Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • For the guitarists – Best tuner?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It’s time for my aging (about 25 years old!) Korg to get replaced with something better. I’m assuming the Boss TU-3 is the best (reliable, acurate, tough) out there at the moment. Or is it?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these. Works very well and is reliable and very flexible for alternative tuning.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Used to have a load of rack kit years ago, but not anymore, so pedal sized for me now

_tom_
    Free Member

Pleased with my Korg Pitchblack. Affordable and gets the job done. I had many years service of my old Korg DT10 as well.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Peterson Strobostomp is the best but a Krog Pitchblack is as accurate as any I’ve owned and a damn sight cheaper.

grum
    Free Member

Most people I know use Korg Pitchblack theses days. It’s fast and accurate and the display is easier to see than the Boss IMO. Works well on bass too and it’s cheaper.

There’s a fancy TC one that apparently can tell you if each string is in tune at the same time just by strumming across them all. Not used it though.

Edit: http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune.asp

mikey74
    Free Member

Oops, should have read replies.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmm, liking the look of the TC Polytune

midlifecrashes

Just for my kids guitar lessons, but the gStrings Android app works well for the price(free), tested against their teacher’s posh tuners and close match on standard tuning.

willej

I’ve had a TC Polytune for a couple of years. Only thing wrong with it is it’s quite noisy when tuning. This isn’t a problem if you’re on a low gain setting but if I’m on my balls-out channel and then go to tune I just get amplified display driver chip! The ability to quickly check the tuning of all six strings, between songs, makes up for the noise.

Our bassist uses the bigger Korg Pitchblack and loves it.

Our other guitarist uses a Boss TU2, which is pretty much the industry standard pedal tuner. Now superceeded by the TU3 I believe.

grum
    Free Member

Sounds like voodoo to me but apparently they work well.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m going to second G-strings. I’ve several case sized tuners, but this is more than adequate.

plumber
    Free Member

n-track tuner on my iphone is excellent if you have an iphone

otherwise pitchblack seems to be the tuner of choice on most of the pedal board forums

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Interesting…..

Just been for a wander and chat round the various stores in Denmark Street. The guy in Rose Morris said that they’ve just had to send an entire shipment of TCs back due to them not working and having cracked screens, etc. The Korg Pitch Black, he said, was more reliable. Having said that, he also said they use the TC for instore tuning. Had a quick look at the Korg – what an ugly looking thing it is compared to the TC!

I am now none the wiser!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Right, took the plunge and got the TC Polytune. It’s all intact and works absolutely fine.

The Polytune doodah bit is very good for a very quick check on tuning with just a single strum of all the strings. Tuning each string at a time, the TC is very quick and stable picking up the note. My old Korg used to waver around for a few seconds before deciding what the note might be. The display of the TC is very clear and auto dims to – a nice touch

So far, it’s been very good and I’d recommend it

skaifan
    Free Member

I use tc polytune on my phone for tuning my bass and my singer has the pedal form for his guitar. Best tuner we have both ever used. My behringer pedal was ok. I always ran it as the last pedal before the amp. Tuners always track better with compression before them. If you don’t have a compressor, use a distortion pedal as this compresses the signal too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘For the guitarists – Best tuner?’ is closed to new replies.