Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • For all the commuters out there
  • nickhart
    Free Member

Have you lot seen this? I like the idea, a lot.
    good idea here

ir_bandito
    Free Member

How many other road users are looking at the actual road surface so would see the projection?
    Sorry, but that’s rubbish. For £125 you could get 5 sets of Solarstorm X2s. Now that would get you noticed.

theflatboy
    Free Member

As above – I can’t see how that would really do anything useful compared to alternatives for far less money. Would people even notice it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Metal clamp? I’m oooooot.

Also, as above, it’s an answer to a question that didn’t really need to be asked, IMHO. Modern commuter lights are so damned good, not to mention cheap, that this seems rather pointless. Great to see people trying to think of new things, but I don’t think that this is it.

Now, side-on visibility is something that should be worked on, I reckon.

jwr

An novel idea, but I’m not sure it has any advantages over a good set of lights. If it could be reprogrammed to project rudey swears on the road I might be interested.

Garry_Lager

It might help with pedestrians stepping out in front of you. Maybe cars turning across you, not sure.
    Free shipping with the £125 price tag, though. Nice touch that.

onandon
    Free Member

I can’t see that this doesn’t anything helpful. Most incidents I’ve been involve with are when a car comes past too close to me.
    Anything in front turning left is my responsibility to take care of and avoid.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d like it a lot more if it was £20, but at £125 I can’t really see that it would make any difference over a ‘normal’ light.

The fitting where the light fits the clamp looks like it might be a bit wobbly.

ahwiles
    Free Member

drivers that aren’t looking, aren’t looking.

one more light isn’t going to help.

(nice idea though)

ross980
    Free Member

I’m sure I saw something once that projected a grid onto the road around the bike, a bit like an exclusion zone to try and stop cars passing too closely. I thought that was quite a good idea as ime not being left enough room is the biggest problem with commuting on a bike. Never seen anything about it since though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    drivers that aren’t looking, aren’t looking.

Agreed. Once you have a good set of lights it down to the attitude of the drive behind the wheel, either they look or they don’t having an extra reflector or a bit of laser on the road ahead makes no difference.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I dont get it personally.

So you use it to warn vehicles that you are about to appear up their inside? Well I would never go along side a large vehicle.

Pointless.

Neptune
    Free Member

Nothing like a bit of drama…..last year 3000 cyclists were KILLED or injured

ahwiles
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

I dont get it personally.

So you use it to warn vehicles that you are about to appear up their inside? Well I would never go along side a large vehicle.

often, that’s where the ‘cycle lane’ is though.

i can show you a few roads on my commute which give me 2 choices: queue with the traffic, or ride in the crap ‘gutter lane’…

some of the queueing vehicles will be turning left, most of these won’t be indicating, so it can be a bit ‘dicey’

bails

often, that’s where the ‘cycle lane’ is though.

So there’s already a bike symbol on the road then?

It does seem to be a bit pointless. Drivers don’t look at the side of the road where bikes are when they’re rushing out of junctions. So why would they see something that’s at the side of the road AND on the ground.

What you need is something that projects a hologram of a neanderthal-driven white van/blacked out drug dealer X5 immediately to the right of your bike!

beefheart
    Free Member

I like the look of these rear lights.

Cheap on ebay, but not sure how effective it would be compared to a decent regular light?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I like those beefheart but only cos it looks like youre about to launch into space… to infinity and beeyooonnnnddd.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I like those beefheart but only cos it looks like youre about to launch into space… to infinity and beeyooonnnnddd.

like this?

VanMan
    Free Member

Can you angle it so it shines directly onto the cars wing mirror?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Can you angle it so it shines directly onto the cars wing mirror?

Rather than the image of a bike it might be better to have the image of a target/crosshairs, that would make more sense 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Awiles – I never try and get myself in to a position where there is a left turn and I’m coming up along side traffic, cycle lane or not. Stupidity to do so IMO as you risk being taken out. Id prefer my journey to take longer and not risk being flattened.

cookeaa

While It is a good idea, it’s got that whiff of “Product Design” student and yet another Kickstarter project…

£125 to “Pre-order” a front light?

Let’s be honest, she’s really just knicked and adapted the idea from those rear facing “Lane projection” lights anyway, I reckon the IP on this is going to be pretty weak…
    Could I not just get myself a green laser pointed with a bicycle refractor lens jobbie and achieve the exact same result for a fraction of the cost… I’d pay a tenner for that sort of idea, not a penny more TBH…

It could catch the attention of a high up positioned motorist (HGV or Bus Drivers maybe), but I doubt some of the diddy women haring about on the school run in X5s or Zaffira’ who’s eyeline is barely an inch above the top of their dash would catch it…

its a relatively harmless idea to try except My only real minor concern would be the risk of a bar mounted laser catching a wing mirror and burning a child’s face off… or just dazzling a driver, either way that’s when you discover you were using an “illegal” laser device on a bicycle…

It’ll happen to some poor bugger, Betcha!

eyerideit
    Free Member

Something like this would be a far better proposition for all round safety/visibly.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aIX3ntiTV-g[/video]

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘For all the commuters out there’ is closed to new replies.