• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hels.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • for car drivers, hitting a deer?
  • mrmo
    Free Member

just been out in the woods for a bit and came across a roadkill deer, sitting in the middle of the road. If anyone wants some venison it is now on the verge on buckholt road cranham corner direction of the honey farm.

Just curious, would you bother moving it? just leave it there for the next person to hit/move?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've only ever hit one (just a glancing blow)but I've had loads of near misses. I think if I hit one hard enough to kill it I'd be more worried about my personal survival and the damage to the car.

cinnamon_girl

I would be interested in the antlers please.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just curious, would you bother moving it? just leave it there for the next person to hit/move?

Why on earth would you "just leave it there for the next person to hit" ? 😕

Which reminds me – I once moved a "just killed" badger from the centre of the road on a dangerous bend. I was shocked just how heavy it was – they're right big buggers when you get close up to them – wouldn't want to corner an angry one 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would be interested in the antlers please.

Hat & coat hooks ?

cinnamon_girl

Ornament – to add to my collection. I'm a bit weird 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'm sure they would also make a fine jewellery/knickers tree 8)

💡 …….you're not thinking of using them as 'headgear' in some strange pagan ritual are you ? 😯

scaredypants

I know a girl who hit a deer while she was doing 60-70 on a dual carriageway – impact nearly killed HER and definitely the deer had seen better days

Some of 'em are big buggers but, yeah, I'd try to move it

C_G – it's rhino horn you're suppoised to use, I think

mrmo
    Free Member

no antlers, and i think it was a largeish Roe deer, heavy enough to lift anyway.

hels
    Free Member

I remember hearing somewhere that if you hit a game animal to take it yourself if considered poaching, however the next person along can take it. Or something weird like that.

Talkemada
    Free Member

I'd have dragged it to the side of the road, hidden it in some undergrowth and then come back for the bugger in a car!

Definitely. take to a butchers, get them to chop it up, sort them out a few chunks, take home, bung in freezer.

Sorted! 😀

toys19
    Free Member

I remember hearing somewhere that if you hit a game animal to take it yourself if considered poaching, however the next person along can take it. Or something weird like that.

I think this is to do with killing in a humane manner, if you hit it with a car intentionally then you have killed it in an inhumane way. If you take it home then its deliberate..

Talkemada
    Free Member

Probably to stop people deliberately running down deer…

As an added bonus if you went back for it:

You could strip naked, cut it's heart out, and hold it aloft above your head, and let the blood pour down all over your naked body, whilst reciting incantations from Aleister Crowley's Hymn to Pan.

Best to do it in the bath though, because you'll make a terrible mess, and have hell to clean it up if you don't.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Nope, that is false. Roadkill like that technically belongs to the highways agency. They however don't really care about it beyone clearing it up so as not to cause an accident. You are as free to take it home as the next person. Having dealt with some birds that were killed by a car I was travelling in, I'm not sure I'd be happy to eat an animal whose guts had exploded inside it's body. As for deliberately killing a deer with a car, well it's almost certainly cheaper to buy one as your repair bill for the car would be much more than the cost of the meat.

rkk01
    Free Member

If me and the car were in a suitable condition, it would be in the boot!

However, having lived in Exeter for a long time – there were often car / deer collisions on the A38 at Haldon Hill…. many of which were fatal for the car occupant.

coffeeking
    Free Member

re the butchers comment – have to have traceable sources dont they?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Only if they're selling it, CK. Or is there some law to do with F+M, BSE etc?

I dare say a friendly local butcher wouldn't mind chopping up a deer in return for a few pieces.

mboy
    Free Member

Hit a deer once, I guess it was about a year old as it wasn't quite fully grown (but it certainly wasn't a muntjack), at a slightly less than legal speed… I know, I know, should've been driving slower etc. but it was about midnight, on a wide open dead straight bit of A road, and I was doing 80.

Anyway, fortunately hitting the deer was only a glancing blow really, it hit the front drivers side corner of my car and rolled up the side of the car, rather than up the bonnet, through the screen and beheading me (so I was pretty bloody lucky!). Managed to stop the car after nearly swerving out of control trying to avoid the deer, with ever so slightly soiled pants (incidentally, I thought it rather nice of the car that was following me about 100 yards behind at the same speed, that saw the whole lot happen, not to bother stopping to check if I was alright! Some people are just ****). After about 2 minutes my nerves settled down enough to get out the car, and go and have a look…

Anyone else was welcome to the deer quite frankly… I'd say its death was as good as instant that any creature has ever experienced! It was a bit of a state… Its entire insides had been ejected through its arse, and were spread out all over the floor for all to see! Thankfully it was already in the verge, and not on the road, so I didn't have to bother trying to clear it up.

And thank god for fully comprehensive insurance cos the bloody deer did over £2k's worth of damage to the car!

Talkemada
    Free Member

over £2k's worth of damage to the car!

Oof. That's a bit deer…

Did you see what I did there? Did you? 😀

hels
    Free Member

Musing on the poaching thing, I have a feeling the same person that told me that also said Highland Cattle can jump deer fences, and almost had me convinced.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘for car drivers, hitting a deer?’ is closed to new replies.