Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Folding or wire bead road tires?
  • griffiths1000
    Free Member

Looking to replace the tires on my road bike. Folding are obviously lighter than wire bead. Are they worth the extra money? Any other advantages?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Depends on the tyres. I have had wire bead that you can pop off the rim with your fingers to change a puncture, and folders which have made me question the existence of a god.

hooli

folders which have made me question the existence of a god

That made me chuckle, and when this happens it is normally in winter, when it has just started to rain and you are going to be home late for something important, and your phone battery is nearly dead.

To answer the OP, I normally buy whatever is cheapest 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Saccades
    Free Member

on-one are selling vittoria rubino pro’s for about £8 (folding).

Good tyre, dirt cheap.

mrblobby
    Free Member

High end tyres are worth the money IMO. Not all about the weight, they are suppler and give a much nicer ride. Higher end are usually all folders. Lower end of the lower end are usually wire bead.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Saccades – Member

on-one are selling vittoria rubino pro’s for about £8 (folding).

Good tyre, dirt cheap.

Cheers Saccades planetx have some unbelievable deals for anyone looking for tires. Just ordered a couple sets of these 70% discount!!! 😀 5 star review here

scruff9252

I bought some of those diamante 3’s last week. Took 2 hours to fit to my 38mm carbon clinchers wheels. I really hope they come off easier when I get a puncture.

Lovely tyres though!

globalti
    Free Member

Fitting tight tyres is a breeze if you sprinkle the beads with talc first; it’s the best natural dry lubricant for sticky rubbber.

Good tyres will transform the ride and feel of any bike. Manufacturers almost always save money by fitting budget tyres, which often have wire beads and are heavy and dull to ride. I used to ride Michelin Pro 3s then Pro 4s and now I’ve gone over to Veloflex Corsas, which are simply unbelievable. Not the most rugged tyres but the closest apparently to a tubular that you’ll get in a clincher and they ride like a dream and stick to the road like glue, transforming the feel of the bike. £52.45 a pair from Ribble.

cjr61

Decent folders are the way forwards….saying that I’ve got some Pro4’s and a Pro3 for sale at the moment (sorry for gratuitous plug) ….check my profile for recent sale post.

Chris

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Folding or wire bead road tires?’ is closed to new replies.