Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • fml. Recommend me a fold-up bike
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

whatever’s best value. Never thought this day would come

cookeaa
    joshvegas
    Free Member

Back up a second.

A. See above for decathlon.

B. Now this important… There is heehaw wrong with a folding bike none of this fml bollocks. What matters is you are riding a bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

Decathlon is the best budget option, Brompton is better but is much more expensive.

loddrik
    Free Member

Brompton best value IMO. Yes they are expensive, but they are built to last for decades and they retain their value like not much else. Plus they are great fun to ride. I own an S3L and have just bought a new S6L as I love it so much. It’s now the only bike I use.

rhinofive

A horrible Raleigh thing for me, although as I only have to use it about once a month I can just about live with it. Didn’t spend more as always thought it would be a terrible compromise, albeit one better than being sat in traffic

scaredypants

depends what you want it for – 5 miles each way from home to a rural station or 3/4 of a mile round a flat city ?

I had a cheapo, heavy, singlespeed one for a mile each way round portsmouth from the free car parking. It was great and folded small enough to easily fit the boot of my car. Perfect for me and was 30 or 40 quid, used.

robvalentine

Brompton. Streets ahead of the competition in terms of quality, and folding ability. Also being UK based, much better warranty support if you ever need it (unlikely).

More expensive, but much better value IMO, especially if you find your need for a folding bike is temporary, and you want to shift it. .

RobHilton
    Free Member

Brompton best value IMO. Yes they are expensive

Brompton…

More expensive, but much better value IMO,

They’re either good value, or they’re expensive 😉

My parents bought a pair of folders that cost very little – they turned out to be death-traps, which I took to the tip for my parents’ safety. They were expensive 🙂

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Check out the Kansi range, they are more comfortable than the Bromptons due to the 20″ wheels.

otsdr
    Free Member

They’re either good value, or they’re expensive

Not really; good value means you’re getting your money’s worth. “Expensive” is more subjective and only refers to the sum paid. You can’t say the cheap death-traps were expensive, they were just not good value.

Anyway, not being overly impressed with my Brompton, I can’t imagine just how awful those other folders are ; I did evaluate a Dahon for a friend where the seller thought nothing of the huge play in both the handlebar and frame hinges (not fixable via the adjustments).

woffle
    Free Member

Best ‘riding’ folder – if you’re doing miles and speed of fold / size of fold is less important – then, from experience – Airnimal.

If you want something that you need to be able to fold down in seconds and stick under the desk – Brompton. If you’re doing minimal, flat miles and you can stick the ‘clown bike’ jibes, then Strida bikes are grand but you’d not want to do anything more than a short station run on one. They collapse ‘long’ (if that makes sense) but really easy to wheel around the tube etc.

As said ^^ – the ‘budget’ end can be a false economy. Bromptons are ££ relatively but they’re popular for a reason.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my parents have dahons. I’ve borrowed them on occasion and they are pretty good. 20″ wheels on some models too.

phinbob

If you are using it for commuting on public transport: Brompton. Nothing else folds as well and still rides ok. Get the two speed – good balance of lightness and having some gears, although I had to go for a smaller front chainring. Also get the bag that clips to the front, it actually seems to improve the handling.

A folding bike usually means you are getting more riding in, not less, which is a good thing. Plus, when the roads or trains all go to crap you can just hop on the bike and go. When I was commuting to London I was able to avoid massive delays quite a few times be riding an extra 10 miles. I’ve flown with mine on work trips and had mini adventures before a day of conferences and meetings.

Folding bikes are ace.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just to add, I don’t commute. I just love riding my Brompton. The fact that I can take it anywhere is a bonus.

ThePinkster

We have 2 from Decathlon which we throw in the back of the car when away in the caravan. Both have been excellent, provided you’re not planning on doing too many very steep hills, or want to go fast, as the gearing is a bit lacking.

Great for disused railway type cycle paths and pootling round back lanes in the countryside though.

kaiser
    Free Member

yes bromptons are quirky and convenient but tbh I don’t like the twitchy ride with narrow bars much and would hate to have to use one as my main bike like Loddrik does above. Had mine since 2002 with loads of mods incl v brakes and granny ring but foldability comes with compromise obviously . If an airnimal was always OK on buses I’d probably prefer but for quick fold and size little beats it.Just in the process of fitting wider BMX bars which may affect fold size but will make for a much better ride for me personally.

jaminb
    Free Member

If you fancy trying a Brompton for an extended period try Brompton Bike Hire – docking stations at most major train stations and £3.5 per day. If you are buying new you can reclaim £100 worth of hire fees as a discount off a new Bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘fml. Recommend me a fold-up bike’ is closed to new replies.