Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Food waste collection service
  • natrix
    Free Member

Kitchen caddy, then compost bin in the garden. It produces some luverley compost 8)

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

You have waste food? Why?
    Never happens in our house. Ever. We just don’t buy or cook more then we can eat.

Never? Like Never ever?

crofts2007
    Free Member

I, like cheekyboy also work in the Anaerobic Digestion industry.
    As an interesting fact 4% of energy fed onto the grid is from this avenue, the same as wind farms, but less heavily subsidised.
    The rise in this industry is in part from the landfill tax on food, approximately £150? per tonne.
    To send it to a recycling facility it is around £50 per tonne, so more companies and councils are encouraged on board.
    Some facilities such as the Viridor plant at Bridgwater only accepts its own council collections, processing around 50,000 tonnes of brown bin food waste a year, exporting around 2 Megawatts of energy per hour from the methane produced back onto the grid. The plastics and metals are separated and then go on for further re-processing instead of landfill.

cinnamon_girl

@CG this is dependent upon location, I suspect that the spread of sites across UK is not particularly efficient in terms of the carbon footpint of the vehicles as yet, however as the system does work and operators are seeing a return they will expand.
    A colleague who works in Italy is now saying they are getting to saturation point in Europe.

Thank you again cheekyboy. 🙂

I, like cheekyboy also work in the Anaerobic Digestion industry.
    As an interesting fact 4% of energy fed onto the grid is from this avenue, the same as wind farms, but less heavily subsidised.
    The rise in this industry is in part from the landfill tax on food, approximately £150? per tonne.
    To send it to a recycling facility it is around £50 per tonne, so more companies and councils are encouraged on board.
    Some facilities such as the Viridor plant at Bridgwater only accepts its own council collections, processing around 50,000 tonnes of brown bin food waste a year, exporting around 2 Megawatts of energy per hour from the methane produced back onto the grid. The plastics and metals are separated and then go on for further re-processing instead of landfill.

Thanks crofts, it’s good to hear from those in the know. 🙂

Yes, I need to stop being a lazy cah. 😳

DezB
    Free Member

You have waste food? Why?
    Never happens in our house. Ever. We just don’t buy or cook more then we can eat.

Never? Like Never ever?

Plus, the Poddys don’t have children…

I saw a load of brown topped bins out fairly locally, but we don’t have the collection service round my way.

I had some leftover sauce from a slowcooker meal. I put it in a GLASS JAR and put the jar in the normal bin. I’m going to hell.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cooked food and animal leftovers in recycling bin.. Raw plant and stuff in the compost.
    Pretty much fill the food recycling bin every week.

My philosophy is why throw something away to rot in landfill when a little bit of effort it can be recycled. Everythingtthat doesn’t go in landfill also saves the council money (hopefully)
    Council house Tennants should be required to recycle as part of their tennancy agreement IMO

squirrelking
    Free Member

Don’t think our water board harvests, certainly judging by the Abbotsinch sewage farm.

As I said, missing a trick.

crofts2007
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member
    Don’t think our water board harvests, certainly judging by the Abbotsinch sewage farm.

As I said, missing a trick.

Usually primary sludge is collected from remote treatment sites/towns such as yours and then tankered to larger sites and processed through digestion to produce the methane. Economies of scale.
    Organic food waste gives off more methane than “human” waste btw, hence the drive for food recycling.

andyl
    Free Member

Cauliflower leaves

Nooooo cauliflower leaves are lovely in cauliflower cheese. We used to give them to the dog but now she has to share.

, if the water board were smart they would be harvesting all our methane as well.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/2-route-Poo-powered-bus-ready-service/story-26183969-detail/story.html

I have to admit we throw out very little food. Most veg trimmings go in the dogs bowl (except garlic and onion). We have a composte bin for other fruit and veg peelings and stones and coffee grinds (bean to cup makes that a lot easier). I do admit the odd time we have a chicken (maybe once a month) or whole fish (maybe twice a month) we put it in the bin. Simply because for us the brown food bin is was used so little it just used to sit there and ended up being perfect for pet food 😀

Most of our packaging is black plastic and plastic wrappers that annoyingly our council won’t take but typically we half fill a wheelie bin between 3 adults every fortnight. If we could recycle the plastics we have to throw out we could reduce that to about 1 carrier bag a fortnight with the exception of something out of the ordinary like getting an electrical item with lots of polystyrene which the council won’t take.

ransos
    Free Member

Yes, it strikes me as a faff which is why I’ve never bothered.

Waste food is put in a caddy, and is taken out for collection once per week. It’s exactly the same effort as using a normal bin.

andyl
    Free Member

The faff is having to sterilise the stinky food bin after chicken and fish has been in there for a week in warm weather.

I did see a suggestion of keeping a box in the freezer to freeze food waste and then dump the frozen block in the food bin when you put it out.

ransos
    Free Member

The faff is having to sterilise the stinky food bin after chicken and fish has been in there for a week in warm weather.

We use the compostable liners, and take the waste out to the outside bin if it starts to smell. So we don’t need to clean the bin.

bland

No, because landfills also need food waste to produce electricity, no one ever mentions landfills producing electricity do they, they only knock out around 5 Terawatt Hours mind you

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ours rip along the rim without fail 🙁

Didn’t know the sludge was removed elsewhere, interesting, certainly does make sense.

ransos
    Free Member

No, because landfills also need food waste to produce electricity, no one ever mentions landfills producing electricity do they, they only knock out around 5 Terawatt Hours mind you

Landfills perform very poorly in capturing methane when compared to anaerobic digestion.

crofts2007
    Free Member

bland – Member

Anaerobic Digestion is a more controlled and efficient use of the food waste though, as it will yield an end product that can be used as fertiliser or fuel and isn’t slowly taking over the landscape.
    Recycling of other recoverable materials (wood/metal/plastics) is also reducing landfill, it is something we will have to get our heads around more as time goes on.

<Gets off soapbox and goes back to work…….>

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

We put all the food waste in the little inside food waste bin.
    This then goes into the bigger food waste bin outside.

This is collected every couple of weeks along with the brown bin for garden waste, or is it the black bin, for anything that can’t be recycled? Not forgetting the variations in collections for the paper sack, the cardboard sack, the plastics sack and the green box for metal/glass/ textiles.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Poor old landfill eh ! not to worry though, there is a very resillient group of boffins looking at an efficient way of gasifying landfill waste to power engine/turbine driven generators, its still away off yet in terms off getting the efficiency balance of the gas production however if they succeed it could be a game changer.

Remember where you read it first 😉

T1000
    Free Member

if you don’t have a dedicated food waste service, howabout a Wormery? weve used one for the past 4 years hardly any food waste goes into the household waste

crofts2007
    Free Member

cheekyboy – Member
    Poor old landfill eh ! not to worry though, there is a very resillient group of boffins looking at an efficient way of gasifying landfill waste to power engine/turbine driven generators, its still away off yet in terms off getting the efficiency balance of the gas production however if they succeed it could be a game changer.

Remember where you read it first

Aren’t Chinook Sciences going down this route already?
    http://www.chinooksciences.com/energy-recovery/#.VUnjVvnF9T8

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Food waste collection service’ is closed to new replies.