• This topic has 38 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lord.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Following on from the BMX thread I have a question about sizing
  • Harry_the_Spider

What size frame for somebody who is 5’11” and nearly 47 years old 😉 ?
    For reference my Cannondale Trigger is Large, my inbred is 18”, my road bike is 56cm and so is my CX.

Stevet1
    Free Member

What are you planning to do on it? Racing / track? or skatepark / jumps?
    probably around 21″ anyhow, maybe slightly longer for the track.

alexh
    Free Member

http://redlinebicycles.com/downloads/

Good sizing chart there

rhid

Oh why did you share that link!!

tthew

Wheel size is a consideration too isn’t it? What do you prefer riding at the track, 20 or 24″? And of course, the proper answer is ‘what ever you can get before 9th November’. Not too far away.

Harry_the_Spider

20″

alishand

I am 6ft, and rode a 21″ frame with a slack 74 degree head angle for most of my time bmxing (having tried different combos of both head angle and top tube length). Combined with some 29″ bars with a 8.5″ rise the bike felt like a limo, but was so stable at high speeds and when airing about the place.

This was the frame I used to ride, and that I still have in my loft: FMB Steadfast

So, for your height, ideally look at 21″ or at least nothing below 20.75″. Anything shorter will be too cramped, unless you are a planning on doing a lot of slow techy street riding.

As for head angle, I would suggest a 74 degree, as 75 degrees is very twitchy, and will have a lot of pop in the front end (i.e. falling of the back a lot of the time).

These recommendations come from a park background by the way. I guess BMX race will be even slacker, and longer!

rOcKeTdOg

I don’t need a BMX, I’ve never had a BMX in my life but I want a BMX

Help, I’m 48 & 6ft2!

D0NK

I didn’t even know they did different size bmxs 😳 I went to get one and the guy in the shop said “here you go”. No idea what size it is.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m the same height as HTS and ride a 21.75″.

I say ride, I’ve not ridden it in years. If anyone want’s it, sensible offer and it’s yours.

I don’t need a BMX, I’ve never had a BMX in my life but I want a BMX

Help, I’m 48 & 6ft2! Without trying to sell it too hard, you won’t find much longer than that —-^

Harry_the_Spider

YGM

Stevet1
    Free Member

This was the frame I used to ride, and that I still have in my loft: FMB Steadfast

Ooo nice, was about to pull the trigger on one of these a few years back but went with a standard trailboss instead.

goby

Im 6ft 2 and ride a 21.5 bmx. Find it fine for the skate park and bmx track its all good fun, yep and im 40 next year. 😀

pickle
    Free Member

To the OP, Any BMX with a top tube of around 20.75 should be just right for you. I’m 6′ 2″ and ride 21″ BMXs.

In all honesty that Crispy thing is rubbish!

What is your budget? let me know and i’ll do a bit of digging around for you 🙂

pickle
    Free Member

something like this would be a great starting point, sealed bearings all round and good quality parts with a 21″ top tube.

http://www.customriders.com/prodshow.asp?prodid=15961&cat=57&parent=1010&sid=3

also from a quality BMX shop, not w@nkstanleys 😉

twistedpencil

Only first line of post just appeared, for a stable ride look for as long as a top tube that feels comfortable before being stretched. I’m on a XXXL, 22.4″ and it feels great, 6’3″ mind. Still might invest in a longer stem…

Harry_the_Spider

In all honesty that Crispy thing is rubbish!

Thanks, thought it was a bit too good to be true so I’m glad that I checked. I need to count my pennies and weigh up whether I really, really need one :-/

Harry_the_Spider

Anyone know anything about the Haro 350.1? RRP is allegedly £399, but this is 2013 with a whopping discount.

I’ve found one with a 21″ TT that I may be able to get through a C2W scheme.

robdob
    Free Member

I always thought you chose the length of the bike dpeending on what type of riding you did… not your height.

I generally rode a 19″ TT bike as I like park/street/flatland, this was my last bike (why oh why did I sell it….:( )

Harry_the_Spider

I always thought you chose the length of the bike dpeending on what type of riding you did… not your height.

