Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Food in Keswick for 16 hungry blokes?
  • Mugboo

Any recommendations for grub? Its a Sat night so I imagine we’ll need to book. Not looking for owt too fanc, just good food 🙂

matt_outandabout

Chippy is good 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

The George Hotel does the most epic desperate dan style pie and chips. I eat a fair bit and a half portion destroyed me. Rest of the food seemed pretty good and pretty reasonably priced as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyr
    Free Member

There’s a curry house called The Royal Bengal we went to with about 20 odd blokes on a stag do a few years ago. Was okay (although they did put us upstairs away from everyone else. Can’t think why…).

dvatcmark
    Free Member

+1 for the George hotel & thier cow pie. You’ll need to book though with a group that size

snownrock

Lakeland Peddler just off the back of the high street, its veggie but dont let that put you off (im a confirmed carnivore)

Gotama
    Free Member

The George Hotel pie half portion…

bah, if anyone can help with a direct image link from googledrive then I have a pic of the pie!

TomB

Royal Bengal has gone, Peddlar is now Maxwell’s and no longer veggie. Casa Bella can deal with large groups and is decent (pizza/pasta), Lakeland Spice for curry, +1 for the George, or reliably dull Wetherspoons. You’ll need to bok any of those for a group of that size.

Edit after Binners’ post- there is also a dining room above the Kingfisher chippie if that’s what you’re after.

binners

For 16 of you, its a no-brainer. We went in with a similar size party. It was great

Big dining room upstairs. Absolutely top notch fish and chips, with big slabs of white buttered bread for chip buttes, and its fully licensed and has a good selection of beers to wash it down with

karlwoof
    Free Member

Cow pie at the George gets another vote from me. If you can do full pie then take a bow!

Markie
    Free Member

Gotama’s pie…

binners

We’re in Keswick this weekend. I’m definitely going to give the cow pie at the George a go!

rascal
    Free Member

Another vote for Cow Pie at the George – even a half is enormously filling.
    You’d struggle to all get in but the goulash in the Dog and Gun around the corner from the Keswickian chippy is yummy AND mahoosive – great beers there too 😉

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186327-d1848851-Reviews-The_Dog_and_Gun-Keswick_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html#photos

Mugboo

Looks like The George then!

Cheers 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

Ta. That’s ^^ a half portion as well!

Gotama
    Free Member

Ooops double post

martinhutch

Please note that a lap of Whinlatter just isn’t enough to justify that pie. It looks like at least a Borrowdale Bash, perhaps even a big Skiddaw loop’s worth.

Mugboo

Bugger, can’t fit us in till 9pm and I can’t wait till 9pm for my tea 🙁

Mugboo

Dog & Gun is getting a bashing for changing the interior but in this case I’m more interested in the beer and food. Anybody know if this has changed too?

ton

I was in Keswick last weekend.
    ate in the chippy on friday, fish was frozen shyte.
    ate in the dog and gun on Saturday, goulash was awesome. beer was awesomer…….. 8)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity, is the Loft still going? (not food, meat market ‘nitespot’)

hegdehog
    Free Member

The Woodstone will cater for 16 & isn’t too bad for pizza.
    The pizza in the Square Orange is better, although they may struggle with 16 of you.

If it was me i’d definitely hang on till 9 for the George though, all the food is good in there, inc the chicken pie..

There’s a good choice of eateries in Keswick, the Lakes Bar & Bistro is also usually ok, although not cheap. Maxells is also good, but I don’t rate the Star of Siam Thai.

ton

just had a bit of a idea.
    20 noisy blokes need cheap beers.
    and not too expensive grub.

went in for a pint last week. was nice ale and food looked good too.
    and the local boozer landlords dont like it, cos their rip off price now seen mega rip off

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-chief-justice-of-the-common-pleas#

bigG
    Free Member

Dog & Gun for Goulash (unless the food has changed along with the decor)

binners

Table booked for the George on Saturday night. Just have to spend Saturday working up a big enough appetite to tackle the cow pie!

Thanks for the recommendation! 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

Want!

Fat-boy-fat

I know you have booked but Casa Bela was good for us. No booking … 10 very hungry blokes … Cracking banter and the food wasn’t half bad.

binners

To those who recommended the pie at the George…. Dear lord!!! How bloody big?!!!! 😯

I went for the half portion and it was heaven, wrapped in pastry! Best pie I’ve ever eaten! I managed to finish it. Just. I think I might be digesting it for the next few weeks though.

How the hell anyone could even attempt the full portion….

rascal
    Free Member

It’s bloody awesome isn’t it.
    I was in there once and a bloke was sweating his way through a large portion…took him absolutely ages.
    He got a round of applause/cheers when he finished 🙂

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Been going to the George for years for the cow pie, never thought they could make it any better…..then they started selling peroni 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Food in Keswick for 16 hungry blokes?’ is closed to new replies.