Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fool proof toad in the hole recipe?
  • rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got some lovely Lashfords pork sausage to start with.what’s the best ingredients & method to achieve sausage & Yorkshire perfection?

TheFlyingOx

8 heaped tbsp plain flour
    Pinch of salt
    3 eggs
    Milk
    Water

Put the flour in a big bowl, add pinch of salt, mix and then form a well in the middle. Crack in your 3 eggs to the well, whisk briefly and then start adding milk. Whisk continually until the mix is the consistency of thick honey, then switch to water. Keep whisking and adding until you get the consistency of thick cream. Leave to settle for a while, the longer the better.
    When you’re ready, fill a large roasting tin with about 2mm depth of oil (or rendered fat if you’re posh) and stick it into the oven at it’s hottest setting. Once it’s smoking, take it out of the oven, arrange your bangers artfully in the tin then pour in the batter. Put back in the oven for about 20 minutes until it looks done. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR HALF WAY THROUGH COOKING.

Serve with onion gravy, a big mug of tea, and lashings of Henderson’s Relish.

fasthaggis

+ mustard and beer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    globalti
    Free Member

It’s most important to get the tray very very hot and keep the oven hot.

z1ppy

i just use my normal yorkshire pudding recipe and add (unfrozen) sausages:

75g flour
    200ml milk
    2 eggs
    seasoning (mustard powder/thyme/whatever)

The ‘trick’ as above is heating the tin/oil till it’s very hot, before adding the batter, then cook for 1/2 an hour. You could maybe add the sausage to the tin first for 15 minutes, if you want to make sure their properly dead.

fasthaggis
    thenorthwind

arrange your bangers artfully in the tin then pour in the batter.

Do this on the hob, with the heat on high

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve not checked for this but for any trad english dish I’m unsure of i tend to goole “delia +*name of required dish*”

her yorkshire pud recipe is my standard one – works well

as other have said hot fat – HOT! but not on direct heat when you add the batter

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Preheat oven to 200 deg C

Dash oil in earthenware/pyrex dish. Add sliced onions and herbs if you like them, arrange sausage on top. Cook until sausages are 50 to 75% cooked.

Pour freshly whisked batter on top while dish piping hot. Freshly whisked IME – more air in there the better.

Return to oven until cooked. Keep the door closed until it’s done.

Batter I use is 250ml milk, 150g plain flour, 2 eggs, dash salt.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fool proof rather than absolute best:

1 cup of plain flour
    1 cup of milk
    2 eggs
    salt

Shake/wisk/whatever (i keep one of those protein shakers in the cupboard for this, they’re far less mess/faff than whisking)

Pan should be in the oven as hot as it will go, sausages in for 10 minutes first to avoid looking anemic.

Put pan on hob and turn the gas on to keep the oil as hot as it can be.

Pour batter in and get it back in the oven ASAP. The trick is getting the top and bottom cooked immediately so that it’s sealed in and puffs up rather than deflating with big holes in the batter.

Same batter for pancakes and yorkshires.

steve-g
    Free Member

I thought the trick to making decent batter that rises properly for toad in the hole or Yorkshire puddings was to use the same amount by volume of eggs, milk, flour. So break 2 eggs into one cup, however full that cup is, that’s how much flour and milk you want to use. Then of course you have to get the tray as hot as you can before adding the mix.

I would always part cook the sausages then add the batter after 20 or so mins, and as above use a little salt and mustard in the batter mix too.

If you didn’t want the batter to rise for pancakes or whatever the rule was one-one-one, one egg, one cup flour, one cup milk

Markend
    Free Member

Agree with above. Best batter in my experience is weight of eggs plus equal weights in flour and milk. So:

2 eggs = 120g
    Milk = 120ml
    Flour = 120g

Cook the sausages in a heavy based tin for about 15-20 minutes, then up the temperature a little and add the batter.

Pigface
    Free Member

Do you turn the oven down after you have heated the oil added sausages and batter? Wont it burn if you dont?

rOcKeTdOg

Will give it a go later & get back to you, cheers

Cougar

I struggled for ages with yorkies. The solution, I found, is to use equal quantities of eggs, milk and flour by volume.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you turn the oven down after you have heated the oil added sausages and batter? Wont it burn if you dont?

It’ll depend on the configuration of your oven, mine doesn’t (but it’s a continental style gas oven with the burners under the base so it’s brilliant for Yorkshires as it heats the base of the pan (i.e. the oil), not so good for sponge cake.

Yorkshires I was always told to stick them on high as the meat comes out to rest and they’re done when they’re done.

