Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Foam rings in Forks…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Any particular reason I can’t use say, Float Fluid I might already have on Rockshox, or Will I Die?
    I’m assuming it should be fine, just checking there isn’t some crazy foam melting incompatibility and trying to minimise the amount of stuff I have around (shocking brand loyalty fail…)
    Forks are well out of warranty so I’m not worried if that’s the only reason not to…

jim25

I see no reason why not. I’ve used float fluid on RS many times before for that exact thing

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I use synthetic engine oil 5W30 the same as the car

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

It’s the way to go.

don’t clean the foam rings with solvent though… They can expand and be a bastard to get back in.

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm. What to use instead of IPA to clean the foam rings with, then? Bathe them through changes of oil or something?

Scamper
    Free Member

Clean mine in some 5wt oil – seems to work fine.

vincienup
    Free Member

Cool. While slower, I guess a few changes of a small amount of oil in a clean container should have the same effect as solvent with the disadvantage of not flashing off and leaving you with a soaked part, but as you’re going to soak them again anyway before fitting…

Scamper, you’re using the 5wt oil instead of Float/RedRum whatever else on the rings as well as to clean them with?

BrickMan

Open bath forks that run in car oil = use that oil on them to clean out, and then soak for rebuild.

Sealed damper carts = I use float fluid, it lubes the stanchions under the seals and stays put for about 60-100 hours of riding. Easy job to just pop the seals clean and relube these if you feel like it between proper services.

Scamper
    Free Member

Soak in Red Rum after I’ve cleaned them, but presume 15wt does almost the same trick.

failedengineer

I thought that Fox stuff was 80 or 90w gear oil? That’s what I’ve used for years and I haven’t died.

LoCo
    Free Member

That’s what I’ve used for years and I haven’t died.

OMG but there isn’t blue dye in there 😯 😉

I’d be inclined to just replace the foam rings at a 100hr/6 month lower service, as you never get them fully clean

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Foam rings in Forks…’ is closed to new replies.