Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Football v Rugby
  • PeteG55
    Free Member

As for rugby fans going to matches in their posh range rovers – true to some extent but my team has a largely traditional working class fan base

A quick scan round Gloucester city centre on any Saturday will tell you that 😀

Scamper
    Free Member

That’s why all the players and fans try to live cheltenham, pete 😆

PeteG55
    Free Member

Where do you think I am! 😆
    I am a Gloucester boy born and bred though and can’t say I consider myself middle class. I have it on good authority that theres a good chunk of the Worcester players in Chelt too.

Scamper
    Free Member

🙂 I used to live in ‘nam.

Do you go much to Kingsholm, Pete? Minutes silence at tomorrow’s match and something special apparently on Boxing day match.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Used to be a season ticket holder, but something got in the way of that. Women and expensive holidays! Might have to renew for next season. You know what the something interesting is on boxing day? Hmmm tickets still available isn’t there?

MSP

Football is better than rugby because of Ian Holloway!

Scamper
    Free Member

I did hear the crowd are singing flower of scotland with a Piper. Two or three weeks ago only 250 tickets left so suspect a sell out now – family commitments mean i’m handing my season ticket to a mate at Sunday’s match 🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Football is better than rugby because of Ian Holloway!

This is actually true.

Ooh look; someone’s posted a tag all about me! How nice! 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

In other news, I really prefer oranges to apples. They’re signifcantly better as popularity will show. All opinions which don’t confer with mine are irrelevant. ORANGES FTW.
    elf; why are you a male chicken? Oh, I see. Not very polite is it?

Nice video, Houns.
    Makes me wonder how some of the “men” who flay wendyball would get on a game like this.

Alpha1653

@Houns: the football part of your vid actually made me cry with laughter. The rugby part made me think of this:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf; why are you a male chicken? Oh, I see. Not very polite is it?

It’s not really, is it? But it doesn’t bother me; you see, some folk need to get something off their chest, yet lack the courage to say things directly. It’s ok, I just find it amusing really.

What a funny little thread. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That video is hilarious. It shows how a wonderful game like soccer has been dragged down into the gutter by cheats, drunks and wife beaters.

MSP

Yeah cheating never happens in rugby, “bloodgate” was just a one off incident!

Lets face it cheating is so common in rugby, they renamed it gamesmanship to try and make it sound better. There is so much cheating going on in the average scrum, ruck and maul that the referee doesn’t have a clue who should be awarded the inevitable penalty, they may as well just flip a coin every 5 mins to see who gets the next penalty.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Glad you agree MSP.

Ah, but then you go on to contradict yourself…that ol’ corker. He he.

Also, it’s refreshing to see how footballers always accept the ref’s decision, never try and make more out of their injuries than is actually the case and never use fruity language.

I’d suggest you go take a look at how professional rugby is refereed and come back when you’ve got something other than bollocks to spout. Your comments are an insult to some fantastic referees. The level of cheating in rugby is so insignificant compared to that in football. I suspect you know this too. But feel free to continue clutching at straws.

MSP

It seems that a genuine difference between football and rugby is that in football the fans, players, managers and commentators will admit to the cheating and wish something was done about it, only the authorities seem to bury their heads in the sand. Unfortunately in rugby the fans, players, managers, commentators and authorities are all living in a dream-world about the level of cheating going on.

I have played both games, and enjoy watching both games, claiming that rugby is in any way played in way that is intolerant of cheating is just ignorant of reality.

Rugby league however has provided a true example of a club enforcing a proper moral stance, when they sacked a very successful manager for verbally abusing a minor member of staff, although I think this says more about St Helens as an individual organisation than anything about the sport they represent.

anagallis_arvensis

Unfortunately in rugby the fans, players, managers, commentators and authorities are all living in a dream-world about the level of cheating going on.

dont know what you mean?!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FgchHlaSQE&feature=related[/video]

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Footballers tend to be in peak physical condition, and are built for speed and agility, therefore don’t have a load of fayt to protect them from the cold. Racehorses V Carthorses.

Not sure who wrote that statement earlier but they need to read up on the definitions of fitness.
    Rugby training is harder than football training simply because the whole body has to be much stronger than a footballers. Its a fact that can be denied. Also rugby training is more position specific than football training.
    Top flight rugby players have better all round fitness than footballers, not all of them (I’ll give you that, but in general). Just look at a team line up every once in a while the rugby guys can actually fill a T-shirt, yet still run almost continuously for 80 minutes and get hit very hard all day long. Footballers can fill a small child’s T-shirt, run about mostly jogging for 90 minutes and fall over when the wind blows. Granted the footballer probably gets laid more though.
    Anyway I like both games, but prefer rugby because the fans are nicer people than the many many d***heads that watch football.

Junkyard
    Free Member

to claim one lot is fitter is silly. Is a swimmer fitter than a cyclist or a skier? All are well suited to the sport they do and all are athletes. Ditto fottball /rugby players
    That said go back 30 years and rugby was just a sport for fat lads to have fun before getting drunk those days are long gone and both lots are fine athletes.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Football v Rugby’ is closed to new replies.