Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • For the love of cars
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Probably been done but,
    Great programme! Only problem is every time I watch the it my midlife crisis starts to kick in and I start trawling eBay for classic cars!
    Does it have this effect on anyone else?
    Also please feel free to post pics of any classic cars you own!
    Thanks

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Yip. 44 and want a 205 gti or vw mk2 valve.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’m 44 and fancy a stag or a jag!

grtdkad

Like the programme, can’t tolerate the host who appears to be ignorant of the heritage of most of the cars and takes the pi$$ out of the owners / owners-clubs etc

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Really? I thought that was part of the programme Ant educating Phil Glenister (and us) about the history of the cars.

somafunk

My MK2 Golf GTI, originally 8v but has an ABT (german audi/vw tuning company) built n’ tuned 16v engine fitted with close ratio gearbox & quaff lsd, acceleration is much more fun than outright speed. pulls cleanly to 8800rpm before hitting the rev limiter and 193bhp.

Currently stripped back to a bare shell and has been acid dipped, spent £2.5K over the past year repairing bodywork rust and practically every panel has been replaced for OE VW items but it’s nearly finished so i’ll get to work at some point this year to put it all back together. The entire suspension/running gear/brakes (absolutely everything) was replaced for new uprated eibach/brembo/bilstein/ items 3 years ago and i guess it will take another £2k to finish to the standard i want.

I bought it for £1500 a few years ago so by the time it’s finished i expect to have sunk £8k into it – gulp!….I’d only get a fraction of that back if i sold it but i never have any intention to sell it – it’s my perfect car 😀

Old cars can be cheap to run if you admit defeat and choose to kill them off eventually but i could never kill my golf, it’s 31years old so deserves to be kept alive at whatever cost.

colournoise

BBC to poach these two presenters?

Car enthusiast + geeky car guy (+ Suzi Perry / Jodie Kidd) = new Top Gear?

chewkw
    Free Member

colournoise – Member

BBC to poach these two presenters?

They should stay with this programme because they are good at their format.

Car enthusiast + geeky car guy (+ Suzi Perry / Jodie Kidd) = new Top Gear?

They all have the charisma of a damp squid. Not at all suitable. Those two women are you kidding me? (strong merican accent) Those two blokes are simply not suitable and not at all funny. They will be out of their depth in the original TG format. New TG should be called something else like “Modern Gear” or “New Gear” etc and if they stick to TG they will get the sticks.

colournoise

You’re right. Don’t think any presenters would work with the current TG format but then don’t think the beeb will stick with the same format and tone. Suspect the ‘comedy’ will be toned down a bit.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Top gear is dead, I wish the BBC would just face upto it. It was dead before JC resurrected it and whatever show JC and the other two amigo’s go onto will be the new TG in spirit if not name. After all these years people are still making the mistake that TG was a car show. It wasn’t, it was just three idiots dicking about in cars.

Sumafunk, love your Golf. These things rarely make financial sense but sometimes they just have to be done.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Whoever signs up for new top gear is going to need some absolute cast iron guarantees it’s going to work or they will be the face of a failed project. Nobody wants their career damaged so it might be unknows who get the gig. Less to loose although if Alan partridge and Chris Evans did sign up I’d gladly watch their careers go down the toilet!

withersea
    Free Member

Great car and commitment somafunk.

globalti
    Free Member

Watching Top Gear I was sometimes struck by the similarity between the three idiots and Laurel & Hardy. As above, it was just three clowns messing around in cars.

hora
    Free Member

Top Gear is definitely dead. It became about the personality of the presenter(s) first then the name so it’ll always be ‘theirs’.

HIGN- the presenter was reading from an auto que with two strong(er) characters eitherside.

I love for for the love of cars. It just works. The Aston Martin episode was a gem. 😀

somafunk- is that numberplate legal?

jools182
    Free Member

Suzi Perry is awful as a presenter. No conviction whatsoever. Shopping channel is about her level.

Jodie Kidd sounds like she’s talking to 4 year olds. Her reports are OK, but in the studio…

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Somafunk your golf is a thing of beauty, fantastic!

andyl
    Free Member

Surely that golf is an appreciating classic now? I would not think you were wasting your money restoring one and keeping it in original condition. At very least you won’t lose as much as a modern car would in depreciation alone before any value as a classic.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Alan partridge and Chris Evans did sign up I’d gladly watch their careers go down the toilet!

Alan Partridge is a presenter on North Norfolk Digital. His career went down the toilet after he shot dead Forbes McAllister on live TV. Tony Hayers stated that he will never work for the BBC again after he punched him on his Christmas Special. 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Surely that golf is an appreciating classic now? I would not think you were wasting your money restoring one and keeping it in original condition. At very least you won’t lose as much as a modern car would in depreciation alone before any value as a classic.

It never quite works like that ime as the owner of a Mk2 GTi with TSR motor and a Corrado VR6 Storm. I think you lavish care, attention and money on cars like these for your own satisfaction and because they’re brilliant to drive, but as Somafunk says in his original post, you’ll only ever recoup a relatively small portion of the money you spend if you do decide to sell. They’re sort of worth only what someone’s prepared to pay, if that makes sense.

