Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • FollowMe or Trail-Gator ?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

First proper outing today. Was excellent – rode the Phoenix Trail.

Still going ok? Going to order mine today.

natrix
    Free Member

Have managed to set up my trailgator on several bike combinations. You just need to follow the instructions and use a torque wrench, always seems to work well for me.

Having said that I have seen lots that are poorly set up, probably because:

This is not a rocket ship, nor rocket science, how hard can it be?

Who needs instructions, I have achieved that heightened state of enlightenment as to how things go together because I am a (insert one of the following):

rocket scientist,
    designer
    engineer
    mechanic,
    expert DIY’er,
    just smarter than the average bear

I do have a “man card,” after all, I should know how to use tools and put things together

I wouldn’t even consider that this could go together any easier than how I would do it

gray

Haven’t used it since… Has done a fine job of sitting in the shed though. 🙂

I definitely think it’s good though. Could be a bit cheaper, but life’s too short to worry too much about that. We’re taking it down to the Camel Trail on Thursday. Should be ace.

gray

Was ace on the Camel Trail, by the way. Rode with some friends who had Trail Gators, and was glad that we’d invested in the FollowMe!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good to know. Mines in the shed waiting for some spanner time. Wise to do a couple of test rides before setting out on a proper ride?

gray

Nah, as long as you do it up tight enough it’ll be fine. I haven’t had to adjust anything since I wanged it on. I guess it could depend on how the kid takes to it. When I took Peter round the block after fitting ours he was laughing his head off the whole way.

gray

One tip though: if you take the kid’s bike’s pedals off for transport, then make sure you do them up properly before riding 5 miles towing the (kidless) bike to meet the family. Otherwise you might look a bit daft when someone asks why it only has one pedal. Luckily we were not far from a bike shop!

rossburton
    Free Member

One final tip: for the first ride take ear plugs if your kid is a “screamer”. I know when my youngest went on it the first time everyone within half a mile knew about it… (in a good way!)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah right, just tried installing it and the front axle on the frog bike has bolts that screw in, no threads to attach the big nuts on to. Do I need some sort of adapter for that then?

Still can’t quite figure out how the front wheel gets suspended off the ground either. What stops the follow me just rotating around the towing bikes axle?

Green

Yes, you need the quick release adapter set.

Re. Rotating around the axel, there is a u shaped bar which attaches to the bracket you fit on the down tube of the childs bike

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. Though I think I should have brought the Islabike version, bit of a pain. Might give them a call on Monday.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah I see the Islabike one is just the normal one with that bolt through kit. Looks like I need to order that. Thanks.

gray

Yep, we have the Islabike one – just adds a skewer thingy for hollow axles (on front of kidbike).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Finally got the new skewer through the post on Saturday. First trip out along the canal to a local festival thing with my boy on the Follow Me and my girl in the Hamax on Mrs B’s bike. Boy loved the Follow Me experience. So popular was it that I ended up having to take his friends for laps of the park on the follow me too! Big grins all round 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Still very happy with the Follow Me, great bit of kit. Good times 🙂

gray

Is it my dodgy eyes or is the bit attached to the kiddy bike down tube the ‘wrong’ way round? Actually I’ve a vague memory that that’s allowed if it clears better that way, so maybe ignore me!

mrblobby
    Free Member

It just fits better that way. I think the guide shows the other way round but says whichever way fits best.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘FollowMe or Trail-Gator ?’ is closed to new replies.