Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Folding or non folding tyres???
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

Is there any difference between them …other than one is easier to carry around as a spare….

I’m thinking about buying some gatorskin tyres for my roadie….as these are great for puncture protection ( so I’ve been told)

Are the non folding tyres more harder to take on/ off ??

Thanks

ahwiles
    Free Member

Folding tyres are lighter.

i find folding tyres can be a little more fiddly to fit, but there’s not much in it (the most embuggering tyres i’ve ever fitted were a pair of schwalbe marathons, with steel beads).

often, ‘nice’ tyres are only available with a folding bead – there may be a steel bead version, but that may be a cheap OEM version, made from a kind of rubber that simply doesn’t grip very well.

gatorskins are a popular choice for commuters, keen roadies can be a little sniffy about them – not supple enough, or something.

tomd
    Free Member

There is a weight different but also the folding tyres tend to be on tyres with better quality carcasses (higher TPI, more supple) and better compounds. The more supple tyre should offer a better ride.

So look at the spec of the whole tyre, not just folding / not folding. There are some rank folding tyres out there, and some steel beads that are decent (if a bit heavier).

lunge

I prefer folders as they are lighter and tend to have a better compound.

I’d also heavily advise you avoid Gatorskins, I think they’re a horrible tyre, they lack grip, feel dead and aren’t that puncture resistant in my eyes. Get some Vredestein Senso Xtreme’s from Ribble instead, IMO they are better in every way than Gatorskins.

cheekyget
    Free Member
    lunge

Yep, those are they, they do a right job on my winter road bike.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Phew!!……thanks lunge, because I already ordered them from ribble about 3pm today…..hoping they were the right ones….lol

Northwind

The thing is often wire bead are just lower quality in general- tyre companies know that a lot of buyers make that connection, foldy=better so they make their best tyres foldy and their less good tires wirey. It’s more a correlation than anything else but it’s a fairly useful one, there’s exceptions though

deadkenny
    Free Member

Folding will go through a letterbox. That’s enough for me.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

If you have ever tried fitting a set of Intense DH non folders then you’ll no doubt know the difference.

Folders are a great advance on steel wire beads.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I prefer folders as they are lighter and tend to have a better compound. Get some Vredestein Senso Xtreme’s from Ribble instead, IMO they are better in every way than Gatorskins.

Well I got my tyres today..the senso xtreme from ribble ( how fast delivery??), and I took the bike out for a 28miler….

Whoa…who would have though some tyres make a difference ???…..I’m a believer ..thanks lunge…great advise

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Folding or non folding tyres???’ is closed to new replies.