Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Football is for Dimwits?
  • shmuk
    Free Member

Can’t remember where I read this, but apparently the popularity of certain sports is being used as a barometer of intelligence.

An indication of the average intelligence levels within society can be observed via a measure of the points system of various mainstream sports:

1) A more intelligent society will show a tendency toward sports with a more challenging points system. Examples of this would be:

Darts … count down to exactly 0 from 501 in potentially pretty much any permutation of singles, doubles & treble combinations

Snooker … sum of sequences of numbers between 1 and 7, plus calculating remaining points on the table & the impact of fouls/snookers

Tennis … 15, 13, 45, Deuce, Games, Sets, Lets etc

Rugby … varying points awarded for a try, conversion, penalty goal etc

2) The more stupid society is will be reflected in a tendency toward sports using unbelievably simple points systems that even a chimpanzee could be taught to understand. Examples of this would be:

Football … 1 goal. 2 goals. er, 3 goals?. um…

If this is true/serious, all the attention that Footballism recieves reveals that society, after millions of years evolving, is now clearly regressing at an alarming rate…

Admiralable
    Free Member

+1 can’t stand cheeserolling.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t remember where I read this

It wasn’t The Big Book of Bollocks was it?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

If this is true/serious, all the attention that Footballism recieves reveals that society, after millions of years evolving, is now clearly regressing at an alarming rate…

Or, like rock songs, cheese and jeans, the best ones, don’t have to be complicated to be great

joao3v16
    Free Member

Then there’s athletics – even simpler shirley?

Running in circles faster than other people running round the same circle.

Throwing something further than somebody else threw the same thing.

Jumping over higher stuff than something someone else can jump over.

trailmonkey

dd 😆

titusrider
    Free Member

I must say that football itself is not too bad. the attitudes, lack of intelligence and hatred amongst the supporters puts me off to the point where i hate footy.

andytherocketeer

Football … 1 goal. 2 goals. er, 3 goals?. um…

Haha! and must be real dim given that in most games they can’t/don’t count past about 2 or 3 😉 , and anything more than the fingers on 1 hand is rare.

thebunk

This might explain why ‘society’ has felt the need to complicate football to the point that only maybe Stephen Hawkins and Prof Brian Cox can have an intelligent conversation regarding the contemporary interpretation of the offside rule…

Also, darts isn’t a sport.

😉

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I came to (real for want of a better word) football late, so maybe this has affected me.

But when Im having a really good game I feel as if my brain is working as hard as my body.

You’ve really got to be in the zone to pick out the right pass make the right decision etc

lentilshepherd
    Free Member

No Shmuk, failing-to-accept-that-different-people-like-different-things is for dimwits.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’ve invented a sport so complex in its rules of engagement that only an elite few can handle comprehending such an awesome game let alone actually playing!

so far deadlydarcy is winning, but only by 43.7 points and Barnsleymitch is loosing with 95.1points and a knitted time penalty. its a bit like numberwang with a dash of rugby and tiddlywinks thrown in.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Mornington Crescent?

Cougar

I think it’s an interesting theory, almost entirely disproved right at the get-go with the premise that the sport with the most intelligent audience is darts.

Don’t get me wrong, I love darts, but its target audience isn’t exactly city bankers and research scientists.

“What ho, Tarquin old bean, shall we retire to the the local public house this evening in order to avail ourselves of several pints of Awld Nobrotter whilst observing the ‘arrows’ on the television? I’m told they have glasses with handles now.”

“Sorry Quentin old chap, I’m working late at CERN tonight. These particles won’t collide themselves you know!”

iDave
    Free Member

Tennis … 15, 13, 45, Deuce, Games, Sets, Lets etc

tennis isn’t a complicated scoring system. they could call the points 1,2,3, instead they use 15,30,45 – same outcome though

as for the OP, it assumes that the attraction in a sport is purely down to the scoring system rather than the spectacle and entertainment level.

philconsequence
    Free Member

iDave makes an excellent point, he’s now 62,000 points ahead of DD, but trailing in second place due to ignoring the “all good points must be accompanied by running alsation” rule introduced in 1943

joao3v16
    Free Member

they could call the points 1,2,3, instead they use 15,30,45

Just out of interest, anyone know the reason why?
    Or was the inventor of tennising just deliberately being an obtuse smart-arse?

molgrips
    Free Member

Everyone knows Rugby is the best game.

