Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Foes FXR 06/07 – have I got the 5'' or 6'' version?!?!
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

This might sound a bit odd… I bought what I was told is the 6'' 2007 Foes FXR.

However, I now have reason to believe (i.e. because it was from IWH/Hamish) that that could be b**locks.

Does anyone know how I can tell whether it's the 5'' or 6'' version?

If I measure the stroke of the shock then it would only ever get 75mm (and hence deliver 150mm wheel travel) if the bottom out bumper was completely squashed to nothing (it's a coil shock).

As such it's hard to imagine how on earth I would ever get 150mm travel of it..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Contact Jamie at Balfa UK – they are the Foes importers now and should be able to help. They are very nice and way better than hotlines ever were.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Ask you wife if it's 5" or 6"?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy – I have talked to Jamie about it before but it just told me to remove the spring, compress shock and measure stroke.

However, because of the chunky half-inch bottom-out bumber I can only ever compress the shock about 65mm (which would equate to 5'' travel).

SO.. I don't know if the FXR is designed to use it's last half inch of stroke (and hence inch of travel) through the squishing of the bumper??

It doesn't seem right to me – you'd never get into the final inch of travel unless you ****tted something hard!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

thanks ChunkyMTB.. 🙂

simonm
    Free Member

Dont think they would design to use a squishy bumper Dan… kinda defeats the reason for that curnutt shock.

simonm
    Free Member

Then again… how else do you stop a coil shock from getting to the end of travel….mmm.. I'll take a look at my DHX when I get home Dan, its got simular bumper on it.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi Si, yeah I know – tis a bit weird tbh. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had flogged me the 5'' version and lied about it 🙁

If it is a 5''er it just goes to show how effective it is – feels like a 6''er!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Isnt the point of the bumper for when 'you ****tted something hard!'?

Thats what I thought. Otherwise the shock could have a metal on metal impact that could damage it?

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I have a 2007 FXR with 5" travel with Curnutt ITD shock, no idea what the difference is to the 6" a part from the obvious inch. Cost exactly the same for 5" or 6", perhaps just the shock is setup slightly different, but i am guessing.

I bought it new and just had to say if i wanted 5" or 6", weight and what sort of riding i did and the shock came all set up for me.

Never had any problems and doubt i would tell the difference with an extra inch.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

GrumpyStevo – could you do me a favour?

Any chance you could measure the stroke to the top of the yellow bottom-out bumper?

Tbh I thought they only did a few 5'' versions in 2006.. confused :-S

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Sure, will measure it tonight.

I will also double check when i bought it.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

cheers!

Could you also measure the eye-to-eye length of the shock (if you have a ruler bigger enough 😉 )

ijs445ra
    Free Member

eye to eye 11"

Stroke 2.5" to bumper

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

cheers! And is yours definitely the 5 inch travel version??!!

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Yes i found receipt and i bought it late 2006. I definately asked for a 5" as i did not think i would ever need 6".

pic here http://www.flickr.com/photos/22074891@N07/4069815032/

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

When measuring stroke/shaft length you dont take into account the bottom out bumper. This is only there as a precaution/safety bumper. Ideally try & measure from the seal on the shock body down to the top of the metal cup where the bumper sits.

The 2:1 5" & 6" frames were the same apart from a modification inside the shock to limit stroke. Basically the 5" frame has/had the shock from the XCT-5. This is the same shock as the 6" but with an additional delrin spacer inside the shock.

The older 3:1 5" frames had a completely different shock & it was much smaller.

I take it your frame has a monocoque top tube & not a seat tower?

J

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

hmmm – mine's got the same stroke as yours steve but the eye-to-eye is about 11 and 1/3rd. . . It does sound howevers that I've been **** over yet again by hamish as it looks like it is the five inch version and not the six as it was sold as !
    does explain why the last inch of travel seems impossible to get 🙁

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

jamie- its the fxr with seat tower bit as per 06 and 07 models.

I dont understand why my stroke from seal to bumper is same as steve's if mine is a six incher?

