Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Football hegemony
  • aracer
    Free Member

In the car this evening, hoping to listen to a bit of commentary on something Olympic, or maybe some updates on results I’ve missed. So what is on 5live? A **** football match! 2 weeks every 4 years, yet it still gets kicked off the schedules by the sport which dominates the schedules for the other 206 weeks. Is football that important?

Oh and nothing on 5LSX which I could get on my phone as an alternative.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes.

Next!.

matt_outandabout

I was questioning this last night – is it now a self propagating industry?
    So large it gets the money, uses that for influence on TV schedules, so more people watch, so more money, so more TV time, so more influence, so more people watch etc…

mt
    Free Member

It’s football what do you expect? How will those with no life manage through the summer, they may have to actually watch real committed sports stars in Rio.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yawn…..

aracer
    Free Member

Yep, that’s my usual reaction to football too

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Me as well to be honest, just yawning at the usual anti footy snobbiness.

Carry on!.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Like it or lump it, but football is a huge money maker.
    I wonder if it’ll be possible to spot the haterz. It’s been just over a month where they’ve not been able to tell us how much they hate. It must’ve been hell. All back to normal now there will be more football threads. 😆

nick1962
    Free Member

they may have to actually watch real committed sports stars in Rio.

aracer
    Free Member

I usually avoid all of that sort of thing, but TBH when the BBC schedules are like this, I can understand why it gets called wendyball or other things by non fans who are tired of how pervasive it is. It’s just far too dominant, when there’s plenty of other sport which is rather more exciting to watch (or listen to commentary on) and has far more riding on than one of 380 premier league matches.

mark88

Is BBC1, BBC4 and BBC Sport website not enough Olympics coverage?
    I’m looking forward to being able to easily find live updates from the Premier League on the BBC Sport page again instead of it being hidden behind non sports like horse dancing and jumping into a swimming pool.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If the Beeb management had any sense, they would pick some other sports and drive their popularity. Leave the money laundering boys to sky and BT.

aracer
    Free Member

Not when you’re in the car and only have access to radio – which is the whole point. Is 206 weeks out of 208 not enough football coverage?

I far prefer watching (or listening to commentary on) those sports you’re so dismissive of than <insert derogatory term for football here> and I’m sure I’m far from alone.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    mark88 » Is BBC1, BBC4 and BBC Sport website not enough Olympics coverage?
    Not when you’re in the car and only have access to radio – which is the whole point. Is 206 weeks out of 208 not enough football coverage?

I far prefer watching (or listening to commentary on) those sports you’re so dismissive of than <insert derogatory term for football here> and I’m sure I’m far from alone.They could put the olympics on at the end of june/start of july. problem solved?

tjagain

If you were using your phone could you not have run the audio commentary from the BBC website?

aracer
    Free Member

Good point – clearly the Olympics should be scheduled not to conflict with the far more important English footie season.

tj – I was in the car driving before switching to 5live hoping for coverage. Could just about cope with selecting 5LSX on iPlayer radio whilst stopped at the lights (just a couple of clicks as it’s the only channel I normally listen to on that, for cricket coverage). Haven’t ever tried listening to audio commentary on the website on my phone – though was there even any audio only, video doesn’t always work well on the move round here given the data rates I get, and it would eat my BW. Maybe you’re more experienced at doing things like this with a smartphone and can give me some tips 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They do it deliberately to make softies cry.

Maybe theres lots of evidence that its the sport most people like the best. Iknow. Imagine that!

Junkyard
    Free Member

sometimes they ruin the wall to wall footy coverage with golf and that shit take days

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hoping to listen to a bit of commentary on something Olympic, or maybe some updates on results I’ve missed

So really just any bar football, hey BBC you have commentary rights to this really popular game but someone wants you to read him the results from sport he has never watched instead.

binners

Did you want to listen to the commentary on the horse dancing? The badminton? Or one of the other sports you, and nobody else could give a shit about for the next 4 years?

