• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Foaming pee
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Does anyone else's pee have a head on it when it sits in the bowl? Is this bad?

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

You been drinking lots of lager?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Is there already some kind of detergent in the water in the bowl – toilet flush stuff ?

Moses

it depends what I've been eating & drinking.
    IIRC, lots of protein = foamy bowl.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

when you think about it falling water at waterfalls froths – are you tall ?

molgrips
    Free Member

No detergent, bowl is clear after a flush.

I'm thinking protein in the wee, but what I want to know is if a little bit is normal, or does this, coupled with a sore back mean I have some kidney trouble?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Very wierdly, I had some polish smoked sausage on Saturday night, and mine smelt of polish smoked sausage all day yesterday. Really strong, like it does with asparagus. But sausage. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

A motorbiker may have been boiling your piss.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol@cynic! Nice one!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Does the foam tasty salty?

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Protein in piss is not good. Go to the quack.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Christ, you think kidney failure just because your piss has some froth? Any other symptoms to back this up? Did you fall off the bike and twist your back.
    Bet you'd really worry if your poo was smelly! Liver failure perhaps?
    Perhaps get a bit of perspective and it symptoms persist go and see the doc rather than scaring yourself with idle speculation?

DrP

Hmm – could be something, could be nothing.
    How old are you?
    Realistically, foamy pee can be related to what you've eaten, but can also represent renal failure (in the same sense a headache can be a hangover or a brain tumour – other things need to be taken into acocunt.)
    Can you obviously attribute your back pain to a twist/fall?

If I were over 50, with those symptoms, I'd book to see the GP….

DrP

konabunny
    Free Member

or does this, coupled with a sore back mean I have some kidney trouble?

If you google the symptoms, it'll inevitably be some awful terminal disease!

avdave2

This came up a while ago at work after someone had read it was a sign of something nasty. I added some washing up liquid to the bowl and waited for the worried looks.

molgrips
    Free Member

I do not THINK I have kidney failure, I am thinking the symptoms may be indicative of a problem…

I'm 34.. not had any falls or obvious injuries.. back pain started in the kidney area on waking but has come and gone, not as bad as at first but now my whole lower back area side-to-side can be sore in the mornings, regardless of where I sleep. Back seems pretty weak when lifting etc too, that could be a cause of that or a symptom. Also been tired and run down for a long time and biking form has been below par for a year… with various other lifestyle causes perhaps.

Docs it is then I suppose. Can you visit a doc when you're away from home without having to register and all that crap?

DrP

At 34 I'd be less worried than if you were older.
    It's a hard call; back pain is usually just that – pain in the muscles in the back. Coupled with a weak back too I suspect it's muscular, but of course this is the internet and not being able to examine etc makes diagnosis completely unreliable…

This is the sort of thing that GPs are there for TBH; not an emergency, but not quite right… The alternative is book to see the practice nurse for a urine dip – if that's all normal I'd be less worried too (any protein or blood in the urine should be followed up).

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

Ta DrP 🙂

Main thing I was wondering is if it's normal to have a bit of foam from time to time. I guess it's not that common…

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm I see you can buy urine protein testing strips online.. worth it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Perfectly common – depending on what you have been eating.

If it persists make an appointment with the practice nurse to get your urine dipsticked

Moses

What I meant was that a high protein diet can lead to foamy pee because of the excretion products, not that there's actual protein in it. High nitrogen, especially like BD's sausage or hams. I'd not worry about it at all.

big_scot_nanny

I would deffo er on the side of caution here, protein in pee is not good.

(excuse me whilst I drag some of this out my brain, used ot work in this field a bit) 😳

The nephrons in your kidney are designed to filter stuff out your blood and pass it down to your bladder for weeing out. Most of these are very small molecules. Proteins are large molecules, so either your nephrons in your kidneys are not doing their job and letting protein out (acute/chronic renal failure), or something in your system is forcing large amounts of protein out your system through the nephrons and into urine (e.g. v high protein diet, some kind of crush injury that has developed a lot of swelling – the fluid of which contains a lot of protein).

The former is obviously not good, but if caused by something like infection, you can get it sorted fast.

The latter is not that good either as your nephrons are not designed to let that amount of protein out and it can cause long term damage. Had your BP checked? A high BP is a common cause of kidney failure but it is treatable and kidney function can return to normal pretty fast.

I had both an infection and a crush injury a few years ago (infection + dislocated knee– lovely!), kidney's stopped working, get really thirsty, peeing all the time, very foamy pee. Got infection treated and knee sorted and it went away and function is now A-OK.

So, bascially, it ain't great for a number of reasons, get it checked ASAP and take appropriate action to get it sorted!

Kev

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, will do. Was checked a couple of years ago I think for protein, it was all ok. BP is usually fine, we have a home tester from when my wife was preg.

Can you go to a doctor without registering? I am away all week…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Some people have an adverse reaction to being overtaken by motorcyclists when driving in wrong lane causing their piss to, quite lierally, boil.

As a motorcyclist, I am shaking muy head in contempt – read this and go have a pee. bet it's hot and foamy like warm cremola foam

wwaswas

Foaming pee was the first sign we had that my wife was going to have a caesarian.

HTH

molgrips
    Free Member

*chuckle*

DrP

The chance of Molgrips having pre-eclampsia are quite slim I reckon!

DrP

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Foaming pee’ is closed to new replies.