Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • For all those riders in the Surrey Hills – A response….
  • 10pmix
    Free Member

{Contains robust language and faux ‘northern’ accents – Mod }

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4DpceZbpTQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

druidh
    Free Member

Fabulous

boxelder

Very good – better than t’other un.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Genuinely – lol!

I’m sure someone will be offended, but – LOL.

HermanShake
    Free Member

😆

splashdown
    Free Member

Excellent 😆

rOcKeTdOg

Big LOL

ask1974
    Free Member

“We ride with spd’s nailed to our bare feet…”

Who creates this stuff? Superb…

ononeorange

Brilliant.

(Although they mentioned a Camelbak – I thought consensus was that they’re unnecessary up north….?) 😉

chiefgrooveguru

T’genius!

cardo

sooo funeh….more please!

Drac

Fake, the south doesn’t have hills.

zbonty

he he!
    These could run and run

allthepies
    Free Member

Fake, they appear to be in a large house with electricity.

(perhaps a jail, or a burglary trip darn sarf ?)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Decent bike, though…

chakaping
    Free Member

Shame there were no mentions of “The Peak” or Calderdale.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Ace.

titusrider
    Free Member

Love it 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Translation required please. I can only comprehend the Queen’s English.

llama

lol

can’t wait for the southern one which is bound to follow

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Translation required please. I can only comprehend the Queen’s English.

Which isn’t true English anyway. Pure English with no accent originates from the midlands, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, places like that…. 🙂

EDIT
    I was wrong. It’s actually further north than I thought it was
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_English

IHN

Excellent.

cinnamon_girl

I can understand your Midlands accent Pete … took a while mind!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Very reminiscent of a one I did for a bit of banter going on in our local club last year. I roadie came onto the forum and was giving it loads of shit, he could blow anyone out of the water on any ride etc etc. We have some very seasoned riders and one who’s referenced is Kiwi (aka Johnclimber on ere) who is a massive 29er Geek, fat bike extraordinaire. Essentially, to be a full member you have to do a ‘newbie ride’ to assess you’re fitness and capability is sufficient not to a) slow everyone down and b) have them waiting around for helivac’s.

This video was done showing the roady (Itch) turning up to do his newbie ride with the ride leader Artillerydave..

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7192111/when-artillery-dave-met-itchy

nonk
    Free Member

fairly standard conversation that not sure what’s funny to be honest.
    😀

mintimperial

PeterPoddy, Middle English isn’t “true English”. It’s just a period in linguistic and literary history. You’re welcome to wander around talking like Chaucer if you want but you might run into some problems down the shops…

Pure English with no accent

I think what you’re talking about is what linguists somtimes call ‘Received Pronunciation‘.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

PeterPoddy is consitenly funny.. Just WTF is he going on about – again! (I may be mixing threads a little here, but the image I always have in my head is….)

😆

rewski
    Free Member

Isn’t most of it derived from norman – france not wisdom

steve_b77
    Free Member

’tis ture, houses do cost over £10k down here, it’s why i’m moving back oop norf

MadPierre

I think a credit to Monty Python should be added to that.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Pure English with no accent originates from the midlands, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, places like that….

He might actually be onto something here. I don’t have an accent, not like those Leicester lot in the county above mine.

chiefgrooveguru

The authentic Northamptonshire accent sounds like a country bumpkin accent (Somerset type thing) crossed with an estuary accent (Cockney-ish). It’s quite amusing but also fairly endangered (hence the suggest above that Northants is accentless). There’s a load of local dialect too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

There’s a load of local dialect too

Don’t know what you mean there me duck.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Approximately one third of Anglo-Saxon vocabulary survives into modern English, including many of our most basic, everyday words: earth, house, food, sing, night and sleep. By the 7th century Latin speakers refer to this country as Anglia – the land of the Angles – a name that will later develop into England.

Christian missionaries, led by St. Augustine, move through the land, converting the Anglo-Saxons from their Pagan beliefs to a Catholic Christian faith. Throughout Europe, the language of the Church is Latin, and the missionaries inject hundreds of new Latin words into the English language. English is spoken differently in different counties, but four main dialects exist and resemble the English we know today. These dialects are Northumbrian, Mercian, West Saxon and Kentish.

For a hundred years the Vikings control most of Eastern England, before being pushed back into the North East of the country by King Alfred the Great. They remain in power in the North East until the late 900s, in an area then known as Danelaw. During this time King Alfred uses the English language to develop a sense of national identity amongst the English.

Then after that, the French cam along and diluted it a bit more, but that’s the roots of English. Alfred would have spoken West Saxon, from roughly the Winchester area, but he spread the language north and it gradually combined with the Norse languages (“CAKE” is a Norse word, BTW! 🙂 ) as he moved North from Wessex. He’s not the only English King called “The Great” for nothing. He’s called that because he basically created and unified England, and made peace with the Danes.

That aside, my point is that “the Queen’s English” is not unaccented. It’s derived from the aristocracy speaking French for 300 years, until the 100 Years War, when we decided the French were the enemy, and stopped all that nonsense! 🙂

‘Bath’ pronounced Baath is not correct. ‘A’ is pronounced ‘ah’ not ‘ahh’
    An accent is the way we say words, not the words we say (That’s a dialect)
    There’s nothing wrong with any accent. I love them all, but the “Queen’s English” is not necessarily correct…..
    🙂

Anyroad, were worrah? Ahh, mekkin me snap for tmorra an then ah gotta gi that yoth ovver there a borra o me gadda, but only if he gis ore scrattin!

MadPierre

I don’t have an accent, not like those Leicester lot in the county above mine

Aye up meduck. What you on about? We ain’t got an accent in Leicestershire!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘For all those riders in the Surrey Hills – A response….’ is closed to new replies.