• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by qtip.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Footwear whoos for those with big plates
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

So the question is simply if you have size 12+ feet what do you do when trying to buy new shoes?

Reason for asking is simple , after a lot of looking and advise seeking on here I bought a pair of Mavic boots , sized up accordingly now feel crippled , size 12 should mean 12 not 10ish

So today the hunt was on for new shoes , I tried locally Evans ,Cycle surgery and leisure lakes ,and in all three stores there was but a hand full of size 12 spd type shoes from Northwave 5-10 Mavic and Giro , the size difference was mind boggling some I could get my foot in others not a chance. Why is there such a difference between manufacturers ?

Do I have to guess every time I buy a new pair of boots hoping that the retailer will allow return after return ,a lot of messing around if you ask me

Suggsey
    Free Member

Lake in wide lasts, shimano again in wide fitting and Sidi again in wide fitting have all been true to size (and width) for me. I had to order stuff in and try to make sure due to the cost, wasn’t going to take a chance,

sas78

It drives me nuts that theres such a variation generally but bike shoes are awful. My range…

Wear size 12 (47)loakes to work.

Wear size 13 (49) specialized tahoes to commute

Wear size 13 (49) merrells which are too small…

Etc…

Tried Mavic Alpine Xl and couldn’t even get my feet in a 13 and they don’t go bigger!… Shimano AM things were size 50 before I could get them on and they were like boats! Bizarre…

I always try before I buy now, in real shops because the variations are huge between manufacturer/shop/style etc…

Costs me lots more but I can’t trust the sizing to be consistent.

shermer75
    Free Member

I bought some Shimano shoes online from CRC. They let you send them back at no charge if the size isn’t right. I’m normally a 13, ended up with size 49(!)

Lummox

I struggle too, varying between 12 and 13 dependent on make.

Have found 510’s in 47 to be a good fit
    North wave celcius seem generous but just right with thick socks
    Teva seem to be 1 size too small
    Shimano and specialized size up by my reckoning 2 sizes smaller.

qtip

Wide size 12s here. Five Tens for MTB, Diadora (size 47) for road.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Footwear whoos for those with big plates’ is closed to new replies.