• This topic has 55 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Houns.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Fobbed off by GP? Propranolol content…
  • jairaj

Could you do a trail run with a domestic flight?

Flight time will be ~1hour so you won’t have to put up with it too long and if the drugs didn’t work you could always take the train home?

TiRed

propranalol works pretty quickly, we use it to block the effects of inhaled beta-agonists. Obviously it’s a vasodilator and will lower your blood pressure a little. Personally I’d go back for ONE benzodiazepine. Better relaxation. You have clearly demonstrated a need and no evidence of abuse.

mattyfez

Just have a few vodkas in the bar before hand, enough so you don’t care, but not so many for them to refuse you to fly.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

My partner has used / does use propranolol in relation to controlling anaxiety in a number of situations. It is not a magic bullet.

A single dose prior several hours prior to a situation where she knows she my require assistance controlling her anxiety does work however she has also had to use it for periods of time for long time anxiety and building up to particularly stressful times in her life for example exam periods during uni.

As I said it’s not a magic bullet. I think you will have to look at it as something you take for a period of time prior to the event as even if you don’t realise it you will be having a build up of anxiety prior to the flight itself. I would, not from personal experiences but from close association to, suggest following theGPs advice and use it in the lead up for a period of time to reduce the build up of anxiety that you may not even consciously realise is happening.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

As your employer is asking you to fly, could you ask them to enroll you on one of the fear of flying courses that many airports run? At their expense obviously…

poah
    Free Member

I get the benzos for flights as I can’t take propranolol. Try ad get yourself diagnosed with asthma lol

submarined
    Free Member

Aren’t there a few different makeups of Propranolol medication?
    I know a friend was taking it in one form twice a day and changed to a ‘slow release’ once a day version. Or is this just different pharmaceutical companies?

Up until very recently I took the ‘slow release’ tablets for migraine control. I was told by many people that they needed to build up in your system before effects were noticed, and likewise, now I’m off them it’s certainly taken a good while for some of the side effects they had to become reversed.

Fwiw, someone I know’s mother has various mental health issues that they are in denial of, and hypnotherapy has been a massive help for their previous fear of flying.

footflaps

Just have a few vodkas in the bar before hand, enough so you don’t care, but not so many for them to refuse you to fly.

We have a colleague who is terrified of flying and gets drunk to cope. Doesn’t work well, he just gets agitated then upsets the crew and gets banned from airlines for being a drunk troublemaker. He just can’t manage his fear properly.

pk13

I assumed everyone had a stash of tram/diazaipan at home :mrgreen:
    after years of back pain and a busted knee now thankfully sorted with yoga and looking after my body in a more adult way.

TiRed

I’m not in the least bit terrified of flying. Except Teen2 has almost finished his PPL(A). There will come a time when I am expected to go up with him. I don’t fly (yet) – thought we’d train him first as it’s what he wants to do.

And you thought sitting next to your teenager teaching them to drive was bad enough. He hasn’t had a driving lesson yet!

Tramadol with voldka chasers.

Kryton, you are welcome to sit in the back 😉

5plusn8
    Free Member

We have a colleague who is terrified of flying and gets drunk to cope. Doesn’t work well, he just gets agitated then upsets the crew and gets banned from airlines for being a drunk troublemaker. He just can’t manage his fear properly.

This is a shame, I drink and take drugs before flying, but only a small amount, just take the edge off. I find it works nicely.
    Lets face it 2 pints and a few grams of diazepam puts you exactly where you need to be, relaxed and not too bothered by anything.
    It would be nice for your pal if he could control that.

bigjim

This thread went very silly very quickly

OP, if you are expecting to ‘feel’ the same on propranolol as you do on diazepam then you are only going to think they are not working, they’re very different things. I think you are hoping for the fuzzy stoned embrace of diazepam rather than the completely normal consciousness of propranolol.

Propranalol has been given to you as it limits the adrenaline based physical aspects of anxiety – ie racing heart etc. It works uncannily well for me, though I only take it about an hour before I need to not be a searing shaking mess of adrenaline and maxed out heart rate , eg job interviews, presentations etc, only a couple times a year really.

I think for a long flight I can see why maybe doc wants you to take it for longer before to build up in the system, personally I want it in and out as soon as possible, generally I like adrenaline now and again, if you’ve ever been on propanlol and gone for a bike ride or something that would normally trigger adrenaline and excitement it’s very odd feeling no adrenaline rush, personally I don’t like it. Also propranolol greatly affects my sleep – very hard to sleep on it for me, though I understand regular users get used to it.

It’s very easy to get hold of diazepam online if you still want the warm calming embrace, that’s why it’s so readily available.

5plusn8
    Free Member

It’s very easy to get hold of diazepam online if you still want the warm calming embrace, that’s why it’s so readily available.

Really where??

Caher

I hate flying but I am about to take off any minute!

5plusn8
    Free Member

Whats your flight number we can track you on flightradar and keep our fingers crossed for you.

Houns

Not read all posts….

Some crappy comments on here. Try and take no notice of them Kryton.

I’m on propranolol. Initially told to take them when having panic/anxiety attack, or before facing situation where could have panic attack. That didn’t help. I take 2 x 40mg a day. If I forget dose, or run out I certainly feel the withdrawal, heart races and adrenaline surging constantly through me

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Fobbed off by GP? Propranolol content…’ is closed to new replies.