Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • FoD Mini Enduro 16th
  • prezet
    Free Member

Anyone else racing on the 16th?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, fingers crossed it stays dry 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah in for a penny again…

See if I can sneak into the top half this time round, was just outside last time. Not expecting to though…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    orena45

Yep, I’m in. First race since Ard Rock, which feels like ages ago now!

SOAP
    Free Member

I am. 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

Cool! Good to see a few others racing. I’m not 100% sure I’ll be racing yet – physio wasn’t happy when I told her yesterday as I’m recovering from a rotator cuff injury caused by the last one in April!

kiksy
    Free Member

Yep I’m in for this one. Looking forward to it.

mboy
    Free Member

Soooooo…

Tyres? 😆

Finkill

It was quite dry up there today, I would imagine it’s going to be a bit different tomorrow.

I would suggest something good at mud and roots.

russyh
    Free Member

Looking at some of the stages I ride parts of them or near them regularly it’s been raining this evening and is set to tonight I think. I pretty much run a Mary on the front all year round now, currently on a purgatory rear and that’s pretty sweet around the FOD and some of those trails

mboy
    Free Member

I think they call this choice anxiety…

That’s just the options for the rear, having already struck 4 more off the list as definitely unsuitable!

Fortunately decided the Mary is definitely staying on the front mind…

rOcKeTdOg

Nope, will be riding there though. Tried some of the trails on thursday as they were already taped. Gonna be interesting if the forcast thundery showers turn up

russyh
    Free Member

To be honest it’s been so dry up there lately the rock razor may be ok. But personally I would go for a little more bite from braking if it really does hammer down.

mboy
    Free Member

Was there on Monday, it was bone dry!

2 days of rain and same promised tomorrow morning, and some freshly cut tracks (that I don’t know) and I’ve just swapped the Razor out I’m afraid to say. Will chuck em all in the van though just in case.

rOcKeTdOg
    Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Shorty & Minion as standard.

alexh
    Free Member

Good luck Mboy.
    Glad I didn’t go for a ticket as that would have made my current injury even more depressing.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Four of us racing tomorrow. Thoughts from today’s practice. There’s some great trails, some really nice people, some right knobbers, well two in particular, one being the power ranger in the cafe area moaning about all the “tourists” and the other pushing up stage 2 between the tapes and when challenged asked y he shouldn’t be doing it? It’s gonna be very slippy tomorrow I can imagine and I’ll be happy to get round unscathed. Saw quite a few nervous types hanging around the this way that way rock drop off on stage 3.
    Good luck everyone.

therag
    Free Member

I’m not racing, but rode the four stages today a few times. Stage 3 cambers will be interesting in the wet, so good today in the dust.

kiksy
    Free Member

Really good race today. Stages were loose and slippy but not too boggy, slidy fun!

Taping and organization was spot on. Hope the person who took a tumble on the rocky chute mends up ok.

orena45

Yep, had good fun today…nice mix of stages – although the pedalfest to start Stage 1 seemed neverending!

prezet
    Free Member

Sadly never made racing. My riding buddy had a bad crash on the drop on stage 3 during practise on Saturday and we ended up in Gloucester hospital. Had to get back early Sunday morning to find him an emergency dentist!

Did it end up raining hard during the race?

reevil
    Free Member

Nope.
    Stopped raining before practice, by the time I raced the conditions were pretty good, except for the exposed roots.

They closed that drop on Stage 3. How is he? There were stories of some bloke in a full face losing 4 teeth, breaking pelvis & collarbone.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Practice was a bit crap – there was a lot of standing water, but the tracks got bedded in by race time. 3 was thrashed to bits in practice, but actually fine when racing.

I’ve spent the last 10 days with one of the worst chest infections I’ve had in years, not much fun as an asthmatic so any aspirations of doing well in this race were out of the window.

Caught the guy in front of me on stage 1, promptly then fell off. Good start. Stage 2 I wasn’t looking forward to, was causing me serious breathing issues so ended up on a fast cruise, caught the guy in front again. Stage 3 – was given the heads up it had dried out. Promptly then fell off on the bank at the start, not concentrating. Gave it some beans for the rest & it was great fun, high lines everywhere, corners just slippery/grippy enough to feel great on.

Somehow managed to come 15th in masters. All things considered, I cannot complain!

prezet
    Free Member

How is he?

He’s fine – bit battered and bruised. 2 lost teeth and a slight fracture to an internal bone (sphenoid?). All things considered it could have been much worse! Gloucester A&E were brilliant.

mboy
    Free Member

Glad I never went down on Saturday now! Didn’t get to even see the drop, but sounds like your mate took one for the team so to speak!

Enjoyed stage 1 more than in April (maybe cos we only did it once, not twice!), stage 2 was ace but considering how hard packed it normally is it was really cutting up, Stage 3 was bonkers in practice but come the race run was actually quite good. My concentration slipped a bit on Stage 3 in the Race run and I slipped offline and had to stop, pick my bike up, and get going again costing me 5sec or so, but otherwise pretty happy with my runs.

However… For some reason, out of 250 odd riders, my timing chip didn’t work properly. Wouldn’t have noticed but for a glaring error on stage 2 where it said the guy who went 20s after me’s time was 43s faster… He was certainly faster than me, he probably finished the stage 5s behind me, but NOT 23s in front!

Chris has just emailed me back rather promptly to be fair, he’s looking into it. Looks like mid pack in masters for me once again…

therag
    Free Member

Prezet, good to hear your mate isn’t too bad. He or his Cruz didn’t look good, I was on the orange transition and went down to centre to try to get help.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Prezet

Glad to hear your mate is okay. Was there on Saturday and I took the B line as I’d been riding four hours and could barely stay on my bike by then but heard someone had come off badly down there.

Absolutely love that place tho’

wrightyson
    Free Member

Also had a slight timing issue as I was recorded doing stage 1 in something just over 67 mins 😯
    Text Chris this morning and it was updated. Came 14th in the vets. Not bad I suppose for my third ever “race” only regret in life is I wish I’d been doing it 15 years ago as I may have been alright and less fuelled by pies and stella…

orena45

Typical. Trails are looking mint today going by the Mini Enduro Instagram feed!

Anyway, just banged my race report up on my blog. 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Nice write up orena45

Had email back from Chris. They’d mixed mine and someone else’s timing chips up! Anyway…

62nd out of 110 in masters, finish time of 10min dead… Reasonably happy with that, just outside of the top half again (at least I’m consistent), gives me something to aim for for next year. That said, had I not had a mare on the bottom half of Stage 3 where I ended up stuck on the low line, and stalled twice and had to pick the bike up off the floor, it could have been a lot better. 10 seconds quicker and I’d have gained 10 places!

Big well done to my mate Rich who came 2nd in Masters, and to Beth who came 2nd in Open Womens in her first go at Enduro racing! My mate Joe didn’t do too bad either, 20th in Masters (he seems to gain about 10 places every time he races!)…

orena45

Cheers mboy. Good effort on your part too, was quite easy to lose time on the low line on Stage 3 if you got stuck in it!

prezet
    Free Member

@therag – thanks for helping out! Very much appreciated 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘FoD Mini Enduro 16th’ is closed to new replies.