Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • For the lovers of retro niche – how to refinish your Cunningham
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mike at Black Mountain Cycles in Point Reyes Station in Marin is probably the only guy on earth to have worked on as many Cunninghams as Charlie.

Cunningham Frame Refinish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Cunningham

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cool, I guess he couldn’t anodise it tho?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I doubt Charlie had the facilities or the inclination to anodise them when new. There’s raw and there’s Cunningham raw.

unovolo
    Free Member

I’m guessing that’s been dipped to remove the corrosion , whats the deal with the welds on the top/down tube are they seam welded gussets?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

From the link

Restoring a Cunningham (or any bar aluminum frame) that has seen the worst of the elements involves a two step process.

#1 apply Fluid Film, a corrosion/protectant with #8447 or #7447 Scotch Brite pads. In the case of this frame, this step was repeated 3 times. Buff with a clean terry cloth rag after each application.

#2 apply a liquid wax, Nu-Finish in this case, with a #7445 Scotch Brite Pad. This further protects the frame. Buff with a clean terry cloth rag after the wax is on for a bit.

whats the deal with the welds on the top/down tube are they seam welded gussets?

Yes I think they are seam welded gussets. The frames are incredibly light though.

Cunninghams are a bit like Vermeers, the whereabouts of every frame Charlie built is known. The chances of a tiny bike shop in Point Reyes having three in the stands at one time is pretty rare.

JoeG
    Free Member

Glad to see this as I have an old chromed steel mtb that I’m fixing up, and I bought a bottle of Nu Finish wax for it. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘For the lovers of retro niche – how to refinish your Cunningham’ is closed to new replies.