Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • FoD Downhill Trails
  • singlespeedstu

Are they all signposted?
    Is the uplift any good?

oldtalent
    Free Member

I think signposting is poor, although you will find them all, you possible wont know what they are called, although it doesnt really matter.
    Uplift is epic.

trails

mattkkitch

You wont get lost on the DH tracks, there’s a basic map and some signs, just head down! The uplift is all on a proper road so is super fast and you get loads of runs done.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, the sign-posting is poor. You are unlikely to get lost, but you may not know which track you are on.

I don’t think the tracks are particularly well maintained, either.

The uplift is excellent: It’s a shame the tracks are a bit meh!

Edit: You’ll have a good time, but there are better dh centres out there.

singlespeedstu

Cheers for the link oldtalen.
    Most useful.

singlespeedstu

Anyone know if B+ wheels will fit in the trailer?

ChrisL

The signposting appears to have improved somewhat between my trip last year and my trip last week. Alternatively that may actually be down to me understanding the layout a bit better this time.

The uplift is good but it turns out that the push up path isn’t too onerous either.

I came at the trails from a trail rider’s perspective and had a lot of fun so I can’t comment on what they’re like from the point of view of a proper downhiller on a proper downhill bike.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I was in FOD a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. The uplift was pans because it was the Bell Ride Free thing so it was heaving.

The signposting is piss poor, but I thought GBU was run as was Mr Rooty and Endo. Sheepskull had a few good bits too.

Reckon B+ tyres will be a struggle. My 2.5 Minions filled the rack pretty well.

wallop

Big fan of the FoD uplift here. The drivers are very friendly and the trails are always in excellent condition IMO.

As above, the signage isn’t perfect but once you’ve done a few runs you get the gist of what to do (ie, do one section from the top where you’re dropped off, then once you get to the first fire road crossing you can generally either go left, right, or straight on). The runs are fairly short but the uplift isn’t too long either and I think you can generally get 14-15 runs into a day which isn’t too shabby.

There is also a rather sizeable off piste network which I unfortunately know nothing about – something I hope to rectify this winter.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The tracks are maintain by volunteers who are local to the FOD in general not the people who run the uplifts not the best setup when you compare it to the tracks over Dowies and little Drybrook way.

chiefgrooveguru

The signposting is confusing but the trails are great! I love how rough and natural feeling some of them are. I’ve only ridden it when it’s been dry – some of those root gardens look testing in the wet…

kiksy
    Free Member

Signposting I suppose could be better, but all the DH trails are so close together its pretty easy to see them all when you pedal up.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

trails are great! I love how rough and natural feeling

this plus one

Northwind

It is brilliant tbh. A couple of them are so good I could happily just bomb laps of them all day. They’re absolute geniuses at what I call value, getting the most out of your altitude. It’s a tiny hill, the uplift’s over almost before it starts but it doesn’t feel so small when you ride down.

Do get the map- there’s a map on a signpost deal at the top but it’s not very helpful. The layout is confusing, trails everywhere in a very compact area with some crossing over/very close to each other. And the signage isn’t great. But don’t stress about that, as long as you’re on a trail it’s not that important which one it is really.

(it’s no more confusing than innerleithen tbh, and for much the same reason)

mudfish

Really friendly uplift atmosphere. Beats BPW on that IMO.
    I dont think plus tyres will fit the slots, ask the uplift guys (flyup downhill) via their website
    The DH trails are saud by locals to be quite blown out now, some very deep ruts – they have a LOT of lines but you do get used to them, line choice gives me immense respect for the WC DH guys who can walk a course and learn it so fast. I found it hard to follow the same line each run. . DH trails are a bit blown out but you’ll probably enjoy them depending on your skill / experience / bike suitability.
    As you leave the uplift along the main trail you’ll see Verderers (blue trail) cross from the left. Taking it to the right is a nice run with mostly a downward inclination and you can get to the turnaround in time for the next uplift usually.
    Alternatively go left a little after that crossroads (youll see pink gravel) into the “under construction but allowed” upper extension of the launchpad 4wheeler trail. Leads straight into launchpad after some natural terrain fun. Launchpad is a hoot.
    The launchpad extension needs riding in, youll see it a little after crossing the blue, youll see the pink gravel which will eventually surface it all. Ask Phil the uplift guy if he is on, as he’s been working on that.

singlespeedstu

+ tyres fit in the slots with a little helping hand. 🙂

it’s no more confusing than innerleithen tbh, and for much the same reason

Got a little confused by what was what for the first half of the morning but soon got a feel for where everything was.I’d say it’s not quite as confusing as Inners as there’s not quite as many trails.
    Trails were a bit rougher than I thought they’d be which was a nice surprise.
    Uplift guys were super helpful and friendly as was everyone else we spoke to on the bus.
    15 runs seems like good good value to me and I’m not sure I could have held on for another.

The launchpad extension needs riding in

It was a little dusty but I recon it’ll be quite good when it does bed in.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘FoD Downhill Trails’ is closed to new replies.