Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Food Suppliments. Are there any you swear-by?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

A lively debate, and one I started as I was / am feeling a little run-down.
    Partly due to long hours at work and increasing my ride lengths and frequency as I'm racing (?) pairs at Bonty in 10 days time.
    As a single man, I have never been one to buy veggies or fruit (except bananas) as they simply seem to rot away in the deep recesses in my fridge.
    Plus my knees especially are feeling a little tender and have started to click at full stretch, but we'll manage.
    I just need to manage the feeding and the fatigue well on the day and not get sucked into gunning it – 24hrs is a long time!

Coyote
    Free Member

Beer.

shoefiti
    Free Member

of course suppiments work – anyone that says different is dreaming. i.e you 'suppliment' your intake of protein, you are metabolising more of it so it'll do more of it's job of rebuilding broken down muscle fibres if it's needed. If you are doing anything other than sitting around on your ass on the internet it stands to reason that you won't need to 'suppliment' a healthy balanced diet, however if you are doing anything that breaks down parts of the body you need to 'suppliment' a normal balanced diet, be it with food (not as efficient and probably more expensive) or through what you are calling suppliments.

And the 'we suvived thousands of years without it' argument, errrrrm how long did folk live back in the day ay? Maybe not as long as they would of done if they had a couple of protein shakes a week an a multivit!

Jamie
    Free Member

As a single man

What has that got to do with it? C'mon man, don't be a tired steretype 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

As a single man I understand exactly where the OP is coming from 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Shoefiti

If you have sufficient in your system then any more is uneeded. It is literally going down the drain. So says the evidence

shoefiti
    Free Member

If you have sufficient in your system then any more is uneeded. It is literally going down the drain. So says the evidence

Indeed – that is why you suppliment! if you don't earn enough, you might 'suppliment' yout income – so you have more money for stuff – same with nutrition, of course you can't stick it in a bank like with dosh – but suppliments work because they are specific to needs, unlike extra food and can be taken in specific doses cheaply and readily.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Shoefiti – but the point is that if you have a reasonable diet then you have no need to supplement even if you exercise. For the vast majority on here there will be no need as their intake is already sufficient for their needs

shoefiti
    Free Member

So TG – what do you consume for extra omega 3 for example? Also 5 cups of strong coffee a day is shown to reduce the risk of Alzeimers, yet no 'reasonable' diet contains that qauntity of cafeine, ergo i'm going for a the approach that if it helps i'll have more of it.

jimster
    Free Member

Balanced diet here – bag of chips in each hand!! 😀

On a serious note however I tend to eat plenty of fresh veg and fruit – rarely eat chocolate or biscuits, don't bother with supplements – used to do the Echinacea thing but had trouble remembering which week I need to give them a miss. (thank god I'm not a woman – I'd have 6 or 7 kids by now!!)IME Echinacea would only alleviate the cold symptons. These days when I start feeling rundown/unwell I ease up on the exercise until I feel better.

slowclimb
    Free Member

A mate of mine is one of the worlds leading cancer research scientists and he told me years ago to always take a multivitamin every day, there is truth in the fact that you just p*ss a lot of it out he says but it can mop up the holes in your diet and if your body doesnt need it it bins it. Also for a few quid a month i reckon its worth the risk…

shoefiti
    Free Member

it's always better to be on the train pissing out, rather than on the platform trying to piss in – or someething like that.

gonefishin
    Free Member

A mate of mine is one of the worlds leading cancer research scientists and he told me years ago to always take a multivitamin every day…

Did your "mate" take into account the potential negative effects of taking vitamin supliments before coming to that conclusion? Sorry but assuming that what you say is true, that's still an "argument from authority" logical fallacy.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Did your "mate" take into account the potential negative effects of taking vitamin supliments before coming to that conclusion?

such as ?
    I know vit D toxic in severe overdose, but what other negative effects ?

gonefishin
    Free Member

There is some evidence that suppliments of Vitamins A & E can increase mortality although this evidence is not definative. The point I was trying to make was that doing something "just in case" without any clear evidence of efficacy isn't necessarily sensible as people tend focus on perceived benefits without assessing potential side effects.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Did your "mate" take into account the potential negative effects of taking vitamin supliments before coming to that conclusion?

Na probably not, he is just a professor in the biggest cancer research lab in europe so probably didnt bother 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

he is just a professor in the biggest cancer research lab in europe so probably didnt bother

That being the case he should know better than to present an argument from authority, assuming of course that his expertise isn't in the role that vitamin supliments play in the prevention of cancer and that you haven't paraphrased what he said too much?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Well, I did the monthly Tesco's shop this morning and found myself in the vegetable isle. Horror of horrors, I am still shaking!
    Bought some fruit though and a pack of multi vitamins.
    Plus the usual array of biking magazines.
    Resisted any alcohol – again, but spent a fortune on dog food -instead!

slowclimb
    Free Member

he is just a professor in the biggest cancer research lab in europe so probably didnt bother
    That being the case he should know better than to present an argument from authority, assuming of course that his expertise isn't in the role that vitamin supliments play in the prevention of cancer and that you haven't paraphrased what he said too much?

Tell you what – dont bother taking one, i really dont care, this forum really is full of planks these days! 😡

gonefishin
    Free Member

It's called "criticism". If you make claims like the sort that you have you should expect to be challenged on them. All I did was point out weaknesses in the argument you presented. Insults and logical fallacys are seldom helpful.

slowclimb
    Free Member

no its not its called criticism not critisism 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

Now if only you'd applied that sort of attention to details to your original argument 😉

slowclimb
    Free Member

🙂

slowclimb
    Free Member

na seriously my original point was that i do trust his opinion even if it is only that – an opinion from a very learned point of view. but for the sake of a few £££ i reckon its worth it so long as you dont take too many and turn your liver to pate..
    my problem is i take one but fancy taking cod liver oil too, joints are a tad achy after too many crashed over the years but they always come with extra vitamin a or d, cant remember which and not sure if its safe to take them at the same time.

Ti29er
    Free Member

It's or its?
    Me thinks the thread has run its (note: not it's) natrual course.

slowclimb
    Free Member

you're right, nothing worse than a sloppy grammar pedant not applying the rules to himself 🙂

jimster
    Free Member

[pedant]Supple[/u]ment [/pedant] 🙄

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Food Suppliments. Are there any you swear-by?’ is closed to new replies.