• This topic has 99 replies, 70 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by core.
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • For all intensive purposes…
  • njee20
    Free Member

I remember this popping up on my Facebook feed a while ago, and being aghast that people could get some of them wrong. I guess it’s aimed at ‘merkans, I can’t imagine anyone saying “taken for granite”. Unless they were a complete imbecile anyway.

wwaswas

I can’t imagine anyone saying “taken for granite”.

Rock Hudson?

Cougar

*stony silence*

wwaswas

*stony silence*

Sedimentary my dear Watson.

Cougar

I remember this popping up on my Facebook feed a while ago, and being aghast that people could get some of them wrong.

I’ll admit to not knowing one of those. I thought it was “no holes barred” meaning you’ve got all your options open.

Google would suggest that “no holds barred” is correct and comes from unrestricted wrestling moves in the Hulk Hogan era. “No holes barred” by contrast is a casual sex website.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The specific/pacific one always makes me wonder why it never occurs to people making that mistake that it’s a bid odd that ‘pacific’ would have those different meanings. Especially in light of words like ‘specify’ and ‘specification’ which, presumably, they have encountered and understand…?

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

This thread is the bestest. Definitely my most favourite.

GrahamS

Yeah I may have made the ”free reign” vs “free rein” one before.

But to be fair, both sort of make sense.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought it was “no holes barred”

😯

Please tell me you used the expression in a casual chat with the local vicar.

Leku
    Free Member

My wife used ‘I can’t be asked’ quite a bit at work before I explained..

edlong
    Free Member

The difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse.

Oh the ironing

The difference between helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.

The difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.[/quote]

Harsh – I assumed that the in the first scenario the poster was holding onto the horse while Uncle Jack fetched the shotgun..

Cougar

Please tell me you used the expression in a casual chat with the local vicar.

I don’t think it’s a phrase I’ve ever used TBH, which is probably why I’d never given it much thought. When I read it on that link I had to stop and work out which one I thought it was.

stevie750
    Free Member

this whole thread is a bit of a damp squid

ji
    Free Member

Give a man a fish and he’ll want chips.

Teach a man to fish, and he’ll want beer

Show a man a fire, keep him warm for the night

Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A mate of mine from years ago used to say ‘your elephant’ instead of irrelevant & ‘inferior light’ instead of interior light. He did it on purpose though. We dropped his GF of at her house one night & her Dad was standing at the door, Kev says ‘look your Dads waiting up for you’ She didn’t look over & kept saying ‘no he isn’t’ this went back & forth a few times till Kev said, ‘what’s that then, a [rude word] skellington?’

A bloke at work said he’d seen a ‘panasonic view’

On the bike when It’s clarty I often lose ‘gription’ which is easy to understand!

At work our healthcare dept do ‘Smoking Cessation’ courses for prisoners but most of them call it ‘smoking sensation’ 😆

cbike
    Free Member

I brought a vw t5 on eBay….

funkmasterp

Many years ago, the none-too-bright woman in the off licence told me about a car crash her friend had had, where she’d pulled out of a junction and been hit by an argonaut.
    He was probably trying to fleece his insurance company.

It was a golden opportunity.

Cougar

The driver was called Jason?

cyclingmev
    Free Member

My Mam once said “there’s too many conservatives in shop bought jam…” My husbands male boss once asked him to follow him into a meeting room “for a bit of how’s your father”, by which he meant just for a chat 😆

core

Just spotted in classifieds:

“but for all accounts and purposes it’s brand new”

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘For all intensive purposes…’ is closed to new replies.