Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • For everyone who has had a long haul flight next to the mahossive sweaty bloke
  • GrahamS

If we really want to promote healthiness, then surely link the price to BMI.

F = ma

BMI doesn’t come into it – the “healthiness” aspect is just a convenient diversion.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Maybe if Berm Bandit had to pay a full ticket price for a 2 year old child, then have the airline squeeze (quite literally) someone into the next seat & spill across half of your childs seat & be grumpy about the fact that your child bumped into them (in the seat you’ve paid for), then perhaps that would alter your opinion?

…….remember me? I’m the bloke who started this thread on the basis of generally being in favour of fattism in this context? 😯

marcus7
    Free Member

“And you could have a special area with mini seats for kids. Sound proof it and pump sedatives in. The airlines would fit even more people in this way. Or you could just put them in the hold.”….nice…gassing kids…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chuckles.

nealglover
    Free Member

Tall people however will get penalised for something that they can’t do anything about.

But they are not being “penalised” are they ?

They are just paying for what they use, the same as everyone else will be.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Seems to me that the assumption by airlines that everyone is the same size and shape is a bit daft. I’d quite like a bit more logic to be applied to the process with adjustable width seating and for that matter adjustable leg room too. I did a flight to Cape Town a while back and had this enormous Afrikaans guy sit next to me. Not in any way fat, but his hands were like twice the size of mine and I’d guess he wasn’t much short of 7 foot tall. Poor bugger spent the wolhe flight in real discomfort, because there simply wasn’t sufficient distance between seats for him to fit his legs in.

onehundredthidiot

My clothing and shoes cost the same as a lanky biffas. I get no short arse, small foot rebate, You take up the volume/carrying capacity, then you pay for it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Will this be in actual kg or airline kg – I’ve never seen any direct correlation between the two.

Tall people however will get penalised

I’m hoping I’ll get free extra leg room seats, they should really be my basic human right.

PiknMix
    Free Member

So we pay for our height so we get the extra legroom and the shorties get less legroom?
    Once again I’m well in favour of this but the logistics of it just won’t work will it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I sat next to a very large American lady on my last flight over to the US. Huge, she was.

So, I put the privacy screen up, had another glass of chablis, then lay down for a snooze for a couple of hours. 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

My clothing and shoes cost the same as a lanky biffas. I get no short arse, small foot rebate, You take up the volume/carrying capacity, then you pay for it.

I’m sorry – did you say something? All I can hear is a distant high-pitched whining somewhere near the floor.

GrahamS

So, I put the privacy screen up, had another glass of chablis, then lay down..

Chablis? Were you flying Economy? 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

You can already take more clothes on the plane than me.

Once again I’m well in favour of this but the logistics of it just won’t work will it?

The one place you don’t want fatties is an emergency exit row.

Theres plenty of weight to get rid of on planes – perfume trolleys, the bulbs in the no smoking signs, take out a few rows of seats and give everyone more space…

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

I’m 196 cm tall and weigh 100 kilos.
    I used to work at the local airport loading luggage on planes and there was no one under 80 kilograms doing the job.
    Seems all the lightweights can’t move 30-kilo suitcases.
    Weird the airlines would penalize someone like me when I buy a ticket, but they need big guys to load the damn plane.
    A better suggestion would be discounted tickets for the skinny buggers. Everyone pays the same, but children and anorexics get a discount.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂 @ Graham.

It was the best choice to go with the prawns.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

This is a brilliant idea, it should be adopted by all

Oh and Tall doesn’t always mean heavy, I’m 1.9m and 71kg 😛

TooTall
    Free Member

Oh and Tall doesn’t always mean heavy, I’m 1.9m and 71kg

Doesn’t class as tall where I’m from either. Short skinny bloke.

CountZero

Tall people will weigh more than shorter people so how is being penalised for something out of your control fair?

How is this conclusion arrived at? I’m 6′, weigh around 185lb/83kg, and there are plenty of people shorter than me who clearly weigh more than I do, including some I work with, and my next-door neighbours; so I should be charged more for my height? It’s a weight issue, lack of leg room is purely airline greed trying to cram the maximum number of passengers into the minimum space available, irrespective of the comfort of the paying passengers, and possible health risks, like blood clots in legs, and thrombosis.

nealglover
    Free Member

Weird the airlines would penalize someone like me when I buy a ticket, but they need big guys to load the damn plane.

Seems like you have not understood something.

The blokes loading the plane aren’t getting on it and don’t have to buy a ticket.

Why would what they weigh have anything to do with anything ?

mechmonkey
    Free Member

If I have to pay in accordance with my size then goddamnit I want leg room!

