Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • For the motorcyclists – which disc lock?
  • sam_underhill

Hopefully I’ll be picking up my new bike next week and whilst it’s not a condition of insurance, it makes sense to use as much security as possible.

So, tell me about disc locks. I’ve not used any before, What’s best?

rp16v
    Free Member

i use a ongaurd boxer prety straight forward pinlock system comes with lots of spare keys,carrying belt pouch and a usual lanyard coil i use 2 at night plus a chain and one in town with a cable lock to a post as it has a imobiliser anyway.

alanf
    Free Member

ABUS granite.
    Sold secure gold.
    A touch heavy but ‘Heavy is good, heavy is reliable’.

What bike are you getting?

rp16v
    Free Member

isnt the granite a shakle/D lock?

ALSO YEAH WHAT BIKE???? 😀

sam_underhill

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I like the look of the Xena XX locks with built in alarm. I wouldn’t claim that would be a replacement for a “proper” alarm, but might be just one more more step of deterrent?

oh… the bike….. it’s a barely used (ie only 300 miles old) Trumph Street Triple R in white. 🙂 To say I’m excited is an under statement!

rp16v
    Free Member

oooooo a whisle machine they sound awsome and shift some to 8)
    a built in alarm is a good feature also look into a ground anchor and decent chain for home use.
    i dont no if the bike come with alarm/imob as stock but definatley worth investing.
    enjoy your steed and ride safe

bensales
    Free Member

Not heard good things about Xena alarm ones. Every mate who’s used them has whinged about false alarms.

I use a simply Oxford Omega one. It’s a deterrant, no more.

Don’t forget the little springy luminous cord to wrap around your bars as well. My GSXR has gone through two front fenders before I learned my lesson.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Forget it. You could steal that bike pulling it backwards with the front brake on. It’s quite a light beast to move around! ;O)

We need pics asap

br
    Free Member

I’ve only once used a disc lock, and managed to set off with it in-situ…, luckily didn’t do any damage.

I’d go for the biggest U-Lock you can get under the seat and just put it through the inner disc ‘holes’. Its bigger and obvious.

And you can’t beat the triple ‘feel’ – did 20k on one last year.

a built in alarm is a good feature

Nah, they are a pain and unless you are always using your bike you’ll also need a trickle-feed. And one of the mags did a feature where they ‘stole’ a bike (with blaring alarm) from outside Scotland Yard (the St James tube parking) – no one battered an eyelid…

rp16v
    Free Member

i no magnum do a “mini” d lock that would fit under the rear pad of my sv so could be a option comes with a coil extention aswell

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve only once used a disc lock, and managed to set off with it in-situ…, luckily didn’t do any damage.

You need to use a lanyard

oh… the bike….. it’s a barely used (ie only 300 miles old) Trumph Street Triple R in white. To say I’m excited is an under statement!

I had one for 8 or 9 weeks last summer, missed it when I gave it back to my brother
    Great bikes, enjoy

anagallis_arvensis

I had a xena alarm lock, it was poorly built shite and the key snapped off in the lock, luckily not when it was on the bike. Avoid.

sam_underhill

I agree about bike alarms – pain in the bum to lock after the battery and only makes £30 difference to my premium. Seems like no one really does much about them and if someone is putting into a van then it’s gone before you know it anyway. Same is true of a disc lock really.

Interesting thought about not bothering with the lock from a perspective of pushing it around easily.

I guess security is about doing some things to stop the casual scum bag. And my thoughts are that a disc lock may go some way to determining that. I might look into the Ground anchor option for home, but I’ve got a brick driveway so it’s gong to look really messy filling a hole with concrete.

not my photo btw, but here she is…

jota180
    Free Member

You nearly always see bikes locked by their front wheel when locking the back wheel makes it harder for van thieves.
    With just the front wheel locked, it’s very easy to simply put a strap though it and lift and wheel it half way into the van, then a quick lift at the back and 2 blokes have easily had it away.
    Locking the back wheel with the internal steering lock on the front makes it awkward at best.

Like all locks etc. to a degree it doesn’t need to be the strongest around as long as your bike isn’t the easiest to nick, they’ll probably try elsewhere

sam_underhill

Nice idea locking the back wheel, I guess the issue there is that a disc lock might not fit.

br
    Free Member

Interesting thought about not bothering with the lock from a perspective of pushing it around easily.

I put a ground anchor in my garage which I religiously locked my m/c to. Then I got into MTBing and realised that it would cost more to insure my MTB against theft then to fully comp my m/c – so the m/c never got locked again… Also once I’d worked out that it cost £15 a year more to have my m/c insured for parking on a road, over-night…

sam_underhill

I think the consensus here is insure it properly (which I am), use it, enjoy it (I intend to).

anagallis_arvensis

If your new to biking i would also recommend extra training, I joined Thames Valley Advanced Motorcyclists and the training i have had has made me much more confident.

neninja
    Free Member

Disc locks are fine for quick stops but serious thieves will simply break the disc with a hammer or lift the bike into a van.

I had a mini D-lock type and also a Xena alarmed one. The Xena one was a proper pain in the backside and I always used the D-lock one by preference.

Northwind

Definately put it on the rear. Put it on front and forget = probably crash, bend expensive things. Put it on rear = probably don’t crash, maybe bend cheap things. Also it’s much easier to move a bike with a locked front wheel than a rear (weight bias)

So that in mind- choose one that’ll fit on the rear.

Remember it’s purely a minor deterrant, all it does is stop someone from effortlessly pushing it away. Real locks for real security. But still worth doing IMO.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘For the motorcyclists – which disc lock?’ is closed to new replies.