• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by xcstu.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Foam tubing to stop internal hose rattle?
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

No matter how tight I cable tie my hose and cables they still loosen and start rattling in my frame. So im looking for some foam split tubing to slip onto them, just wondering if anyone has done this and where did you get it from?

variflex
    Free Member

specialized do some but u may need to ask your nearest dealer to order you some in as it’s not something they all stock as standard

Onzadog
    Free Member

I assume you mean the cable housing. Does your frame have large ports that would allow you to thread extra material in? If so, you could try slicky back foam draft excluder wrapped in a spiral around the housing.

Decathlon also do some short lengths you could slip over the housing.

blairc70
    Free Member

catapult elastic ( hollow ) you can slide this over the cables or you can use plumbing pipe insulation ( b&Q etc ), depends on how much room you have to get something in.

pobaker
    Free Member

Used this mouldable rubber yesterday on my transition internal routing, seals the cables in tight and stops water getting in to the frame. No rattles at all now!
    https://sugru.com
    Got it at Robert Dyas.

curvature
    Free Member

The cables on my Ripley all run through the head tube so when building the bike up you attach cable ties to the cable housing and leave them uncut. This stops them rattling.

It’s a bit of a pain to do as you have to feed the cables in and out of the head tube whilst doing it.

Have a look on Ibis’s website.

damascus
    Free Member

Plus 1 for sugru. You can also easily remove it and it doesn’t set solid so won’t damage anything

Onzadog
    Free Member

That ibis trick is pure genius.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What curvature says. Uncut zip ties – the tail pushes the cable against the inside of the tube.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Plus 1 for sugru. You can also easily remove it and it doesn’t set solid so won’t damage anything

well that website is like falling down the rabbit hole… I need some of that Sugru stuff in my life and I NEED IT NOW!

the zip tie trick is cool, too…

darrenspink
    Free Member

Thanks all, tried the zip tie method and still had some rattle when I was at Stainburn.

That stuff that specialized uses is what I need so will look into that.

Sugru…wtf! Might just buy that anyway.

SirHC

I fixed the cable rattle by wrapping the cables in strips of self adhesive velcro:

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering if we will see frames wearing from inside out cable rub due to this. I thought they ran some kind of tube from entrance to exit so you can just thread new cable in and it stupa it from rubbing?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Sir hc, don’t have that much of an opening so choices are limited.

Ordered some of that black magic voodoo shit (sugru).

xcstu
    Free Member

I had this trouble and took 2 goes with zip ties which has now worked 🙂 think it’s something a lot of bike companies overlook when designing with internals cables :-/ drove me mad until I sorted it!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Foam tubing to stop internal hose rattle?’ is closed to new replies.