• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Food whilst out on the bike …. suggestions …..
  • letmetalktomark

After taking part in some long rides recently I have noticed that I am starting to fatigue quite quickly from half way onwards.

I have never really gotten my head around taking much food with me whilst out.

I know that food/energy is required and needs to be maintained but what do folk take?

I’m not looking for gel etc suggestions rather proper food e.g. nuts, flapjack etc

Any suggestions?

yunki
    Free Member

the good old sandwich.. cut from a healthy seedy wholegrainy loaf and stuffed full of nutritious goodies is the only sensible option..

back this up with some sort of flapjack packed with dried fruits and berries and nuts and sugar and honey and you’ll be laughing..
    take a ‘nana too..

PJ266
    Free Member

Sandwiches or sausage rolls, flapjack and fruit for me.

Never really got into the energy products, they must work though!!

I need something that makes me feel fed.

ton

pie

letmetalktomark

Hmm the trust sandwich rides again 😀

Not a ‘nana fan 🙁

Mmm flapjack …….

Drac

Jelly Babies

Tangtastics

Salted pistachios

speckledbob
    Free Member

Nuts are good whilst riding providing you don’t choke. Everybody does their own thing but i would say carb up the day before. No point in having a fry up unless at least 2 to 3 hour before riding. Fat can really bung you up making anything else you eat afterward a waste of time, it can even stop you absorbing water. Having said that, it is nice to have a pie for lunch amongst the bananas and that.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Sorin fruit loaf… that stuff keeps you going forever!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

jelly babies for a quick pick me up, peanut butter and banana on granary for something more filling

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Eat well before hand and you should be ok. Last weekend I had a good tea on friday night and did about 5.5 hours on the mtb on Saturday and didnt need any food.

I think the last time I ate on a ride was the Fred Whitton last year, I had some nice energy bars and the food stops stocked sandwiches and flapjack.

traildog
    Free Member

Figs, dates, nuts, rasins are great. I like the raw natural energy bars like Naked or Bikefood.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If i’m doing a long ride of 3 hours plus then I eat about 1 1/2 hours before the ride and then take Fig Rolls with me and munch on one about every 20 – 30 mins whilst constantly sipping water and electolyte Fluid. I also take SIS energy bars and gels as a back up.

Might not work for everyone but it certainly works for me.

7hz
    Free Member

I don’t think bread is a good idea.

Pasta the night before.

Porridge or other oaty thing for breakfast.

Take thick oatcakes with you for the ride, with whatever topping you like. I make an oatcake sandwich with and cheese. Two of them (four oatcakes) is usually enough, plus a mars bar and a bottle of lucozade.

CheesybeanZ

banana malt loaf , only just found it mmmmmm
    and a hip flask ..

allthepies
    Free Member

Dried fruit, energy bars or “Elevenses” type cereal bars.

allthepies
    Free Member

BANANA MALT LOAF !

OMG, why was I not informed……

Kuco

Waitrose ginger chocolate oat bar.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Food whilst out on the bike …. suggestions …..’ is closed to new replies.