Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Focus 2.0 Tdci – won't rev freely
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

Happened driving home. Major loss of power. Engine won’t rev above about 2000 – depending on gear. Managed to limp home in 3rd.

Now on the drive. Sounds normal at idle, very slow to rev up (and lumpy). Pullimg away is really really slow. No lights on dashboard

RAC on way, but any ideas? Fuel pump or filter?
    The battery has been playing up (needs changing) – could this have an effect?

mikeyd
    Free Member

Turbo boost hose/pipe popped off somewhere probably.

Check hose connections from turbo, intercooler and inlet manifold

All these connections (will be similar for all tdis):
    http://jmparts.webd.pl/TURBO%20Hose%20Pipe/Ford%20Focus%20MK2%201.6%20Tdci/b.jpg

Inbred456
    Free Member

Intercooler pipe on these tends to go at the bottom bend where oil collects and softens it.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Double post!

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Can’t see any damaged / popped off hoses, though not easy to see; cramp in the engine bay

Inbred456
    Free Member

The split might only open up when it’s trying to boost dumping the pressure. I think the ford part for mine was about £90. Hopefully that is all it is. Any warning lights on dash?

ticsmon

Just prey it’s not the turbo like mine.

somouk
    Free Member

The turbos were renowned for going on the focus, normally when they reach higher mileage.

I’ve had similar with turbo cars before and it’s been a boost pipe loose.

control67
    Free Member

Is it very smokey? My mondeo had similar symptoms that was a split turbo hose. Silicon hose from eBay was under £20 and 10 minutes to fit.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

It is high mileage – a little smokey at full throttle.

It has been making a sort of ‘swooshing’ noise under heavy throttle – could be a sign of a split hose I guess (he says, hoping)

Hopefully RAC here soon, was told to expect a long wait. I guess I’m pretty low priority, being at home

somouk
    Free Member

It has been making a sort of ‘swooshing’ noise under heavy throttle

Does sound a lot like a split hose.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Focus 2.0 Tdci – won't rev freely’ is closed to new replies.