Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Folding hand saw – recommendation
  • ts4or5
    Free Member

I tried the search function but these are extremely common words in different contexts!

I’m after a folding hand saw for the garden, but also for cutting a fallen wood (branches) when out and about. Yes, predictable woodburner content. (I won’t be cutting live trees before I get flamed).

Anyone pleased with a recent purchase at a reasonable cost?

Thanks!

z1ppy

I found folding too short, especially if you going to use it round the garden. Silky Fox Gomtaro* sheathed for me, available in numerous sizes from 200mm to 300mm, bloody good bit of kit.. but if you really want a folder, check out the Bahco laplander

* A jedi recommendation

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Bahco Laplander Folding Saw
    /thread

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I got one of the Fiskars ones from B&Q, about 20 quid I think but it’s flippin brilliant. Felled trees up to 8″ dia no problem, brilliant for pruning/lopping.

Highly recommended… Telescopic rather than folding, so slightly longer.

z1ppy

That what my old one was, I damaged the blade (bent it), so bought the Silky Fox for trail use. Used the Friska round the garden and eventually snapped the blade (after several years use), so spoke to Friska and they replaced it free of charge.
    Can’t moan at that service, but do prefer the Silky as a saw.

ts4or5
    Free Member

I saw the Bahcos, look good.

Fiskas – telescopic you say? Hmmm

Sounds like the Silky fox might be a bit long for lugging about.

Thanks all!

ski
    Free Member

Another vote for the Bahco, use mine to death, still razor sharp, blades last for ages too

timbur
    Free Member

Silky all the way if you are happy spending the money. If you treat them well you should get ages out of the blade. Be careful though, they are bloody sharp and will cut VERY deep. Being a pull saw they have a habit of jumping in the initial cut so best to wear a glove on the NON-cutting hand to add a bit of protection.
    Look here for the cheapest prices.
    http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/silky/pruning-saws1/
    Tim

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve used a folding 10 inch Corona saw. The blade is longer than a lot of the folding saws, and they’re cheap ($20 in the US) compared to the Silky and other pro saws.

flip
    Free Member

Silky Accel here, i use it most days in my business, you can cut 4″ branches easily.

Super sharp.

That Corona ^^^^^ looks good too, good reputation.

Or a Silky Katanboy 😉

http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/folding/katanaboy.html

Kuco

Silky Gomtaro 300m fits in a camelbak,

jamest
    Free Member

Bahco laplander , swedish steel, good enough for Ray Mears!

josh1982
    Free Member

Felco f600

st

A further recommendation for Silky, I have a folding pocket boy for my camelbak and a sheathed gomtaro for (official) trail building. Pick the model and size of blade that suits your needs.

burko73

You just can’t fault silky saws. Have a gomtaro for a long time now replaceable blade etc will cut through stuff almost as big as it is.

Remember though fallen deadwood is the start of life in the woods…. That’s where the bug food chain starts in woodlands… you shouldnt just be nicking it.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/lifeinthedeadwood.pdf/$FILE/lifeinthedeadwood.pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Folding hand saw – recommendation’ is closed to new replies.