Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Foam rollers, oh the pain!
  • twoniner
    Free Member

Anyone else had or have the pleasure of using one? I have to roll the length of my quads round to the side of my legs and when you have quads as tight as mine it’s ninja!

I now have a cracking physioterrorist who’s getting me sorted but insists on the foam roller 😥

69er
    Free Member

Don’t forget your ITB’s….. 😈

twoniner
    Free Member

Oh yeah, Im doing that too. The worst bit is when you find a painfull ‘knot’ and been told to stop rolling but stay on it till it eases then carry on rolling. 👿

glupton1976
    Free Member

I now have a cracking physioterrorist who’s getting me sorted but insists on the foam roller

I’m not convinced on the benefits of foam rolling. Fascia usually doesn’t tighten up by itself. There has to be something pulling on that fascia to make it tight. In my recent case I had knee pain caused by an imbalance between glutes and a tensor fascia lata. Fixed that by sorting out the imbalance – twas quick and pain free.

Nobby

Been doing it for about 6 years now – I’m not sure whether it gets easier or you just get used to it. Probably the former as I know how much worse it is if I leave it for a few weeks. :-/

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d love to find someone who can spot the root cause of such things!

brooess
    Free Member

After 4 weeks it’s getting less painful. Certainly sorts out sore muscles

twoniner
    Free Member

I’ve had bad knees for years now from exsessive running and riding, probably form all my own doing not streching off properly.

My right knee went really bad about 13 weeks ago to the point where I struggled to walk and it kept me off my bike.

Along with the foam roller I’ve had loads and loads of needle/accupuncture. That was sore having about 6 of those about an inch deep in a line down your ITB and the ones that went in and up under your kneecap 😈

The foam roller is doing the job, it’s loosened me off a treat.

boblo
    Free Member

Quick hijack… So George, what’s the recommended fix for recurring ITBS? First incident cycling, second running. Same knee about a year apart. Ta.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My physio told me foam rollers weren’t great for ITB/quads, stretching is better.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My physio told me foam rollers weren’t great for ITB/quads, stretching is better.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Certainly the most painful way of spending £15 I’ve found so far. Absolutely agonising at first, but I have got used to it… to a point.

I got it to try and sort out ITB too and while it helps, it hasn’t fixed it completely probably because I’m not disciplined enough to use it every day. Anyone else with ITB problems have particularly painful areas at the top & side of the thigh? Can’t seem to get rid of that area of soreness at all.

I should probably stretch more too, but always forget to do this when I’ve warmed up. I’ve read that you shouldn’t stretch when your muscles are cold, is this right?

wrecker
    Free Member

I have to move away from others in the gym when using one; my language gets very colourful rolling on my back.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Quick hijack… So George, what’s the recommended fix for recurring ITBS?

You need to determine what is “tightening” it up and change that. In my view it’s going to be an imbalance between TFL and glutes – sort that out and your ITB pain should go away.

http://www.bettermovement.org/2013/how-does-foam-rolling-work/ interesting link…

molgrips
    Free Member

ITB rolling cleared up my knee pain immediately, on the first go, despite me being sure it wouldn’t. I only have to do it once in a while too.

Last few days though I’ve done a lot of running and my calves are incredibly tight. Foam rolling does not seem to be helping there.

willard

My previous ITB problems were due to weak hips. A few strength exercises for hips helped a lot and, whilst foam rolling also helped, stretching is a more immediate relief to tight quads and ITB.

djglover
    Free Member

I am convinced of the benefits of foam rollers. However, In my view they are treating the symptom of a problem, rather than entirely solving the problem, but certainly massaging the IT band helps me keep running!

I have found that a lot of fell work has worked out the imbalances a lot for me this year and I haven’t needed the roller as much, but after, say, a weeks hard training and a race on the fells the IT band is still horrendously tight,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Foam rollers, oh the pain!’ is closed to new replies.