-peg £100 job from M&S. An Inbred frame isn’t *that* different from an IF.

I like the engineering of them, as I said. I love that I have something on my wrist that has all these fascinating cogs, springs, screws and jewelled pivots (and yes, I do open them up). That with nothing more than the energy of moving my arms and hands about in my everyday activities, it stores enough energy to tick away over half a million times a day yet manages to stay accurate to within a second in that time. I prefer the gentle second-hand sweep of a nice mechanical movement over the jarring tick-tick of a quartz. I have a kind of nostalgia for a time before I was born when owning (or being given) a wristwatch was a big deal and it would be worn for decades, a time before Swatch and Casio turned them into disposable plastic fashion accessories.

That’s not to say you have to spend a fortune – neither of my autos cost more than £100 – and I’m sure a lot of people buy expensive swiss watches based on brand, marketing and to impress other idiots at the golf club. Doesn’t mean you have to be one of those idiots to like wearing something nicer than a G-Shock though.

It costs 100 times as much as something that works better in every way. Doesn’t seem that great to me. If someone made a computer that cost fifty grand and only ran your programs when it felt like it, it wouldn’t sell.

Maybe not, but it doesn’t stop things like the Difference Engine no.2 being as fascinating to me as the millions of transistors in a modern CPU. It cost way more to build than 100 times what a pocket calculator does. But I’d still love to have one myself!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘For those of you with automatic watches …’ is closed to new replies.