Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Food waste collection service
  • cinnamon_girl

If your local Council provide this do you use it for your leftovers?

bruneep

Yes all goes in brown wheelie bin for composting collected fortnightly

cinnamon_girl

A wheelie bin? 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, it gets collected weekly with recycling but main bin only gets picked up fortnightly. Judging from what’s on the footpath for collection day, there’s been a poor take-up on our road. I suppose it is a bit of a hassle buying the bags and using the kitchen caddy – and well, unless folk have to do something, and it’s easier not to, then many won’t. It’s lovely once it warms up in the summer with the road filled with the aromas of rotting food inside nice hot black plastic bins. Lazy arses. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Oops, misread.

Yes, it strikes me as a faff which is why I’ve never bothered.

czthompson

Compost bin in the garden for me, you can also get a food digester for cooked food/meat and all the other organic stuff you can’t compost..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Soon most local councils will be operating Anaerobic Digesters which will rot the food down, syphon off the methane, run an engine or two off the gas use the heat to pasteurise the food sludge, export the real AC power to the grid, then the remnants can be collected and spread over a farmers field to fertilise for further crops.

Ive worked on a dozen or so of these sites now and all are running well, there even a couple that can export the methane straight into the gas grid !

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I would be up for food waste recycling, but I don’t think it’s available in my part of town yet.
    But…
    Would it be economical/ less messy if the council provided bags made of biodegradeable corn starch?

Wouldn’t milk floats be a better vehicle for transporting the waste for composting?

That’s my two cents.

zippykona

Yeah we have a bin to put out. They collect every week and I pity the poor sod who has to do it in summer.
    All the veg peelings I put in the garden waste wheelie bin.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You have waste food? Why?
    Never happens in our house. Ever. We just don’t buy or cook more then we can eat.

trout
    Free Member

PeterPoddy has it
    Buy it , cook it , eat it dont have eyes bigger than your belly

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of chicken bones or fat off of other meat ….also veg peelings egg shells etc ….they all go in

PePPeR

Ours is just dropped into our composting bin, I admit Stratford upon Avon council have tried to make recycling as sensible in a real life situation as possible!

bearnecessities

Self righteous much?!

Cauliflower leaves
    Rhubarb leaves
    Beetroot leaves
    (let’s just say lots of leaves & general vegetable spares!)
    Eggshells
    Meat bones & excess fat
    Fish innards
    Shock horror – something goes off?
    The shitty bit of Camembert

etc

wallop

Never happens in our house. Ever. We just don’t buy or cook more then we can eat.

What!? You eat orange peel and onion skins? 😆

Not everybody has room for a compost bin.

Trekster

Local trial has uncovered the extra costs in staff, machinery etc according to local paper at the weekend. No one is surprised due to other mega costly council gaffs ie £17mil pool complex closed after 5yrs due to numerous faults that “everyone” but the council knew about ❗ Now requiring upwards of £10mil to “carry out remedial works”

The council have bought and stored the vehicles required to implement the collection service, spend the money or lose it grant type scheme. At the Same time as budget cuts mean they cannot operate the normal system causing delays in collection in some areas(my Bro is an operative). They have just started building the processing facility. The roadway that was altered to accommodate vehicles turning into the facility is already showing signs of breaking up……. Yet another calamity about to hit our Labour run council being stifled of cash by SNP dictators……

cinnamon_girl

Soon most local councils will be operating Anaerobic Digesters which will rot the food down, syphon off the methane, run an engine or two off the gas use the heat to pasteurise the food sludge, export the real AC power to the grid, then the remnants can be collected and spread over a farmers field to fertilise for further crops.

Ive worked on a dozen or so of these sites now and all are running well, there even a couple that can export the methane straight into the gas grid !

cheekyboy – thanks, that’s certainly interesting. How far are the recycling trucks having to travel to an ingester? Will there be more ingesters, how easy or not is it for planning permission?

I’m finding that supermarket veg doesn’t stay fresh for long, that’s my wastage! Going back to the farm shop as their veg lasted much longer. Yes, I know, I could always shop more than once a week. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, I (and plenty of others by the sound of it) have compostable waste that goes into a bin that gets picked up by the council once a week. Perhaps when tumescent with a bout of self-righteousness, wait for it to go flaccid before posting.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

cheekyboy – thanks, that’s certainly interesting. How far are the recycling trucks having to travel to an ingester? Will there be more ingesters, how easy or not is it for planning permission?

@CG this is dependent upon location, I suspect that the spread of sites across UK is not particularly efficient in terms of the carbon footpint of the vehicles as yet, however as the system does work and operators are seeing a return they will expand.
    A colleague who works in Italy is now saying they are getting to saturation point in Europe.

bruneep

Yes a wheelie bin food waste in bio bags FOC from council all goes in with garden waste in wheelie bin, grass cuttings etc

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup. We have a kitchen caddy and a larger bin which the caddy waste goes into for collection.

