Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • food snobs?
  • ton

just watching a thing on the telly about eating for less. some people what beating to death with their shopping lists.

Mrs ‘i dont eat anything but branded stuff’. if she were my wife i would drown her in hp sauce and tetleys tea…..stupid cow.

oh, their bill is £250 per week

cheers_drive

More an idiot than food snob

5thElefant
    Free Member

Branded? Decent food isn’t branded. You’re talking about pre-processed crap.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JEngledow
    Free Member

How can the daft cow not know how much sugar there is in a cake she’s made herself!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We live on stuff with Morrisons yellow labels on.

Drac

Snob! Have you not got an Aldi?

jambalaya
    Free Member

You do understand that normal doesn’t make good tv, the wackier the better.

BTW good to see Hughes War on Waste is back, part of me is convinced a certain supermarket got it taken off the air after the first two episodes

garage-dweller

Snob! Have you not got an Aldi?

Aldi has some really nice stuff. Rather that than several of the big ones products.

Edit I am deliberately missing the point.

anagallis_arvensis

So we caught the end of it. Mrs says her friends save liads shopping at aldi. Seeing as how we just buy fruit and veg and meat ie we cook shit from scratch would we save much ovee tesco?

atlaz
    Free Member

A little. Not much.

garage-dweller

No but I reckon aldi meat can be nicer (depending on what grade you go for at tesco). Veg more hit and miss at our local ones. Our Tesco is a monster one, Aldi is much smaller so perhaps not surprising.

maccruiskeen

Mrs ‘i dont eat anything but branded stuff’. if she were my wife i would drown her in hp sauce and tetleys tea [b]tescos everyday value brown sauce [/b]and asda smart price tea…..stupid cow mechanically recovered meat.

Drac

So we caught the end of it. Mrs says her friends save liads shopping at aldi. Seeing as how we just buy fruit and veg and meat ie we cook shit from scratch would we save much ovee tesco?

Yes.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I shop at Ocado.

My lemons come in little plastic containers.

slowoldman

No but I reckon aldi meat can be nicer

I bet it’s not a patch on the meat I get from my butcher.
    No supermarket supplies better bread than my local baker or better veg than my local greengrocer.

Supermarkets are for the stuff in tins and packets.

anagallis_arvensis

Yes

Define much. We usually spend £80 a week in tesco

Kuco

My local Aldi has better fruit and veg than the Waitrose and ASDA near by. Though the choice of apples is better at Waitrose but I do try to get the apples from a local farm shop.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I bet it’s not a patch on the meat I get from my butcher.
    No supermarket supplies better bread than my local baker or better veg than my local greengrocer.
    Supermarkets are for the stuff in tins and packets.

This a million times.

DezB
    Free Member

They are thick buggers aren’t they. My kid made me watch this last week.
    Woman did a weekly shop, then every day topped up the shopping with a local trip. And didn’t realise she was doing this 12 times a week. And that it cost money.
    DUH!

johndoh
    Free Member

For balance, I often find that local butcher’s meat and greengrocer’s fruit and veg are absolutely no better (and often worse) than supermarket stuff – and I have tried many different suppliers.

The best stuff we get – it’s from the chef’s suppliers at the school where my wife works.

Drac

Both my local butchers do better beef than Aldi, the chicken is pretty much the same in Aldi.

Fruit and Veg is far better in Aldi and way cheaper.

AA there’s an easy way to find out as I’ve no idea what you buy.

maccruiskeen

Like for like you’d probably save money but they don’t really match the full range of the other supermarkets so you’d only save money if the equivalents of what you buy are for sale. Some people struggle with Lidl/Aldi (Laldidl) because you save money on some stuff then need to go to one of the big names to finish your shop. That said – like for like on veg you’d probably save a fair bit of money in an old-school greengrocers.

How good Aldi /Lidl is depends a lot on the other shoppers local to you. I find them great near me for things like Mangos and Avacados both of which we eat a lot of- really big, cheap and just perfect for eating. The reason for these things (apart from the cheapness) is the people who shop in my local branches don’t buy them so the choice is always really good. Travel a few miles up the road to waitrose or sainsburys and their avocados are like tiny little cricket balls – because all the good ones are gone long before I get there

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘food snobs?’ is closed to new replies.