Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Football and penalties for handball (women's Euros)
  • aracer
    Free Member

Forgive me, I’m not an expert but just slightly curious having seen a clip. The penalty which turned out not to be a penalty last night – did that end up being the right decision, or did the ref get it wrong? Is kicking the ball onto your own arm not handball?

theotherjonv

Correct decision, IMHO.

From the Laws, among considerations are

– The movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand);
    – The distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball);
    – The position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement (my note – by that they mean that if the hand is deliberately in an ‘unnatural position’)

So in this case

– she clearly hasn’t deliberately handled it so that’s out of discussion
    – if the ball had come from a long way away and hit her hand there’s an argument you can’t just leave your hand there, you have to move it out of the way – which i think is initially what the ref thought but then was told / realised it had bounced off her knee onto her hand giving her no time to react
    – there’s an argument the hand was in an unnatural position, but it wasn’t there to create an obstacle per se. That bit of law is to stop players charging a shot with their arms out to create a wider barrier, and then claiming they were only 2 metres from the ball and had no time to react

Very grey and it could easily have been given anyway.

And before anyone says ‘that’s not what they say on MOTD’ – most pundits don’t understand the laws properly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Football and penalties for handball (women's Euros)’ is closed to new replies.