Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • FOD uplift or push up?
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

Searched the forum, can’t find this exact topic so…

Any FOD downhill regulars got any advice? I’ve never done the downhills there, was wondering what the push up is like?

Times are hard kids, not sure if I can justify 25 sheets for the uplift…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Wouldnt call myself a DH regular, but do ride there regularly no a mix of routes including the DH runs.

Height gain is about 150m I reckon. I’ve always thought that I could probably ride back up quicker than waiting for the van to get loaded, faffing, helmets left behind etc. But, how many times could I do this before I got knackered and/or bored?

might depend what bike you’re on – I dont ride a DH monster.

Of course, it’s totally unradonculous to the core to be seen pedalling back up to the top of a run.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Push up is not hard.But time consuming.If you get to the top of them then run the half runs then you can do quite a few with not to much push up.Then do a full one for your lunch break.

Trimix
    Free Member

If your riding a 50+lb bike you may need an uplift.

On anything else that has a chain and pedals I would just ride back up the hill.

scruff
    Free Member

Fire road push up is OK and could be ridden fine on a normal bike but the steep pushup by the powerlines is a short sharp killer to me. Everytime I go now I book the uplift, its worth the price IMO as you’ll do twice as many runs.

magoo37
    Free Member

If you are riding a full on dh bike £25 will seem like a bargain by the end of the day trust me!

Me and my gf were there on thurs for a bit of post mini downhill ‘this is where we went wrong’ and that relatively short (but steep) hill got longer and longer as the day went on .. gorgeous sunshine and body armour didn’t help either!!

Pay the cash if you can afford it …..

greeble
    Free Member

If you’re riding that sort of bike you’re doing it wrong

toys19
    Free Member

The uplift is a glorius luxury. 25 quid is cheeeep.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ll be on a Titus El Guapo that is about 31 lb and goes uphill quite nicely. Might just go over and try riding up the fireroads / push up the steep bit, give it a go ya know. If my balls are well and truly busted by dinner time I’ll know to book the uplift next time

Cheers for your help peeps

toys19
    Free Member

The uplift is a different experience than going for a ride up hill and down dale, which is essentially what you will be doing, albeit repeating the same hill and dale, they are two different things. If you have a DH bike and want to save your energy for the downs then you will find the uplift brilliant, if you are fit enough to do 15 climbs and 15 descents in a day then all power to you, I personally find after 15 descents I am pooped. I wouldnt want to have had to climb up every time too.

Its a money/choice thing.

edit: someone up there said height gain is 150m, well x15 is 2250 vertical metres of climbing, umm that is a lot. I measured top to bottom on my phone gps as 40m , which is still 600m on a full day. At gawton we measure 120m and did this 11 times in a day. I was a dead man after pushing my bullit up that..

TiRed

Have you ever ridden a tandem with a kid on the back? I can definitively say it is easier to ask them to get off and walk!

You just need the right gears…

_tom_
    Free Member

I much prefer the uplift. 15-16 runs in the day, probably won’t get half that if you’re pushing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘FOD uplift or push up?’ is closed to new replies.