Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • FOD uplift – had a good day yesterday. Warning going downhill only content.
  • toys19
    Free Member

I can see that about 98% of STWers will not be interested in downhill only. But if you vaguely enjoy riding downhill than this is worth a look.

We took a skiver yesterday and went to Cannop for a day with flyupdownhill. I hadn't been there before and lots of people laughed when I told them of an uplift service their so I was a bit worried that it would be crap…

I can honestly say it was brilliant, the runs are about 2-4 mins each, with a 5 min lead in on a fire road, but they are all really good, lots of nice berms, rooty sections and great little jumps and drops. I can see that pushing up might be a good way to save 20 quid if you are 14, but for 38 year old fat knackers the uplift was such a good idea. We managed 15 runs in the day with an hours lunch break, and it was so good to spend a day riding and not being really knackered from wasting my energy going up and really enjoying putting everything into the going down.

There were initially 9 of us in the 16 man bus and the pace of ride and uplift was pretty intense, as the day pro0gressed the ranks of riders increased to 13 or so and that slowed things up just in terms of loading and unloading but not to anyone's detriment.

We will be going back.

jam-bo

4min tracks!!!! Must be a bigger hill than I thought…

toys19
    Free Member

4min tracks!!!! Must be a bigger hill than I thought…

I think that is more a reflection of my speed/ability, although I took every jump/drop apart from one horrible big ditch jump.

It is tight and twisty in places though so that slows up proceedings.

scruff
    Free Member

How many different tracks are there ?

kimbers

been meaning to check this one out

will have to be september for me i think

toys19
    Free Member

Umm 5 I think. They cross a series of fire roads so you can switch between upper and lower parts of a single named run.

we did

1) Sheepskull, rooty some berms lots of little jumps to pop you up. A few gullies and tight sections
    2) Corkscrew – fast top section, smoother with berms and great jumps, crosses road into a steep rooty section with a great jump at the bottom , over another road keeping speed to get up a bank, then a hip jump and a drop into a step up which was hard to clear, but it has a flat landing area for the lamers..
    3) Ski run – again rooty with more berms an jumps, and a great table top followed by a little road gap
    4) Flatland – fast and short only goes to first fire road, with a horrid ditch clearance jump that is best avoided..

We often did sheep-ski which was sheepskull top and ski run bottom.

I think there was loads of other stuff but that was enough to keep us occupied, I like to repeat a route and learn it so you can get the best bits nicely off pat..

It was really one of the best days I've had, I think this was mainly because I wasn't so tired from climbing..

EDIT_ Kimbers I was well impressed with the minibus & trailer they were very careful not to ding your bike and it was all super secure.

toys19
    Free Member

PS we stopped in the Bengal Balti in Lydney on the way home, curry at 5.45, lovely curry and I know my curries, hence the need for uplift..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘FOD uplift – had a good day yesterday. Warning going downhill only content.’ is closed to new replies.