Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • For sale etiquette question
  • Pigface
    Free Member

If you see a bike in the for sale that is ridiculously overpriced should you

A say nothing and move on

B go steaming in and harrangue the seller and offer what you think it is worth which the seller may be offended by?

tomhoward

Which one? is it the £1200 one?

I’d mail them with an offer, explaining why.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

If you’re seriously interested in buying it, give an offer and if there’s no room for a sensible compromise, move on, no harm done. People naturally like to push their luck on price IMO so what’s the worst that can happen?

Pigface
    Free Member

Tom glad its not just me.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I wouldn’t post up on their thread that you think its overpriced, just send them an email with an offer if you are interested.

plyphon
    Free Member

I have, on occasion, broken the taboo and posted publicly in the thread that the price they are asking is bat-shit crazy.

This has only been on a small number of occasions, where the asking price was truly ridiculous.

I don’t feel like it would of hurt the sellers chances as no one in their right mind would be spending £1200 on *that*!

wilko1999
    Free Member

You don’t have to go steaming in and meringue ( ❓ ) the guy, there is a third option. How about politely emailing and saying something like “I’m genuinely interested in buying your bike but I only have £ ??? to spend and I think that’s a fair offer for what it is”

Pretty much what the others have said actually

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you are not interested in buying it then option A is the correct one.

If you are interested then mail directly with a price and see what happens.

tonyd

It’s sometimes hard to get the asking price right IMO. If I’m selling something and have a silly asking price I’d be quite happy to be told rather than ignored.

Edit: If you’re interested in it of course. Jumping all over threads just to make a point is a bit silly IMO.

ThePinkster

Mind you, the seller did ask for advice on the price yesterday and got no responses from anyone so you can’t completely blame him for over pricing it.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you are interested in buying then a bit of wrestling over the price is fair enough.

If you are just sticking your beak in, what’s it have to do with you? Do you need to get involved?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Theres been a few recently.

If you are just sticking your beak in, what’s it have to do with you? Do you need to get involved?

Because maybe, just maybe, they are looking out for people so they don’t get ripped off?

llama

So what do you think it is worth then?

wwaswas

It’s become a banning offence to post directly on a FS thread querying the price.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Looking for about £1200 but open to sensible offers.

So make a sensible offer?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Because maybe, just maybe, they are looking out for people so they don’t get ripped off?

This isn’t some kind of hippy commune. It’s pretty easy to work out the market price for something with the invention of the internet. If folk don’t have the gumption to do a bit of research (buyers and sellers) then it’s their problem.

plyphon
    Free Member

This isn’t some kind of hippy commune. It’s pretty easy to work out the market price for something with the invention of the internet. If folk don’t have the gumption to do a bit of research (buyers and sellers) then it’s their problem.

Really?

I mean

Really?

You’re happy to sit by watching people get ripped off?

Nothing like a bit of community spirit I guess.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘For sale etiquette question’ is closed to new replies.