I put veggie offcuts, egg shells, coffee grounds etc in mine. Impressed to see that some people above eat all of these, personally the egg shells are too crunchy for me. Perhaps someone has a recipe ?

Drac

Cauliflower leaves
    Rhubarb leaves
    Beetroot leaves
    (let’s just say lots of leaves & general vegetable spares!)
    Eggshells
    Meat bones & excess fat
    Fish innards
    Shock horror – something goes off?

Bloody fussy eaters.

bearnecessities

Says the man that only drinks virgin’s blood 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

We have the wheelie bin system plus a small caddy for the kitchen, the only thing I would like to see added would be brown food waste (pizza boxes and such) but given people have such a hard time understanding the present arrangements (paper products, glass, steel, aluminium and everything plastic but polystyrene) I can’t see that happening. Oh, and dog shit (or any animal shit), ton of methane in there for the taking.

I’m guessing our council is a bit smarter than Treksters though as we would appear to share services (we go through the same changes at the same time so it would certainly appear that way) which would no doubt drive up efficiencies.

Drac

Says the man that only drinks virgin’s blood

It’s an ancient tradition, I only gather enough that I can use in one day.

matt_outandabout

Stirling collect food waste and compost it.
    It is all done alongside the normal multi channel recycling.
    We use it lots.

Dibbs
    Free Member

We have a kitchen caddy and a larger bin which the caddy waste goes into for collection.

Same here, collected weekly with the other re-cycling (plastic, cans, card, paper, glass etc), the main wheely bin is emptied fortnightly with the garden waste wheely bin emptied on the alternate week (but we have to pay extra for the garden waste bin).

Somerset Waste Partnership are currently supplying us with free biodegradable kitchen caddy liner bags as part of a trial too.

kcal

Food waste – or coffee grounds and peelings as I’d call it – get collected – can go in bug brown wheelie bin every fortnight along with garden waste (which is what happens over the winter months when garden compost is not really functioning very well.

Spring / summer / autumn – above food waste goes in compost bins (in garden) to rot down, along with some grass cuttings, rough cardboard and shredded paper. Alternate putting the food in that along with a couple of green cones which just sook it all up and leach the nutrients into the surrounding rhubarb patch – work amazing well.

br
    Free Member

Dog shit?

Hadn’t thought of that – with two dogs we’ll soon fill it up 🙂

bruneep

Not one of the allowed items in brown bin

wallop

Animal shit goes down the loo in our house.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You’ve trained them well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can stand many things.
    I am a patient man.
    I am forgiving, and look for the best in others.

But this….

This cannot stand. There will be repercussions for this.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yup, I can’t really understand why dog muck can’t go in the bin but meat can. The pathogens all get broken down in the same process, if the water board were smart they would be harvesting all our methane as well.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Cooked food waste and non-compostable food waste (bones, fish bits etc)goes in a bio degradeable bag in a kitchen caddy. We then put this in a bigger bin which is collected weekly. All supplied by the council.

They both have smell free lids which work great.

It gets ingested or similar to generate power or something, I haven’t read the blurb recently, then the ash gets used as fertiliser.

They are pretty good at this in Wales, and uptake seems pretty high by the bins on the roadside every Friday.

We compost the veg peelings, eggshells etc.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

if the water board were smart they would be harvesting all our methane as well.

They are and have been doing for a long time.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If you are putting the waste in special plastic bags in the garden waste bin its going for composting

Food waste Ad is fraught with issues as getting separation of plastics often fails

CHB

Here in Leeds they have it pretty well sorted.
    We have a small kitchen caddy, free issued compostable liners for this caddy and a mini-wheelybin that gets collected each week.
    It’s a great system and as we cook a lot and have a dog then the food trimmings/waste bin is well used.
    Leeds also have a brown bin for garden waste (plus some allotment waste in our case!).

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Anyone saying they don’t produce food waste is only trying to be smart. Drink coffee? Peel potatos? Cut the stalks off sprouts, cabbage etc? Crack eggs? Trim the fat or skin off chicken/meat?

I compost everything at home, 2 bins. Have been for 6 years. The only rank smell from our resisual bin now is nappies!

oldbloke
    Free Member

So many councils operate different ways of doing it. Edinburgh sends its to Cumbernauld, which is about 40 miles. No need for biobags – any bag will do.

They were going to have private sector partners build facilities at the SE of the city to reprocess everything, but after spending £millions of Council and Contractor money the SNP changed their mind and the project stopped.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Food waste collection service’ is closed to new replies.