• This topic has 53 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • For sale forum seems very quiet..
  • poltheball
    Free Member

Now admittedly I have a vested interest in trying to sell my hardtail, but just scrolling through the for sale section there are a lot of unanswered posts.

Why is it so quiet?

It being the beginning of summer I expected it to be hoaching with riders coming out of hibernation/ski season looking for something to thrash around in the classic British summer sun?

[\impatience]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    poltheball
    Free Member

😆

But seriously, two minutes it took to get me a reply on this thread. Two minutes. Been trying to sell my bike for two weeks without a bite. Argh!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s too expensive

bruneep

this^

ebay it and it will find its true worth or continue to punt it on here week after week

bigblackshed

It’s also the size of the Brandenburg Gate.

slackalice
    Free Member

An interesting observation OP.

If I may proffer my theory as to why, it is because finally, people are realising that the acquisition of material shiny stuff neither makes one a better or happier person.

That in fact, becoming a better and happier person comes from within and is generally directly proportional to age and experience. Self awareness, empathy and other such attributes being the main drivers, rather than the ‘more stuff’ sh1t.

Additionally, all the various ‘standards’ now effectively mean that someone else’s unwanted ( because of the realisation they are neither happier or better,despite having purchased it new) stuff might not work with the stuff they already have.

And/or, it’s not worth as much as they thought it might have been but still ask top money.

Many more possible theories are springing to mind as I type, but I feel my first intuitive guess is pretty much on the money. 😀

tomhoward

Try posting in the main forum to draw attention to the one in the classifieds. That usually wor…oh.

poltheball
    Free Member

It’s well worth the money to the right buyer; you’d spend that sort of money on a dropper post and set of brakes nowadays without wincing!

Just need to find a similarly proportioned bloke who doesn’t mind riding an “old” standard wheel size 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Sell at the right price you get plenty of interest… like when I sold my wheels too cheap (or “cheep” as i rather embarrassingly spelt it) yesterday. 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Exactly. I was going to mention those wheels, but thought against it as they left my brother very upset.

poltheball
    Free Member

Didn’t intend for this thread to become a “how much is my bike worth..” one..

But out of interest, what does the STW massive value an unfashionable 26″ hardtail at nowadays? More specifically, my unfashionable Ragley?

DezB
    Free Member

they left my brother very upset

I’ve ordered some new ones just so I can sell them to him.

tomhoward

Didn’t intend for this thread to become a “how much is my bike worth..” one..

That’s what they all say…

But out of interest, what does the STW massive value an unfashionable 26″ hardtail at nowadays? More specifically, my unfashionable Ragley?

Don’t worry, you should have a couple of mails in your inbox with offers shortly.

hairyscary

I think demographic of the forum users has changed over the years. Most now have a lot more disposable income and tend to buy new.

chakaping
    Free Member

Get it on pinkbike.

Stw is only good for selling fat bikes out cx bikes these days.

😉

poltheball
    Free Member

It’s sat on pinkbike a good £200-300 cheaper than near-identical bikes, so it can only be a matter of time really!

DanW
    Free Member

Why is it so quiet?

Glad you made this thread as it is bad form to comment on FS ads 🙂

On the one hand…. cables are a mess… on the other hand… is the stick included in the price? 🙂

It’s a buyer’s market more than ever so I think price is usually the issue. My freebies thread cleared out very quickly but I haven’t managed to sell anything either for yonks so I am just as guilty as everyone else!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It’s over priced. Sorry. It really aint worth all that much. Might not be worth selling really.

The right buyer probably doesn’t exist.

poltheball
    Free Member

Cables are just there to do a job, however I’m willing to negotiate on the stick 😆

It’s funny the different values folks put on things- I’ve had several of the lads at uni tell me they’d bite my hand off at £450 if they could afford it.

DanW
    Free Member

Might not be worth selling really.

Most of my stuff for sale seems to fall in this category. It would be nice if ads could be posted without a price and see exactly what it is worth in somebody else’s eyes… almost like that auction site or something but I can’t handle the messing around that goes on there so the pile of unused stuff at home just grows 🙂

scotroutes

And if they had £450 they’d spend it on something else.

