Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Food you've just never got round to trying before….
  • MoreCashThanDash

Despite 46 years on the planet, son of a qualified chef and foodie, and probably hundreds of visits to Italian eateries, I’d never tried gnocchi before this evening.

And very nice it was too. If a little filling as a starter. The dessert menu is looking like it may be a challenge….. 😳

withersea
    Free Member

Beetroot, is just looks awful!

DrP

I tried cooking tofu the other day. That didn’t go well.

What is it? What does it do?
    It simply ‘fell apart’ in the pan. had no flavour, and was just odd.
    However, it’s much nicer if a chinese restaurant cooks it.

Oh well.Life goes on.

DrP

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Beetroot? Not tempted. Borscht is nice in Finland though – thick beetrooty broth with onions and sausage in it and probably other stuff.

woodster

I’ve not tried goat yet. I’d like to try some curry goat, but I’ve somehow not got round to it.

Think I’ll try and change that soon.

khani
    Free Member

Octopus, it’s all too Klingony for me..

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ve never (knowingly) eaten a dish made of insects.

Ive never eaten a deep fried mars bar. Or an Arctic roll.
    Most of the weird crap that northerners come out with, I’ve managed to avoid. “Pea wet”. FFS

There’s some fish I’ve not been over-enthusiastic to try, like gurnard, red snapper or carp.

brant
    Free Member

You’ve never eaten red snapper? I only do it when I get dates wrong.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Cooked turantula

chewkw
    Free Member

DrP – Member

I tried cooking tofu the other day. That didn’t go well.

What is it? What does it do?
    It simply ‘fell apart’ in the pan. had no flavour, and was just odd.
    However, it’s much nicer if a chinese restaurant cooks it.

Oh well.Life goes on.

DrP

😆

JulianA
    Free Member

Steak tartare. On the list of things to try!

tootallpaul

Priceless Led Zep reference Brant. Made me chuckle.

Goat is nice.

Myself, seafood. Can’t bring myself to try…

DezB
    Free Member

Oysters. I imagine a fish flavoured energy gel. So for obvious reasons that doesn’t appeal.

Harry_the_Spider

Wrong dates?

binners

Beetroot, is just looks awful!

Are you mad?!!!! Get some nice thick crusty bread and make a cheese and beetroot butty, with some eye wateringly strong cheddar, or tasty Lancs and some fresh sliced beetroot (none of your pickled nonsense). Seriously… its bloody gorgeous!!!! They compliment each other perfectly.

I have an aversion to seafood as well. Never tried oysters. Never will.

ratherbeintobago

I’d not had lobster until about 5 years ago.

withersea
    Free Member

Ok binners I’ll try it this week as you suggest.

Can’t believe so many seafood avoiders…missing so much nice food…although you are all ok to keep on avoiding oysters…seafood snot anyone??

kayla1
    Free Member

I’m not hugely keen on shellfish so I only recently tried mussels. They were all very meh.

We’ve done horse, goat, kangaroo, buffalo, pigeon, crocodile, mouflon, zebra, ostrich, quail, pheasant and a few other meats though 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

JulianA – Member
    Steak tartare. On the list of things to try!
    POSTED 45 MINUTES AGO #

its not that exciting an expensive raft for gerkins and capers!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d not had lobster until about 5 years ago.

I hadn’t tried till about 2 months ago (I’m 58) but I caught an over legal size one while fishing off Seaham pier. It was gorgeous but there’s no way I’d pay restaurant prices for it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Fois gras or veal… Probably won’t bother either

llama

Oysters. Want to but never had a chance.

gurnard

You’re missing out

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Tripe. And I’m not talking about the thread.

stevied
    Free Member

Mate’s stag do in Cardiff, chosen restaurant was Burger & Lobster (or the other way round). Have tried burgers and didn’t like them so it was lobster for me..
    never had it before and, TBH, never thought I would. Really quite liked it.

binners

Withersea – what would you recommend for giving the seafood a go then? any recommendations? I’ll give it a go. Seems rude not too, if you’re giving the beetroot a try

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Up until a few months ago I had made a point (and spent 46 years) avoiding both Feta Cheese and haloumi.