Sounds like an amazing Golf btw. Love the oak green ones. How do you find the Quaife btw? I broke a driveshaft on mine last week and ended up driving a hire car for a couple of days, made me love the Golf even more. Mine’s relatively modestly tweaked, but still handles nicely and is amusingly quick in the real world. Just brilliant cars.

Edit: super clean, standard Mk2s would be appreciating, yes, but modified ones like Somafunk’s play by slightly different rules.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I have a completely dismantled 1969 Karmann Ghia Coupe ready for rebuilding this winter. Long term project.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A proper classic is on my retirement list, no garage/time at present.

Glennister is a bit crap IMO, I think the other guy is pretty good and certainly knows his stuff.

The other similar on with the journo from a mag (used to be in a band to IIRC) and the taller guy is pretty good thought the latter is a knob.

Always interesting to watch tho.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I think you mean Car S.O.S. I quite enjoy that. Been watching them all on YouTube recently. Some of the end results they do are brilliant. Their acting is rubbish though but in a ‘so bad it’s ace’ kind of way. Fuzz Townshend was the drummer in pop will eat itself. Tim shaw tries his hardest to come across as a bit of a playa but there are moments when that seems to drop and you notice he might actually be quite a nice guy.

I quite like for the love of cars although I think I preferred the format of the last series which seemed to show much more of the car being done. I think Phil glenister is pretty good on it as an actor attempting to present and the other fella I like too because he’s not into cutting corners.
    As much as I enjoyed top gear I think it’s defo had it’s day. Probably a good few series ago to be fair.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Anyone else with a classic car who’s got pics?

Cheers

Pigface
    Free Member

Soma Bravo that is a beauty, I know someone who has put about 15k into a Mk1 and it is no where near finished 😯

Was following an immaculate 205 Rallye last week, what a lovely car then the idiot behind the wheel did a really stupid overtake that resulted in lots of tyre smoke from oncoming car, took the shine off it a bit.

northernerindevon

Somafunk – Your Golf is a gem! Top effort. Just really, really like that 😀

monkeychild
    Free Member

Soma, MOAR PICS!!!!!! I love refurbed MKI and MKII Golfs. Car S.O.S is brilliant in my books. I loved the camper van on last nights. For the love of cars is OK, I’ve not been as keen with this series though.

somafunk

I’ll get some pics of the golf in it’s current bare shell state next time i’m up the workshop, it’s quite sorry looking at the moment but it will go back together easy enough so here’s a pic of my previous scirocco, running twin webbers, fast road engine build and the usual bilsteins etc – made a lovely induction noise but not entirely practical as a daily driver due to the fuel consumption which used to dip below 20mpg, saying that the golf is not much better (if at all) but it stays in tune for longer.

Unfortunately a farm trailer dropped a tailgate and threw a tonne of gravel over the road, i hit it and scraped the side of the car on a dyke then two other cars behind me hit the same gravel a few minutes later so i had to watch them plough into the back of it – total write off. I was rather upset 🙁

BWD – A quaife diff makes a real difference to the way the golf handles, there’s very little understeer and the extra grip makes itself noticeable on exits. A standard gti will even benefit from one but they’re not cheap – relatively simple to fit and very reliable (touch-wood)

cynic-al
    Free Member

My last one.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7dRFLq]07112009043[/url] by alan cole, on Flickr

failedengineer

Now that’s a classic car …..

munrobiker
    Free Member

http://bringatrailer.com/

Take yer pick. This is flippin’ cool, car or not-

toppers3933
    Free Member

Fitting a quaife lsd to our 1979 mini is the current topic of conversation between me and papa T. It gets very good reviews for both road and track cars. It’s either £600 for a quaife or £160 for a decent x-pin diff.

The first couple of the new series of car sos have been pretty good. Last weeks e-type was lovely. Although I don’t think the finished it. There was a total lack of shots of the completed interior.

Drapoon
    Free Member

My mk1 golf gti

Has a 2.0 8v block with big valve head running fast road cam, audi 80 throttle body, 16v warm up reg, lightened & balanced flywheel, 4 branch manifold & Group N exhaust. Currently having spark issues but should have it running for the 1st time some time this week – brrrrrrrm!

[URL=http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/Drapoon/media/14.08.2014%20994_zpsrtdskzm5.jpg.html

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Nice!

michaelbowden

Oh it’s been a long time since I played with Bosch K-Jet! Oh a great mk1

Drapoon
    Free Member

The day I bought it for £500:

& here it is the day after I spent a bit more than that having it resprayed 😯

wwaswas

There’s something really pleasing about a freshly painted body shell.

My brother’s Alfa.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Not usually my thing but that golfs lovely.

camo16
    Free Member

Haven’t got one yet * sighs * but it looks like I’m getting a garage pretty soon, so this bad boy may be on the shopping list:

MK1 Fiat Uno Turbo. 8)

Simon

That mk1 Golf is lovely. I miss mine.

somafunk

^ Well done on the MK1 build – looks very nice indeed, and a proper grunty engine fitted as well so i imagine it’s hoot to drive. Have you got a lower strut brace fitted?, my scirocco had a rose jointed brace that bolted between the lower wishbone bolts – it helped to stiffen up the front end.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘For the love of cars’ is closed to new replies.