Thing is jamie – would the bike use the final inch of travel if last inch of stroke is entirely through the bumper??

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Ropey,

Sounds like the 5" and 6" were the same but with a mod to the shock internals. Jamie would be able to confirm if you can have the additional spacer removed.

duckman

Rather an interesting thread bearing in mind how many people were suggesting you WERE iwh/Hamish

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

GrumpyStevo- cheers for your help.

It's intriguing in that it if mine is a 6''er then the shock still appears to have the same stroke as yours… although like Jamie says the internal wotsit could reduce the total travel.

What I don't understand is why the 5'' travel version wouldn't have either a larger bumper or a shorter stroke?

If the bumper is in the same place for 5'' and 6'' models then it would only be actually used on the 6'' er?

Confused :-S

(and yes, duckman.. indeed – it took a lot of people on here several months to believe me not to be IWH/Hamish :-/ )

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Ropey,

Whats the frame number? You can email this to me if you like (jamieATbalfaDOTcoDotuk).

I can hook it into Foes database & tell you exactly what colour, size & model should be.

J

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Cheers Jamie – I'll have a look tonight and email you in the morning.

(btw YGM to do with my shock service back in May/June..thanks!)

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi jamie. The only number I can find on the frame is

L6635

. . Seems a bit short but I guess foes make smaller batches of bikes than most people?!

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hello
    I have got a 5 inch xct and a 6 inch fxr, the length of the whole shock is the same, but the strokes are not, xct is 2.5 and the fxr is 3inches, thats measured from the retaining cap to the start of the main body, and does include the yellow bumper, hope this helps.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Also, i think that foes changed the mech hanger for 07, from ali to steel, and the 07 model is fixed to the frame with screws on the inside of the dropout, i think, not 100% sure. Jamie will know.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Cheers forgotmename!

It's interesting in that my stroke looks the same as grumpyStevo's – either I've got a 5''er or he's got a 6''er too!?

If the shock stroke includes the bumper does that not inhibit the last inch of stroke of the shock considerably? The bumper seems quite firm..

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Looks like i may have a 6" then as i was 2.5" stroke to the bumper not including it.

Will send my frame number off and get confirmation as well.

forgotmename
    Free Member

No probs.

simonm
    Free Member

Dan, Could this bit that Jamie mentions, "The 2:1 5" & 6" frames were the same apart from a modification inside the shock to limit stroke." mean that the shock could still have the same amount of shaft externally, but be limited in its travel. Therefore both the 5" and 6" have the same amount of shaft showing.. That way all the linkages stay at 2:1, and the mounts would be the same for the frame ?

forgotmename
    Free Member

No. The whole shock on both the 5 and 6 are the same length, the strokes are 2.5 and 3inches, the bodys are the same length, but on the part of the shock that fits onto the linkage, {the part with the rebound adjuster on} there is 15mm difference, the 5inch is 50mm and 6inch is 35mm. Thats where the difference is, ive just measured it. I think i sound like a sad tosser know.

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

I'm not saying a word……

The shock on the 6.5" FXR & XCT are the same but the XCT has an internal spacer to reduce the travel on it. There have been many incarnations of these shocks over the years.

The only sure way to tell for all of those who are worried/confused, drop me an email with the shock serial no. (not the frame as i mistakenly said before as the frames are the same!!! Its the shock that sets the travel).

J

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

ah right.. cheers Jamie, I'll email the shock serial number to you tomorrow…

simonm
    Free Member

so Jamie, your going to get a load of blokes emailing you to see if they have 5 or 6 inches ?………

forgotmename
    Free Member

Thats wise Jamie!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

JAMIE – I've sent you a mail with my shock's serial number.

thanks

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Any news Jamie???

ta

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

..I was thinking it doesn't make much sense in that the air curnutt would have a full clear 3'' of stroke and not be inhibited by a bumper as there isn't one.. ?!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Foes FXR 06/07 – have I got the 5'' or 6'' version?!?!’ is closed to new replies.