Absolutely love them!

nickc

DrP to avoid your Tofu falling apart, zap it in the microwave for a minute to get rid of the excess water. (also you need “Cotton” tofu for frying rather than “silk” )

It doesn’t shallow fry particularly well though.

was offered some bizarre semi rotten fish in a Norwegian trade booth thingy at a show once…I declined politely

franksinatra

Not quite food but I’ve never had a drink of cider. Not really felt the need as wherever cider is on sale, they also sell beer.

On an almost related note, I’ve never eaten a pear.

withersea
    Free Member

Binners, try brown shrimp on a pizza or crayfish tails in a sandwich with a bit of mayo, salad and a bit of black pepper, or if you fancy a cook scallops, with chilli and have it with linguine…delish

neilthewheel

Nickc is a radio 4 listener

pk13

Radio 4 food programs FTW.

No meat for me so I’ve never eaten a big mac.
    You can keep yogurt too

v8ninety

No meat for me so I’ve never eaten a big mac.

You should, I’m not convinced it really counts. Bit like beef homeopathy.

BillMC

Oddly many of my favourite foods are listed above: oysters, goat, red snapper, haloumi, veal, cider etc. However I don’t fancy eating meat-eating animals like crocodile or dog, definitely not, I like my meat to be vegetarian..

theotherjonv

Binners, when you say seafood do you mean ALL seafood, or shellfish? Surely you’ve have fish before?

Assuming shellfish – start easy with a seafood linguine. Prawns, crayfish tails, scallops, maybe a bit of chorizo, all stir fried in a pan with a bit of tomato sauce and a bit of chilli, tossed around in spaghetti or linguine.

Breaded calamari and scampi tails with sweet chilli and garlic mayo dipping sauces (that’s 2 sauces btw, not all mixed into one)

Barbecuing this weekend? Skewers of king prawns alternating with chorizo or bacon.

Save the exotic raw / fiddly stuff for later, once you’re a devotee.

bearnecessities

Any introduction to fish has got to be Stargazy pie 🙂

binners

Yeah…. I love fish, and we eat plenty of that. I’ve just always avoided shellfish, and just assumed I won’t like them. I’ll definitely give them a go though. I’m barbying at the weekend, so an ideal opportunity. I’m liking the sound of prawn, bacon and chorizo skewers!

spooky_b329

Shushi is probably top of my list to try.
    Ticked Octopus off the list last week (calamari rings don’t count)
    I’m a wary seaford eater, but all fish is good, only took a couple of goes to get over the uncooked feel of smoked salmon, and prawns and mussels are lovely. I did ignore a couple of scallops in a salad in France last year but thats because I hadn’t seem them with the Roe (sp?) on before and had visions of them sneaking some escargots in there, and a tentative taste of the Roe wasn’t that nice 🙂

Parents wouldn’t go near shellfish so still get looks of concern when I mention it 🙂

Beetroot…makes delicious cheese and pickled beetroot sarnies. Very moorish.
    Pear…how have you made it through life…its like a soft apple and much more juicy 🙂

theotherjonv

Monkfish prawn and chorizo!!

Nom nom nom……

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you’re BBQing Binners, get some nice raw prawns, wee bit of oil on them and stick half a dozen on each skewer. Just before they’re ready brush with garlic butter.

Prawn lollipops. Nom.

29erKeith
    Free Member

DrP, i’d put money on the fact you used supermarket silken tofu? Not all tofu is created equally, what you want is some extra firm from either an Asian supermarket or a health food\vegan store. I’d particularly recommend the smoked stuff. Dry it for a few hours with lots of kitchen roll under a book, cube, toss in cornflour and fry in groundnut oil until crispy. Then add to whatever dish you like, my favourite is pad Thai. Hth

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Food you've just never got round to trying before….’ is closed to new replies.