It’s good because it’s complicated and strategic without losing any thrill and excitement 🙂

Just out of interest, anyone know the reason why?

The scores were supposed to represent times on a clock face. So the closer you got to a full hour the higher your score. It was originally 15, 30, 45 and 50 I heard but 45 was too close to 50. No idea if that’s true but I think the clock face scoring thing is.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Where does that put mountain biking then?

GW
    Free Member

😕

joao3v16
    Free Member

Everyone knows Rugby is the best game.

It’s good because it’s complicated and strategic without losing any thrill and excitement

… and the players don’t keep falling down for no obvious reason every time another player runs past vaguely close

joao3v16
    Free Member

Where does that put mountain biking then?

I’m sure why wife thinks I’m a bit simple: I spend hours riding to nowhere in particular for no actual purpose, then just ride home again.

It’s for exactly the same reasons I think it is worthwhile.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BINGO!

No?

Cougar

Thinking about it,

Surely the most ‘imtelligent’ sport is cricket? It’s the only sport I know that can last for several days, have a points score in three figures, and still end up as a draw. Genius!

djglover
    Free Member

How would you score riding round and round a forest on a signposted gravel track 75 cm wide?

Sounds like a sport for amoeba

RustySpanner

15, 30, 40 etc, shirley?

Everyone’s playing centrifugal bumble-puppy these days anyway.

Cougar

Everyone’s playing centrifugal bumble-puppy these days anyway.

I tried that once, but couldn’t quite get the spin right to get a conversion without hitting a tree branch. Where am I going wrong?

molgrips
    Free Member

Cricket is indeed a pretty intelligent sport I reckon. Very technical. Which is what I like 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Where am I going wrong?

Stand further away from trees. You should really just stick to watching football.

RustySpanner

Cougar, the game is all about the purchase of unnecessary expensive equiptment, so as an MTB’er you have
    a natural advantage anyway.

I don’t think you’ve spent enough yet.

Cougar

Ah, so a scope and a couple of counterbalances would help?

I think I need new shoes too. A sport isn’t a sport unless it requires expensive footware.

D0NK

Football is for Dimwits?

Brave man shmuk even if you were quoting someone else, footy is pretty popular here, second only to driving I beleive (with mountain biking maybe 5th or 6th, cycling on a road somewhere near the bottom) I can’t see this ending well.

Cougar

Brave man shmuk

Yeah, but if he’s right then he’s picking an argument with dimwits, should be an easy fight.

(-:

I like this theory.
    I’m currently 9th in the MTQ Spring series with 2385 points after three rounds, having visited 50 CPs in total and scoring an average of 795 points per event.
    I scored 375 points on Sunday by visiting 16 of the 27 CPs, valued between 10 and 50 points each, less a deduction of 2 points as a time penalty for arriving back 2 minutes late, for a total of 373 points.
    I believe the winner’s score was 440, so as 373 is 84.8% of 440, that means I will have scored 848 league points.

Beat that, you XC and DH simpletons. 😛

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’m currently 9th in the MTQ Spring series with 2385 points after three rounds, having visited 50 CPs in total and scoring an average of 795 points per event.
    I scored 375 points on Sunday by visiting 16 of the 27 CPs, valued between 10 and 50 points each, less a deduction of 2 points as a time penalty for arriving back 2 minutes late, for a total of 373 points.
    I believe the winner’s score was 440, so as 373 is 84.8% of 440, that means I will have scored 848 league points

I didn’t understand anything this man just said 😕

Was that the shipping forecast?

schnullelieber
    Free Member

If this is true/serious

Well there’s your problem right there.

thomthumb
    Free Member

quidditch is becoming increasingly popular i’m not sure whether this shows society is getting more stupid or more clever?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

philconsequence
    Free Member

I believe the winner’s score was 440, so as 373 is 84.8% of 440, that means I will have scored 848 league points

thats numberwang!!

MicArms

Lol at Phil

thats numberwang!!

Have just gobbed tea all over my monitor!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Football is for Dimwits?’ is closed to new replies.