Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • FoD DH for beginners.
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I ride the Verderers and Freeminer trails fairly regularly and I’ve got the itch to try some of the DH runs that the forest has to offer.
    I’m ok with drops and small jumps and I’m guessing that I could roll some of the stuff?

I don’t know any one that can show me how, so my questions are.

Flat or SPD’s (I’m normally clipped in)?
    Is it best to use a full face helmet?
    456 (with 140 rev’s) or 26″ Camber (120 FS)?
    Is there a beginner friendly trail or should I play pin the tail on the donkey and let fate choose?
    Shall I get a friend to film it as £200 from you’ve been framed could go towards fixing the bike?

Any advice appreciated.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Flat or SPD’s (I’m normally clipped in)? what your used to.
    Is it best to use a full face helmet? If you have one yes
    456 (with 140 rev’s) or 26″ Camber (120 FS)? Both
    Is there a beginner friendly trail or should I play pin the tail on the donkey and let fate choose? Corkscrew
    Shall I get a friend to film it as £200 from you’ve been framed could go towards fixing the bike? you will be fine, enjoy!

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve been looking at some youtube videos from this month and I might hang on for a week or two, in the hope that a miracle happens and the mud dries a little.

scottfitz
    Free Member

All the DH trails tend to be drier than the XC ones.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Nice thing is that all of the manicured stuff is suitable for any levels. If you don’t fancy a drop off or onto a gravel track walk it.
    As for a bike just adjust your speed and air to the bike. No helmet needed at all if you stay on :lol:Full faces good if you try to chew trees.

bigh
    Free Member

Corkscrew (top half) is a great place to start, GBU needs care on the first run as there are a couple of bigger jumps that aren’t rollable. it’s been awhile since Ive ridden them but I don’t remember any that cant be ridden on a hardtail.

grum
    Free Member

I did an uplift day there and don’t remember anything too scary. Good fun tracks.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I don’t remember any that cant

Or raced 😉

wallop

There are chicken runs for everything. It’s a great intro do DH, IMO.

Just let go of the brakes and GO! 8)

widge34
    Free Member

Corkscrew is probably best. Top section fine, gets a little more gnarly after fire rd.

Karl33to
    Free Member

[list][*]Don’t worry about looking daft – we all did once, some of us still do.[/*]
    [*]Downhillers are a lot friendlier than singlespeeders.
    [/*][*]Wear a helmet. [/*]
    [*]Use whichever pedals you are most comfortable (falling off) with.[/*]
    [*]Don’t try and ride anything you are unsure of blind. Get off the bike and have a right good look at them first.[/*]
    [*]Don’t stop in the middle of the track, some people go very fast![/*]
    [*]Slam your saddle down right out of the way.[/*]
    [*]Don’t be dissapointed if you can’t clear an tricky section on the first, sixth or even twentieth attempt, leave it for another day.[/*]
    [*]Break the trail down into sections and session them over and over before linking them together, you’ll learn much quicker this way.[/*]
    [*]Corkscrew is a great track to start with.[/*][/list]

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I’m really looking forward to getting out there now.
    Is it a faux par to wear glasses under a full face?
    8)

wallop

No – you’ll be going so fast that nobody will see them! 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘FoD DH for beginners.’ is closed to new replies.