I’ve sold quite a lot of stuff the past couple of months. I was just realistic about how much it would sell for.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

– I’ve had several of the lads at uni tell me they’d bite my hand off at £450 if they could afford it

I’m the same looking at 2nd hand Aston Martins, if only I had the cash. If you ain’t got the cash your opinion is null and void as your not a buyer.
    A bike full of old standards and not too flash parts. I just swapped a six pack of beer for a similar age fork…

Drac

You might want to make it look shinier, take better pics but most of all reduce the price it was never worth £600 and still not worth £450.

poltheball
    Free Member

Those photos were taken post-polish; it’s not a particularly flashy or shiny bike, so obviously won’t attract that type of buyer. Fair enough with the old standards, if that sort of thing bothers you then it’s not worth much. However if you’re keen on cheap spares and don’t mind having an unfashionable bike it’s a prime opportunity 😆

What could be done better with regards photos? Bike was cleaned, polished, placed against a neutral background in good lighting conditions and photos were taken of the important bits. Genuine question, as I thought the pictures were pretty good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if that sort of thing bothers you then it’s not worth much. However if you’re keen on cheap spares and don’t mind having an unfashionable bike it’s a prime opportunity

Glad your still hopeful, keep chasing that 1 buyer… and good luck in the brave new world of estate agents

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I only care about 26 bikes and £450-ish seems pretty decent. I lost out on @chiefgroove’s 2012 Soul frame with Hope headset my e-Bay bid was £180 and he sold the Fox forks for over £220 I believe. Ragley’s have had various quality issues so that may not be helping.

Drac

The angles don’t show it off well the first one being a classic, you need some elbow grease if that’s polished. It’s not cheap enough the frame new was only £400 that plummeted the day it came out of the shop as Ragley’s don’t hold a price.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

To the OP,one of those cases when price of the complete bike seems high,but prices of individual components you quote seem reasonable.
    I’ve almost sold all of my unfashionable 26″ bike here and I’m at £750,with a few minor bits still to sell when I know most here would have balked at £600 if I’d sold it complete.
    Split it and be patient!

lunge

Ok, I’m a prospective buyer as I’m 6’4″ and may be after a hardtail. I also have the money if needed. But, let me explain why I won’t buy it:
    You’re in Glasgow and I’m in Birmingham. So that’s out immediately.
    If I’m buying a bike I want a bike, no grips or saddle don’t make a complete bike.
    Old QR fork, people who ride XL bikes tend to be heavy so that puts me off.
    Grouchy bearings mean it’ll need a service, I don’t want to do that as I’m buying a bike.
    I really wanted bigger wheels due to my and therefore the bikes size
    It’s generally a bit beaten up, not unreasonably so for a 2nd hand bike but still.

And so, there’s no way I’d buy it unless it was dirt cheap. And it’s not. So I’m out. Hope that doesn’t seem too harsh.

hora
    Free Member

OP I took one glance and thought that’s overpriced. Not by £75 either. It looks like a bike built with old parts parked when you bought new bits

tall_martin

I’m 6″4 and looked at your add. I fancy a new(to Me) cheap bike.

I’ve already got a bike that is very similar, and slightly larger. That style of bike has been around for ages, lots of people are looking for something new.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I think demographic of the forum users has changed over the years. Most now have a lot more disposable income and tend to buy new.

Add to this there are some ridiculous low prices on new stuff and used becomes even less attractive.

wwaswas

I’ve stopped even trying to sell most used stuff now, you can’t get enough for it to make it worth the effort – I just hang onto it for spares/if a mate needs something.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Bike will be sold without the grips and saddle. – Didn’t have these spare for the scrapper bike.

Front wheel & headset bearings are a little rumbley so could do with being replaced soon. – Essentially scrap then.

– Fox Float RL 140mm travel forks, 1.5″ steerer – QR and 1.5″ steerer, essentially scrap then.

– Shimano XT rear mech, short cage – Shimano SLX 9spd shifter – 9spd?!

£150 for wheels + £120 for frame + £100 for the rest – complete discount = £300

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s not cheap enough the frame new was only £400 that plummeted the day it came out of the shop as Ragley’s don’t hold a price.

The dubious benefit of being owned by CRC, unfortunately.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

For sale forum seems very quiet..

I did my best, but the Orange5 went on ebay and nobody’s interested in the Stumpjumper…

poltheball
    Free Member

Some fair comments here; it’s unfortunate really, as I know I’d potentially make more from splitting the bike, but don’t have the time and need the money quickly!

As for hora’s troll, the bike was actually built over several years on a paper boys wage for function over form, so everything on the bike was the best part available for the least money when buying. That excludes the strap on mustache that normally adorns the bars of course 😆

Had a couple of offers overnight, one from a chap from uni and another through an advert, so looks like £450 might be the selling price.

Just as well, I’m bankrupt and the new bike arrives tomorrow 8)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

nobody’s interested in the Stumpjumper…

£600? 😆 😆 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, it’s not a final demand or anything…

It’ll probably end up coming to Spain with me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘For sale forum seems very quiet..’ is closed to new replies.