As for how many eggs, I usualy find there’s a point at which things taste like egg (two large or XL eggs and 1 small cup each of milk/flour), but to get too little you need to go right down to medium eggs and bigger cups, hence pretty much any ‘batter’ type recipe will work as shown by the variety of ratios above, until you get as far as things like tempura batter which are more like thickened beer.

mogrim

I like this recipe, although I don’t bother with the skinning-sausages-and-wrapping-them-in-ham bit.

The most important thing, though, has already been posted by globalti (and others):

It’s most important to get the tray very very hot and keep the oven hot.

Personally I like to preheat the oven for 15 minutes or so, and stick the tray with some oil in for the last 5. And it’s critical you don’t open the door while they’re cooking!

johndoh
    Free Member

Best batter in my experience is weight of eggs plus equal weights in flour and milk.

This for really good Yorkshires – just do it by the cup (ie take a cup, fill it with flour, tip into a bowl. Fill same cup with eggs, tip into the bowl (a bit at a time to get a thick consistency before adding the remainder – just to help avoid lumps) and finally do the same with the milk. Add a pinch of salt then leave to get to room temperature before cooking as above suggestions.

Serve with homemade onion gravy.

rOcKeTdOg

tastes better than it looks

deadkenny
    Free Member

Flour, 2 eggs, milk, hot oiled metal pan and oven at Sunday roast heat.

Job done. Bread flour seems to work well for me. Though I even get decent results mixing half & half with wholemeal.

Key is like with proper Yorkshire (big Yorkshire in a big tin, not those dainty little Yorkshires)… TWO eggs (or maybe more), beat the batter well and good hot oven and pan before pouring the batter. Seen attempts making do with one egg and it just doesn’t rise enough.

Don’t forget the gravy!

One recipe I read somewhere suggested for the batter mix for this or Yorkshire, add a small dash of a carbonated drink before putting the batter in the pan. I’ve substituted a dash of beer. Beer batter I guess. Not sure it makes a difference, but means I’ve cracked open a bottle 😀

bomberman
    Free Member

Here’s my take but with beef sausages. My recipe is all about the onion gravy. Warning contains Marmite.
    Serves 2. Great with steamed green vegetables. upscale ingredients ratio (flour/milk/eggs) as needed.

INGREDIENTS
    4 beef sausages (can use pork)
    100g Flour
    2 large eggs
    100ml milk (tiny splash of water for consistency if needed)
    pinch or two of baking powder
    chopped rosemary
    salt and pepper
    one red onion
    Beef dripping
    Onion gravy granules
    Marmite

METHOD

1 – Whisk the milk and eggs into the flour and add salt and pepper and chopped rosemary and a pinch of baking powder. Mix it in well so it’s nice and smooth. Put it in the fridge and have a beer.

2 – When you’re ready to eat, crack another beer. Beer suppresses appetite and you can drink it while you’re cooking and pretend you’re Rick Stein.

3 – Drop a 2cm wide slab of beef drip into a metal ovenproof tin (the one i use is about 15 x 20cm for these amounts) and whack the heat up full. It needs to be at full chat before you put anything in it.

4 – Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and chop a red onion in half then into slices. put both the onion and sausages into the pan at the same time and brown off the outsides of the sausages. add a sprig of rosemary and some freshly ground black pepper. You can add a knob of butter if you want your gravy extra tasty as you’ll use the same pan to make it in.

5 – Now take out the piping hot beef drip from the oven. Be careful at this point, especially if you’ve had a few. Drop in the sausages, stir the batter that you just got from the fridge a few times and pour it over the top. stick it straight back in the oven A.S.A.P. and put a 20 minute timer on.

6 – Make the gravy now. Dissolve one generously heaped tablespoon of gravy granules in half a cup of boiling water and stir it up. stick the frying pan with the onions left in back on the heat and add the half cup of gravy granule mixture.

7 – This is the good bit.

8 – Add one small teaspoon (level, or half a heaped blob) of MARMITE into the frying pan along with the gravy granules and onions and sausage fat and any sprigs of rosemary that are left in there. It’ll be bubbling away at this point so give it a good stir with a wooden spoon and add a touch of water from the kettle if it gets too thick. Set it aside off the heat while you wait for your pudding to rise.

9 – You can prepare your veg at this point, i like steamed cabbage and carrot slices which take 10 minutes.

10 – When your Yorkshire Pudding has been in 20 minutes, open the oven to let out the steam and if it isn’t looking crispy/burnt around the edges, turn down the heat to 180 and leave it for another 5 minutes.

11 – When it looks done stick your gravy back on the heat to warm it up (add a bit of water if it’s gone too thick), plate up your food and pour straight over.

ENJOY.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fool proof toad in the hole recipe?’ is closed to new replies.