Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Folk that post links to ruin peoples sales
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

I have noticed this a new times now. Somebody might be trying to sell something and along comes Mr googlesearch that has found the same item,brand new at a similar cost or cheaper. Does it need to be done or would it be better if folk just let people get on with their sales?

djglover
    Free Member

Think of it as another Market force. A helpful ying to the conmans yang

highclimber
    Free Member

why were you selling something at an (over)inflated price and someone found you out?

martinxyz
    Free Member

I suppose,it can work both ways. No I haven’t been selling anything.Just something I have noticed.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

That’s why I always google search before I sell something and check I’m selling at a reasonable price. So yes I think it should be done.

IanW
    Free Member

Tis the power of the web, upsets all sorts of people though, good.

chewkw
    Free Member

I do not see a problem there … 🙄

grum
    Free Member

It’s banned on some forums I frequent. I don’t see the problem me self.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem me self.

Agreed!

scaredypants

I don’t really have a problem with it, but then I sell hardly anything

Could be that the seller has no idea of value and needs somebody to help set a fair price in order to shift the thing or could be that the seller is taking the piss

I wouldn’t link to another page unless I was bloody sure that the item was identical and in stock – otherwise you’d just look like a total arse

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends how it is done but generally I think it is community minded to stop someone getting ripped off

yunki
    Free Member

community spirit innit.. 🙂

paddy0091
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with it, if people won’t sell something at a realistic price..

Northwind

It’s not about ripping off, sometimes when folks post things at a high price they genuinely think it’s a fair one.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, thats the thing. I imagine some users arent “IT Savvy” enough to shop online. Therefore they buy all there goods from their local bike shops at RRP prices.

martinxyz
    Free Member

yeah, well the part I am thinking about is over in the classifieds right now. A £300 reverb thats new.. but the guy has dropped the price by 60 quid. Someone comes along and says you can buy it new from a shop for the same price. So he drops it to £220. He may have paid full RRP for it and because of the guy searching for the same item,for no benefit of his own,the seller has to lose out more money.

I personally,in this example,would keep out of it.

I don’t use any other forums,never knew they banned this behaviour.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Well, he must have been a bit of a mug to pay full price for it or he’s just trying his luck.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Or innocent. Who knows!

Bucko

I think it’s out of order to post ‘it’s £5 cheaper at CRC’ on someone’s advert if you have no intention of buying it. Isn’t that what haggling and ‘or near offer (ono)’ are for?

If I wanted £50 for something I may advertise it for £55 knowing full well that someone will offer below the asking price. Not trying to rip anyone off, just playing the game.

scaredypants

there’s a pair of gloves on there that someone has said crc are selling at the same price

only in a different size and colour but, yeah, same price 😐

boxelder

I’d say, in the example of the reverb, it’s up to the buyer to research and offer less, explaining where it can be had cheaper. I wonder if those same posters would write “That’s a bit under-valued – you could probably get 20% more for that and it still be a fair price”, or would they just snap up the bargain?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a community, and a public forum, I think it’s a good thing, the stupid and rip-off merchants can **** off.

martinxyz
    Free Member

come to think of it.. people phone the shop and tell us they have seen it for this price. We click open the website they are talking of and find that its in purple and xxs. We point this out to them and they either buy the item or hang up sheepishly!

‘hanging up sheepishly’ Hmm,don’t ask where that one came from.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If I was selling something overpriced I wouldn’t mind it being pointed out and if I was buying I would be very glad if someone pointed out it was overpriced.

Bucko – if its £50 new and you ask £55 for it its a ripoff

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t have the time to look at For Sale posts for stuff that I have no intention of buying. Maybe for some it’s a form of therapy.

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Bucko – if its £50 new and you ask £55 for it its a ripoff

Try reading that post again TJ.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I fancy a reverb to replace the maverick and thought it would be worth a peek.

…just ordered it from Tweeks,no I’m kidding!

druidh
    Free Member

Fair do’s martin – but would you go on just to post up a cheaper price?

martinxyz
    Free Member

I don’t think I would…. and don’t think I ever have. If you search,who knows what I have said in the past!

falkirk-mark

Folk that post links to stop fellow forumites paying over the odds.
    Fixed your title for you.

saleem
    Free Member

WTD green spearfish…… £500 budget…. What you got xyz

martinxyz
    Free Member

Get back to me tomorrow.

::looks out paint/papier mache kit and gets to work::

martinxyz
    Free Member

Folk that post links to stop fellow forumites <insert how you feel here>.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Yours for 350 saleem.

paper mache bicycle by mumblion, on Flickr

theboatman
    Free Member

It’s fair imo, providing the item linked to is the same size, colour, spec etc.

toys19
    Free Member

there’s a pair of gloves on there that someone has said crc are selling at the same price

only in a different size and colour but, yeah, same price

Exactly, or some people post a link to the wrong item, which happened to me once, peed me off..

On other forums if you start a thread you can delete other peoples posts on your thread, so that can be helpful..

snax

This is something that get’s on my nerves, and you see it a lot on other forums as well… Advertising something for sale at a given price on here doesn’t mean anyone has to but it for that price, it’s the start of the negoation. I buy a lot of parts from here, so watch the add’s relatively often, if I see something as being advertised for more than it’s worth, I move on… usually it won’t sell and will come up cheaper next week, thats natural market forces…

You wouldn’t go and sit in your LBS and tell customers coming through the door that they can buy cheaper online would you?

Toasty

To be honest, I’m pleased people do post the lower prices, or catch people out when the model isn’t what was quoted. In both cases the only person getting shafted is the buyer.

If the selling NEEDS that price, they can wait a while, and try again when the sale has gone.

Clearly no one would go into their LBS and do this. On the flip side would you buy bargains off CRC, use them for a while, then sell them on here for a profit? Knowing full well the buyer could get them cheaper?

it’s the start of the negoation

Fine, surely them posting a lower price is the first step in the negotiation?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Interesting question. I have posted such comments on a couple of occasions – but not recently – and over a year ago I asked the opinion of people here before ever doing so. I would only do this if I thought the poster really was doing something a bit silly. And frankly now I CBA.

Bottom line. This is NOT a paid classified ad site, it is a Community where people are allowed to advertise for free, and other people are allowed to make comments which might be useful to/protect the interests of other forum users. If advertisers don’t like it – they can find other places to advertise.

As for other forums… try posting something over-priced on TGR and see just what happens… 😉

On another forum recently there was a link to where you could get some £50 ski gloves for £5, and the next day someone who’d been along trying to sell them for £30… you can guess the rest. 🙂

I think personally it’s up to the buyer to do a quick search and see how much an item is before they buy. Seriously how easy is it nowadays to google an item on your phone and ping within a second or so you see how much it is at merlin,crc,wiggle etc.
    I had a similiar situation whereby a member posted up saying he wouldn’t pay beyond a certain amount and that’s cause he sold the exact model for much less, did a bit of digging and in fact the model he sold was much lower spec. Why put your nose in!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Folk that post links to ruin peoples sales’ is closed to new replies.