Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Focus or Mondeo
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

Thought I would post about my findings yesterday.

Recently sold my Mk2 Focus estate for a Mk4 Mondeo estate.
    The surprised arrived yesterday when I went to throw my bike in the boot. In the focus it was easy, seats down and throw bike in front wheel first no problem. So to my surprise when I tried to do this in the Mondeo it wouldn’t go in front wheel first. Unfortunately the Mondeo’s boot despite being bigger (longer and wider) it is not as tall especially at the opening as the Focus. I ended up putting the bike in backwards but the front wheel then blocks access to the boot.

So in conclusion if all you want is a car for transporting bikes strangely the MkII Focus despite being smaller seems to be the better vehicle. I don’t know about the Mk3 Focus but I imagine that is smaller and tighter than still.

matt_outandabout

So in conclusion if all you want is a car for transporting bikes without taking wheels off

FTFY

I do find the case with so many cars these days – not as practical as the huge size suggests from the outside. See most faux by fours for a start.

servo
    Free Member

FS 29er fits nicely in a Focus MK3 Estate still 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

if it doesnt go in with the wheels off – its failed at being a bike transporter imo – you might as well put a rack on and expose it to all the road grime.

This is why my cars are ugly but actually serve 100% in their sole purpose in life – move my bikes long distances without advertising i have bikes or requiring the bike to be in componant pieces…..

if i could live with taking the wheels off i could drive around in a C1.

Must admit im surprised such a big car is incapible.

jemima
    Free Member

I got my CX bike with wheels on in the MkIV Mondy boot without putting the rear seats down! With seats down its easy to get an XL 27.5″ MTB with wheels on in…

My only disappointment was more due to stealth routed Reverb means I couldn’t get the bike in vertically upside down due to height…

matt_outandabout

Narrow handlebars.

Problem solved.

Northwind

I went from a mk1.5 focus estate to a mk3 mondeo estate and it’s sort of similiar, the mondeo’s far bigger but it’s not so uncanny in its use of space. Not to this extent- I can fit my #enduro 29er and my fatbike in and only have to take off one front wheel, despite 780mm bars on both, which is pretty bloody good- but the boot opening’s not as good a shape and the floor’s higher. You could tell with the focus that they went all out for capacity/usability, it was pretty much a masterclass, with the mondeo it feels more like they’ve gone “Well that’s massive already isn’t it”

craigxxl
    Free Member

Running costs aren’t that different between the cars if you avoid the 18 inch wheels of the Mondeo, although decent tyre in these sizes are getting cheaper.

Pick which one suits your needs best.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Narrow handlebars.

Problem solved.

Yip its the 780mm that cause the problem. I am sure if I wiggled around I might get it in but it would be a pain. Thankfully it goes in backwards, it just isn’t ideal. I didn’t even consider this being a possibility, I knew it would fit as the Mondeo is bigger. Quite a surprise when I tried!

mountainman

Golf MK 3 takes cx bike or mountain bike with front wheel out .
    Hyundai santa fe takes any bike with wheels on n can leave 1/3 rear seat up too.
    Good mpg to 40 plus on 2.0 litre diesel

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve had a Mk2 Focus and a Mk3 Mondeo.

I certainly would not have the Focus over the Mondeo !

Mondeo is better in every way IMO, apart from if you want to put a bike in without taking wheels off by the look of it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Focus or Mondeo’ is closed to new replies.