Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Folding bike on a plane – how to pack?
  • AlasdairMc

I’m just looking for some anecdotal experience of how best to pack a folding bike as checked baggage.

I’m working in that London next year for a few months and want to be able to ride a bike while I’m there (and for more than 30mins at a time, ruling out Boris bikes). A folder is my natural choice, and I’m debating taking it up and down with me every week on the plane.

I think there are two schools of thought here – either pack it as I would any other bike, padded box etc, or just put it in a clear poly bag and hope that it doesn’t get chucked around too much on the basis that the baggage handlers see it as a bike.

The bike flies free (BA) so I’m not concerned with disguising it as luggage, so I’d be interested in your experiences of taking a folder in minimal packaging.

dovebiker

Depends on how pristine you want to keep your paintwork and components – any exposed components and paintwork is going to get scuffed / chipped. If it was me, I’d put it in a bag/box – SJS Cycles has a good range.

AlasdairMc

Thanks. I’m not overly concerned with scrapes and scratches – it’s a glorified commuter so these things happen. I’ll check out SJS though

StirlingCrispin

Bromptons can be fitted into a hard Samsonite suitcase.

AlasdairMc

The problem I have with a hard case is getting it and bike into London. I was debating a collapsible bag that could be stowed on the bike so I could ride from the airport (London City) into town. At worst I suppose I could pack a bag out with cardboard and bin it at the airport when I arrive.

johnners
    Free Member

Find a way to take it as hand luggage. That way you can style it up when you go to the shitter mid-flight.

TiRed

Airnimal suitcase used to take my brompton fine. And it will take an Airnimal, obviously. Bike Friday are also built to be stowed in a suitcase. The cases convert into a trailor.

What folder?

AlasdairMc

I’ve got a Tern Verge X10 on order – a balance between weight and the ability to get some decent miles in. It folds to a similar size to a Brompton, give or take a couple of inches.

It can’t go as hand luggage unfortunately, because my hand luggage needs to go there…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The cardboard box will be dead in a couple of week, especially if you get some rain. I’d go with a dedicated bag mostly for ease of carrying in and out of the airport etc.

rpallen
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Folding bike on a plane – how to pack?’ is closed to new replies.