Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Food banks create their own demand?
  • wwaswas

In the ‘build it and they will come’ school of thoughts this bloke’s doing quite well at spin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/demand-for-food-banks-has-nothing-to-do-with-benefits-squeeze-says-lord-freud-8684005.html

Seems to be saying “when there were no food banks no one used them” which isn’t a big surprise to anyone is it?

So, do people *need* food banks to survive week to week or are they just diverting the savings on their food bills to their sky subscription or booze and fags?

MrNutt
    Free Member

yeah now that “crisis loans” have been scrapped its clear that no one needed them, clearly food banks are only their to support people who’d prefer to spend their hidden cash reserves on luxury items.

That’s one lord that deserves bankruptcy, poverty and then lets see how he feeds his family when there’s zero employment available to him.

Drac

He seems to be saying that it’s unclear if the demand was there before hand and that some people will be using the service just because it’s there. Seems a fair point but don’t think he worded it too well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrNutt
    Free Member

he’d be a great candidate for a ministerial assassination, if he was taken out of the picture suddenly it would send a direct message to all the other greedy rat faced ministers & lords hell bent on grabbing as much austerity as they can for themselves whilst hiding behind a veil of civic service and beaurocracy.

not that I’m advocating killing him, but unseating him from his position and relieving him of all means via legal methods would be a wonderful thing to see happen.

Folk like him seem to be so removed from humility, empathy, compassion and understanding. I don’t agree that he is fit for a job in office, perhaps he could be unemployable & destitute for the foreseeable future?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

not that I’m advocating killing him, but unseating him from his position and relieving him of all means via legal methods would be a wonderful thing to see happen.

Well he is an unelected life peer so he will continue to remain a member of the British legislature for the rest of his life. Of course a prime minister could choose not to include them in their government, but the electorate have no direct say on the matter.

kimbers

his comments were in reply to the criticism that the governments restricting JSA etc had led to the huge rise in people using them

I can confirm that the jobcentre people are desperate to get you off your books in any way they can
    was told last month that if i went on a 2 week archaeology course/dig that id loose my JSA as I wasnt available for work
    so basically theyd rather i was sitting around watching daytime tv

wwaswas

if i went on a 2 week archaeology course/dig that id loose my JSA…so basically theyd rather i was sitting around watching daytime tv

I don’t want to get all tory boy (because I’m not) but surely the state is paying you to look for work with JSA – if you stop looking then you shouldn’t receive it.

Either sitting on the sofa watching tv for a fortnight or going on an archaeology dig both sound like ‘not actively looking for work’ to me?

I’ve only been unemployed twice in my life and both times was more than 25 years ago but I made getting a new job a full time job, not something I fitted in around my social life or Tiswas.

I’ll stop as I do sound like a tory, sorry.

binners

Well what a surprise. A Tory politician* who hasn’t got the first idea about what its like to actually live in poverty? Who’d have thunk it eh?

For balance, I’m sure that ‘Red Ed’ and his coterie of privately educated twerps are equally as clueless. Hence going along with the Tory cuts to benefits without a whisper, and saying they wouldn’t reverse any of them

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve only been unemployed twice in my life and both times was more than 25 years ago but I made getting a new job a full time job, not something I fitted in around my social life or Tiswas.

Yes, so you have absolutely no idea what it’s like to look for a job these days…that’s without going into what qualifications someone may have or what area they live in too!

wwaswas

I did say I sounded like a tory!

Regardless, I don’t think that a 2 week course/dig is ‘Job Seeking’ so I can’t see how that benefit could be claimed whilst doing it. Other benefits are no doubt available.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, so you have absolutely no idea what it’s like to look for a job these days…that’s without going into what qualifications someone may have or what area they live in too!

Got any concreet examples of how todays job market percludes people from job hunting 8 hours a day?

Junkyard
    Free Member

What about when you are on the welfare to work programme and they make you work for 40 hours per week?

it’s unclear if the demand was there before hand and that some people will be using the service just because it’s there.

well before when you lost your benefits it was for one week and you could claim hardship and other loans/payments

Now the sanction is for 4 weeks and you get nothing

Do you think this may create demand or not Mr Minister/Moderator?

It is obvious that giving folk no money will make them unable to buy food and to claim charity creates demand is madness.. Would he like to argue that Macmillian nurses cause cancer, shelter causes homlessness, liberty causes the erosion of rights, amnesty international creates political prisoners?

It defies belief someone could argue this even a tory

PS this is an excellent PR statement

We welcome the contribution voluntary organisations and food banks play in supporting local communities, beyond the safety net provided by government.

“That is why Jobcentre Plus – for the first time – is now referring people to their services. Our welfare reforms will improve the lives of some of the poorest families in our communities, with the universal credit simplifying the complex myriad of benefits and making three million households better off.”
    So there you go we need to use foodbanks and we are making it better for folk …amazing you can earn a living saying things you dont believe to be true

MoreCashThanDash

I’m sure this will sound all wrong, but presumably food banks do some sort of check to make sure you are eligible for their help?

It’s bad enough that people need to rely on them in this country in this day and age, but I’d be proper hacked off if any scroat could blow his benefit and/or low wages on Sky and fags and then get food from a foodbank, potentially stopping it going to a genuine case

Apologies if I sound like an out of touch Tory peer with my inappropriate language there…..

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

For the ones I know of you need a referral from Health/Social Care or Job Centre.

kimbers

wwaswas – Member
    I did say I sounded like a tory!

Regardless, I don’t think that a 2 week course/dig is ‘Job Seeking’ so I can’t see how that benefit could be claimed whilst doing it. Other benefits are no doubt available.

well seeing as I spend most of the day looking after the kids- took them out of nusery as thats insanely expensive- my jobsearching is done in the evening anyway

and as for other benefits!!, please point me toward some!! my wife is in work so nothing for us (well she was made redundant too at the end of last month so we are looking into that now!), I think youre straying into the territory the ill-informed tory media spoon fed people who seem to think the dole office is full of lazy workshy scroungers, I ve met a few there a few but 90% of those I see are absolutely desperate for any kind of work.

Ive been in continuous employment since my 1st paperound 20odd years ago so these past 6 months have been a real eye opener

wwaswas

I’m not saying it’s right that you don’t have work, that you aren’t trying to find new work or that jobs are easy to come by but I reiterate – how can two weeks away mean that you’re actively seeking work during that time?

kimbers

the dig in question was 500 metres from my house

and even tho i risk a sanction ill fess up, I did go on the course and was still able to apply for the same number of jobs I had before and bizarrely got 4 interviews over that period- which is 4 interviews more than Id had in the last 4 months! despite sending out at least an application a day , every day
    signed on today and the jc+ lady was very impressed at my efforts
    (interviews were-3 lab jobs and one evans cycles mechanic spot- and ill take any of them at the moment, sitting with fingers crossed)

and I learnt how to use a surveying equipment, got myself out of the house and a very much needed morale and confidence boost
    and found some cool roman pottery

and a neolithic blade

also mentioned teh dig in all 4 interviews and everyone seemed genuinely interested

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Food banks create their own demand?’ is closed to new replies.