^^ Well said. In fact goddamnit I just want leg room!! and those head rest side bolster things….yep the ones that dig into the back of my shoulder blades, I want them gone. I want freedom to shoot any small people in the emergency exit seats sat there swinging their legs cos their feet don’t even touch the bloody ground. I want a toilet that I can either stand or sit in, the current choice of sat with my knees round my ears or stood in some bent double contorted shape trying to hit the target without getting my chin on the way past is not ok. Tray tables that will fold out to be flat and not on a major angle because however I sit my legs or knees stop it folding out properly would be appreciated too.

If that’s all good then yeh no worries about paying for my weight due to height.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Count, it’s been established that I didn’t quite get the jist of the payment structure proposed, I tried to cover this by demanding more legroom.

I want more legroom damnit, I’m tall.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Looks like I was 16 years ahead of my time when I suggested this to a check-in desk operative when they tried to charge me for taking my bike on a flight to Austria back in 1997 while allowing a morbidly obese passenger on in front of me at no extra charge. Me plus bike and small ruck sack undoubtedly weighed less than her. Justice at last!

Aidy
    Free Member

Whilst we’re on the subject, how come children get cheaper seats?
    I mean, that’s just ageist. Everyone should pay the same. Discrimination!

MSP

My life’s already difficult enough, you have no idea the costs and pain in buying size 49 shoes, and then they wear out quicker, same for clothes that actually allow for thighs and height, t-shirts all seem to be designed for effeminate fixie riders without shoulders or muscles. Even when I can find something in the shops for a size 50 chest, its seems to have been built for a short squat Danny Devito’esqe character.

If this becomes common practice it will be paid for from the lunch money of blooded nosed little people.

Pickers

Could you claim a mid air discount for having a proper dump in flight?

nealglover
    Free Member

Could you claim a mid air discount for having a proper dump in flight?

You can if you go outside to have it yes.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

On a recent flight, the wife got into her seat to have the mother of all jabbas sit next to her. This sends my wife into a steaming frenzy, especially as she has to lift the arm rest to get her in and the woman needs the extra belt too. She explains to my wife, who now has paid for one seat and has only half of that, she is ‘large boned’. The stewardesses disappear. The wife wanted to go mad. Although the chances of survival in a crash is very low, she also feels if in an emergency she had the escape, she wouldnt be able to get past fatty, as fatty was wedged in. So, yes, something good out of this. I am no flyweight, but can comfortably sit in a seat with plenty of space, as long as my legs are cut off.

thx1138
    Free Member

the mother of all jabbas

Mrs Hutt?

stucol
    Free Member

Being a clydesdale i think this is a brilliant idea.

Let’s see, off to Morzine with a 100kg limit.

Oh damn, i will be forced to buy a Uber Bling, top end, ultra light, carbon/titanuim/unobtanium 160mm travel all mountain machine.

Silver linings !

athgray
    Free Member

How do you prebook a ticket? You must have to guess what your weight will be at the time of travel. That would make post Christmas flights expensive.

brakes
    Free Member

would this mean that airlines would market their flights to larger people? would the airlines move from London to Wales and the North East where they could charge more for tickets?

Northwind

It’s flipping my “offended” switch. But sod it- I weigh 60kg, why do I need to pay more for me + 30kg bag than 90kg man pays?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Whilst it seems fair, I am not a fan.

When my bike goes to Geneva, if my bike bag looks a bit weighty and my other bag equally full, I always have the option of wearing a few items of clothing as well as my usual wear.

What’s wrong with wearing body armour and full face lid on a plane?

Sandwich

How long will we all be at the airport for? It’s usually 90 minutes to 2 hours for flying Ryan and that’s with cabin baggage only. can you imagine the queues at Heathrow on a Friday before Whitsun?
    I can see regular business travelers losing their expense account lunches to keep their weight down. (An upside Post-It notes will get cheaper as business costs go down).

GrahamS

(An upside Post-It notes will get cheaper as business costs go down).

Well any measure that addresses the outrageous cost of Post-It notes has my backing 😕

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m a massively tall 6’1″, i already have to pay more to get enough* legroom.

it’s about time the fatties felt my pain.

(*so i can actually fit in the seat)

phil.w
    Free Member

Is that supposed to be 6’11” ? If not you’re clearly doing it wrong 🙂

hels
    Free Member

I can reach the overhead lockers fine thanks if I stand on the seat.

ahwiles
    Free Member

nope, not 11″

i’ve just got long legs innit blud.

FuzzyWuzzy

They definitely need to combine public weighing with comedy klaxons if you’re over the limit, just to add to the humiliation. I wonder if you’re just over if you’ll be allowed 5 minutes to go and try and empty your bladder/bowels.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘For everyone who has had a long haul flight next to the mahossive sweaty bloke’ is closed to new replies.