Ironically the team playing tonight were the solitary beneficieries of the much vaunted legacy of the last overblown sports day

mefty
    Free Member

Radio Football Live does deserve its nickname. I too was somewhat surprised to discover commentary on a soccer match yesterday afternoon when I was gardening. Nothing on Sports Xtra following the end of the cricket – BBC have taken a TV and online approach which is a shame for us radio listeners.

A couple of years ago I was listening to an autumn international on the Radio and they interrupted commentary for the Half Time Scores.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/VF_uOgyBK1c[/video]

rickmeister

If your in the car, why not listen to a music cassette instead?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I was listening to an autumn international on the Radio and they interrupted commentary for the Half Time

That must’ve been awful for you.
    Bless.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The worse thing about this is the fact Costa was still on the pitch to score the equaliser.

Ref had a shocker as Kante should have been off as well.

Anyway, I had already started a football thread, but we can use this one OP. I’m not fussed.

😉

aracer
    Free Member

Nah, nothing so exciting was on – just some gobby overpaid bloke riding a bike round and round in circles.

Strangely enough, checking the schedules, at 17:00 is the news and either side is coverage of interesting Olympic sports – it appears it’s only the English local league which is more important.

I am enjoying all the football fans doing their best to prove the thread title though – bongohaha I can understand how you’re sad about the lack of interest in your thread in comparison with how many people want to discuss all those “less popular” sports on the Olympics thread…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Does the BBC Sports app have audio commentary on it?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I am enjoying all the football fans doing their best to prove the thread title though

Odd comment, especially in a football thread. Should we talk about how great synchronised swimming is?
    The odd thing is how non-football fans think we are interested in how much they dislike football. It’s almost like the Top Gear haterz falling over themselves to express how much they hate Top Gear, whilst detailing specific points in each programme as to why they don’t watch it.

the-muffin-man

If there was a real demand for Olympic sports it would be on telly and radio a lot more.

There isn’t though. People get a bit excited about it every four years, but they’d be as bored as hell if they had to watch a swimming regatta or hockey match every weekend.

Football commands the coverage because the demand is there.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I am totally sick of the Olympics on the BBC.

They have more staff over in Rio than is in Team GB.

It is on Radio 5, BBC 1 and BBC 4. They have the first 15 minutes of the news dedicated to it.

There was no 606 on Sunday either, replaced by the bloody Olympics.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s not a football thread, it’s a thread about disliking football! Feel free head over to to bongohaha’s popular thread if you don’t want to read about people disliking football.

There’s clearly a demand for Olympics, because it does matter, unlike one game out of 380 – I understand why football gets all the coverage the rest of the time, but actually lots of people are getting more excited about all these other sports than they are about football at the moment.

Well you’re getting an insight into how non football fans feel most of the time then.

martinhutch

Did you think you’d keep the football fans off here by using fancy words? Shame on you.

In the spirit of hegemony, we claim this thread for detailed analysis of Brighton and Hove Albion’s back four, or how Raheem Sterling’s hair is shaping up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well you’re getting an insight into how non football fans feel most of the time then.

Its popular you dont like it
    No offence but deal with it as it is not going away

I can see why you are annoyed and i do agree the olympics should have taken precedence over minor – all of them are at the start- games in the EPL
    Modern life is wall to wall football and even as a fan i find myself losing interest in the constant coverage so it must be crap for non fans

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It’s not a football thread, it’s a thread about disliking football! Feel free head over to to bongohaha’s popular thread if you don’t want to read about people disliking football.

That’ll be an end to the haterz telling us how much they hate football on the normal football threads then.
    Excellent, as they were really boring and tiresome. 😀

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I know it’s in bad taste to the OP, but would be funny if this became the defacto football thread.

Bit like that incessant snow updates one 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I know it’s in bad taste to the OP, but would be funny if this became the defacto football thread.

Not bad taste, just proving a point!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I cannot believe Costa escaped a red card for that second challenge and he should never have been on the pitch to score

First lot of fixtures and here we are discussing ref allready 😈

mefty
    Free Member

I prefer Costa to Starbucks but think Cafe Nero is better than both.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Not bad taste, just proving a point!

Perhaps you should start a thread where all the haterz can get together to see who is the biggest hater. Maybe offer prizes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Football hegemony’ is closed to new replies.