Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Food hygiene type stuff & regs experts
  • bearnecessities

So I may have got a touch carried away with blackberry picking and have about 60 jars of jam – blackberry, spiced blackberry, spiced blackberry & apple.

Problem is I don’t know 60 people.

Immediate thoughts are to give it away to an old folks home or such like, but will they be forced to decline or accept politely and bin, because it’s not compliant with some regs, fearful I’d wipe out a few final generations of a family?

It’s all been done proper-like with sterilised jars & are very tasty, promise!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

License needed?

lerk
    Free Member

Have you got records of test equipment calibration to show due diligence that your sterilisation step was effective?

Having said that, you could probably donate them for sale by women’s institute types as they seem to get away with murder!

Drac

Local coffee mornings, raffles and tombolas for charity will take them off you.

Colleagues and neighbours would be grateful too.

Of course picking so many and having no use goes against the foraging etiquette.

bearnecessities

Already give most of my allotment produce to my elderly neighbours, including a jar or two of jam – I try to vary what I give them though!

Local coffee/church/whatever is the same question I guess, what with the world of risk assessments/liability as it is.

Of course picking so many and having no use goes against the foraging etiquette.

I haven’t picked a tenth of what will go to waste; I actually was consciously trying to ‘preserve’ *pun* a load of fruit that was just sitting there, not getting picked. Worse still, I went for a ride around the area last week and discovered about half a mile of totally unpicked bushes!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

My Mum used to cook for an old people’s charity. I don’t think they’d use donated homemade food because you might be a crazed old lady-killing jam murderer … but if they were planning to have say a harvest festival/Christmas fair to raise funds they’d probably be very grateful to have the jam to sell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Food hygiene type stuff & regs experts’ is closed to new replies.