Probably… This is a bit of a steep learning curve for me 😀

I’ll be riding it at track. I’m too old for stunts n tricks. By the sounds of it I need a longer rather than shorter TT.

alishand

Ooo nice, was about to pull the trigger on one of these a few years back but went with a standard trailboss instead.

It’s a lovely frame which was actually a wedding gift of all things! Number 60 of the 80 which were made. Standards are class – I always preferred properly made frames when compared to some of the rubbish which was coming out of the East.

Probably… This is a bit of a steep learning curve for me

I’ll be riding it at track. I’m too old for stunts n tricks. By the sounds of it I need a longer rather than shorter TT.

Its a bit of both height and style when it comes to BMX. You’ve nailed it though; if you’re going to ride track you will probably want a long top tube, 21″, 21.25″ (or bigger!), something along those lines.

There is a pretty reasonable second hand market if you look around (due to BMXing collapsing in on itself over the past year or so in favour of scooooooters, and older kids who got caught in the initial hype getting girlfriends / cars). Although, as should be obvious, due to the beating BMXs take you should be careful when buying.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I had a Standard Bikes 250l custom geo made for me a few years ago (74 ha 21.5″tt 14″ cs).I’d ridden lots between 21.25″ and 22″ (T1 Ruben,Macneil deuce,Macneil Young,WTP Blacksmith and few others) and to be honest they did’nt feel massively differently compared to having different rear end lengths .Race bmx’s even with shorter tt’s feel like much more forgiving because of the long chainstays.
    Find something 21″ stick some 8.5″+ bars on you’ll be fine.

I was a youthful 37 at this point…..ahh the glory days.

robdob
    Free Member

Id like a BMX again but none of them come with front brakes now (AD990). Any that do are ultra specific flatland bikes which you can’t ride ramps or street on.

pickle
    Free Member

As a rule they don’t come with 990 lugs on the forks but there’s plenty of after market forks with them.

Hary The Spider, if it’s just the track you’re going to ride it on then you need to be looking at more race orientated bikes or even something like a cruiser (Floval flyer).

I’ll have a look for you and bang up some links.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

due to BMXing collapsing in on itself over the past year or so in favour of scooooooters, and older kids who got caught in the initial hype getting girlfriends / cars

I think the “older kids who got caught in the initial hype” are now getting mid life crises and divorces!

mamadirt
    Free Member

robdob, CRC have AD990s for £9.00 at the mo’ – just bought one for my imminent rebuild. Plenty of forks with mounts on the ‘bay too.

yossarian
    Free Member

It’s a 29er!!

lewis75
    Free Member

I got a bit carried away for the “BMX for a lanky unbendy 40 yr old” earlier this year and bought a 22″ BMX from the US.
    22.5″ top tube AND 22″ wheels. Less twitchy that a 20″ but way more fun than a 24″

Harry_the_Spider

Ooooo. Got a link?

lewis75
    Free Member

http://www.sandmbikes.com/product/hardgoods/frames/atf-frame-for-22-wheel/
    Found a decent shop on eBay and got a deal on frame/wheels/parts

brennak

I’ve found one with a 21″ TT that I may be able to get through a C2W scheme

I’ll look forward to seeing your commute to work PB’s on strava. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

TINAS.

I’ll have it! I’ll email you on Monday with some details.

Thanks,

HTS

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks to the incessant rain it has taken me 6 weeks to take Midlife Crisis #1 for a test flight.

New chain, clean and lube, resurrect the brakes…BOOM!

rOcKeTdOg

Is that how many teeth you’ll have left afterwards?

mintimperial

Excellent! Now we just need an official MNPR BMX session to allow us to give our verdict… 😉

Harry_the_Spider

It isn’t the prettiest, but it will do for bombing round the park with my lad.

lord
    Free Member

And theres me thinking bmx bikes looked like these me and the lad where playing out on today .

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Following on from the BMX thread I have a question about sizing’ is closed to new replies.