Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Following on from the most over-rated bike thread…
  • kimbers

hope seat clamps, made of cheese

funnily enough ive got a set of minis that have performed faultlessly for 8 years, 2 megavalanches, trips to frnace, spain, scotland wales, thetford etc

Aidan
    Free Member

Race Face X-Type cranks. Utter, utter, utter crap.

They come paired with awful BBs, and the cranks themselves quickly develop play. I can’t believe they went from square taper Turbines to that cack.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had great results from my Hope brakes. And Hollowtech II bearings 🙂

The only pair of Rockshox I’ve owned have been ace too – Revs – better than the Fox Floats I had by miles.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

air inside suspension components (instead of coils)

E.13 back rings, mine broke

Hope mini brakes

SPD’s

rear suspension generally

internal bottom brackets

hairspray to keep grips on. GET SOME LOCK ON GRIPS

Funny, isn’t it, how people’s experiences can be so vstly different.

Reba and Lefty air forks- superb.

Hope Mini Brakes – had mine for 7 years, been bled only 2 times (once was only ‘cos I needed to shorten the hose), performed absolutely perfectly with bugger all ‘maintenance’. Pads have lasted ages too, longer than the Avid and Hayes brakes I’ve also had.

SPDs- had two pairs of basic 515s for 9 years. Still faultless. No maintenance on either pair. Got other SPDs which are perfect too.

Internal BBs- UN52/72s have lasted me years. Even cheapo LP22s or whatever they’re called have been great for ages.

Hairspray- s’worked fine for me for all the time I’ve been riding! If it ain’t broke…

Having used a fair amount of kit in my 20 years of riding mountain bikes, most expensive stuff is well overrated. Unless you’re racing, I can’t really see why a hardtail need cost more than about £1000 max, and a Full susser more than £1800 really. It’s just gilding the lily. No harm in spending more, just don’t kid yourself it’s really ‘worth’ the extra. If you really want to buy into the marketing hype, then it’s your choice I spose.

As for Chris King; I just can’t see the point when plenty of other stuff is just as good. My experience with Hope stuff means I’ll probably never buy any CK bits. No need to spend extra. I don’t need to spend twice as much for ‘aerospace standard engineering’, ‘cos it’s a bike, not a fighter jet.

locomotive

Crank brothers eggbeaters.

I foolishly thought Id swap my time atac for eggbeaters, then after about 6 weeks bought a set for my 2nd bike so I could use same shoes on both bikes. Then first set broke (cracked), and got exchanged, then the 2nd set broke (bearings collapsed), then the replacement set broke (cracked)

So i put my old time pedals back on, and they still work perfectly.

iain1775
    Free Member

‘cos it’s a bike, not a fighter jet

yeah but its fun to pretend
    go on admit it, down that singletrack through the trees
    Who hasnt

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Following on from the most over-rated bike thread…’ is closed to new replies.